• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Harbaughs, Jim and John

Started by vu72, January 27, 2013, 01:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Many of us will of course remember Jim Harbaugh coaching San Diego to resounding wins over our Crusaders, but I for one had not realized just how competitive these guys are.

Yesterday I caught part of Bryant Gumble's show on HBO where a women was interviewing the two of them as well as their dad.  This was a while ago prior to anyone thinking about the two of them coaching against each other in the Super Bowl, but they both were head coaches in the NFL at the time.

So John is telling this story about just how competitive Jim has been his entire life.  It went like this: John: "Jim is playing little league on a co-ed team, he's about 10. He is pitching and was a little bit bigger than the rest of the kids anyway. So this girl comes up to bat and Jim nails her right in the middle of the back with a pitch".   The women interviewer now looks at Jim.  Jim:  "Yeah, she was crowding the plate"!

Can't wait to see the game...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2013, 01:30:32 PM
Many of us will of course remember Jim Harbaugh coaching San Diego to resounding wins over our Crusaders, but I for one had not realized just how competitive these guys are.

Yesterday I caught part of Bryant Gumble's show on HBO where a women was interviewing the two of them as well as their dad.  This was a while ago prior to anyone thinking about the two of them coaching against each other in the Super Bowl, but they both were head coaches in the NFL at the time.

So John is telling this story about just how competitive Jim has been his entire life.  It went like this: John: "Jim is playing little league on a co-ed team, he's about 10. He is pitching and was a little bit bigger than the rest of the kids anyway. So this girl comes up to bat and Jim nails her right in the middle of the back with a pitch".   The women interviewer now looks at Jim.  Jim:  "Yeah, she was crowding the plate"!

I'm reminded of the 3rd season Cheers episode where Sam agrees to play in a charity softball game arranged by the local Playboy club (where the opposing team includes numerous Playboy Bunnies).  He comes strutting back into the bar after tossing a one-hitter or some such thing, disappointed to find everyone in the bar mad at him.  Norm complains, "Why'd you have to bean <what's her name>?"  "Hey, she was crowding the plate.  Inside half belongs to me!"

At this point, Diane gives him a reality check.  "Sam, your competitiveness just cost you a romp in the hay.  I'll prove it to you.  You were playing in a softball game with a whole bunch of beautiful women who were running the bases and shaking their fannies as they did it, and you decided to beat them instead of bed them."

Sam Malone: <facepalm> Oh my God.

vu72

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 27, 2013, 07:47:37 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2013, 01:30:32 PM

I'm reminded of the 3rd season Cheers episode where Sam agrees to play in a charity softball game arranged by the local Playboy club (where the opposing team includes numerous Playboy Bunnies).  He comes strutting back into the bar after tossing a one-hitter or some such thing, disappointed to find everyone in the bar mad at him.  Norm complains, "Why'd you have to bean <what's her name>?"  "Hey, she was crowding the plate.  Inside half belongs to me!"

At this point, Diane gives him a reality check.  "Sam, your competitiveness just cost you a romp in the hay.  I'll prove it to you.  You were playing in a softball game with a whole bunch of beautiful women who were running the bases and shaking their fannies as they did it, and you decided to beat them instead of bed them."

Sam Malone: <facepalm> Oh my God.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015