• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Pat Haden and ML conference

Started by setshot, October 03, 2013, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Rumor has it that ML contacted Pat Haden relative to the procedure he used relative to the  fireing the USC football coach. Seems that ML may want to take the sames steps at" Dear Ole Valpo. Can anyone verify this RUMOR? :o

VULB#62

How/where would such a rumor originate and then get all the way to the Carolinas?    ???

You're messing with us, right?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 03, 2013, 07:25:08 PM
How/where would such a rumor originate and then get all the way to the Carolinas?    ???

"Book it!"
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Like I told my friend who said that maybe the firing of Kiffen would open the eyes of Valpo admins, "ain't gonna happen. Valpo doesn't think anything like USC. They actually care a great deal about football at USC."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: historyman on October 03, 2013, 10:16:32 PM
Like I told my friend who said that maybe the firing of Kiffen would open the eyes of Valpo admins, "ain't gonna happen. Valpo doesn't think anything like USC. They actually care a great deal about football at USC."
[/b]

Now that is a low blow indeed.  To suggest Mark L doesn't care about success in football is nonsense.  He has release coaches who have been in place for a long time (football, women's basketball, baseball) not because they weren't great, fine, Christian people, but rather because they weren't performing as expected.  Perhaps we don't make moves based on multi million dollar programs, but no one wants wins more then Mark L.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: vu72 linjk=topic=1576.msg36531#msg36531 date=1380859098

Now that is a low blow indeed.  To suggest Mark L doesn't care about success in football is nonsense.  He has release coaches who have been in place for a long time (football, women's basketball, baseball) not because they weren't great, fine, Christian people, but rather because they weren't performing as expected.  Perhaps we don't make moves based on multi million dollar programs, but no one wants wins more then Mark L.
I never have equated Mark LaBarbera as one of those who didn't care about football. His hands are tied to some extent.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Quote from: setshot on October 03, 2013, 06:48:14 PM
Rumor has it that ML contacted Pat Haden relative to the procedure he used relative to the  fireing the USC football coach. Seems that ML may want to take the sames steps at" Dear Ole Valpo. Can anyone verify this RUMOR? :o

Good one, setshot, good one!   ;D ;) :lol:
Quote from: VULB#62 on October 03, 2013, 07:25:08 PM

Yes, he is messing with us! 

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on October 03, 2013, 10:58:18 PM
[/b]

I agree that USC cares more about football at their level than VU does at our own level.  Caring more doesn't mean that VU or ML don't care about football, just that USC has more on the line ($$$).  ML has done a fine job with many of the other programs at VU.  Carlson's hiring looked good on paper - success building other programs - but that has not materialized at VU.  From my limited knowledge, it appears that Carlson had a system that really worked with his previous athletes and conferences.  His upbeat nature and recruiting are noticed on the roster with returning players, especially with players staying over the summer to work out together.  However, the same mistakes are being made on offense, defense, and special teams - which is an indicator that Carlson and the staff are not adapting to the players they have, not adapting the game plan week to week, and not doing a good job teaching the fundamentals. 

It probably pains ML to watch some of these mistakes made by the team, especially in year four of the Carlson era.  ML will most likely make changes at the end of the season, and will be looking at the coaches for their past experience in adapting, teaching and recruiting.  ML cares, and I trust his judgement when it comes to the betterment of VU athletic programs. 

usc4valpo

Setshot, this is great comedy.  Could you imagine that?  Fight on, the Trojans will some day soon get better, beat UCLA and ND and make Kelly's hot head face explode. Who knows who they will get as coach. 

As a alum of Valpo and USC, I am totally cognizant that the importance of football to these schools is certainly night and day.  Haden had no choice but to fire Kiffin - alums are upset, he had several boneheaded incidents, recruits are backing away, they lose to Wazzu, etc., etc.  Like Ohio State, Texas or Alabama, USC has a great football tradition.  However, they are not as dependent on the revenue it creates compared to most schools.  They have many avenues from alumns to generate more revenue than needed.  I actually enjoyed college football more when I went to USC, basically because during my Valpo days the Big 10 sucked and Valpo football under Cookie was weak yet full of comedy.  Pac 10 football with UCLA, Washington was excellent. 

Haden has actually been a gentleman and was very patient with Kiffin.  However, enough was enough.

If Valpo was going to bag Carlson during the season, they would have done it during the bye week.  Now that they beat Campbell, they may consider giving him tenure because he is such as good person.

Cliston94

When it comes to VU football, the sad fact is that it doesn't matter what kind of coach Carlson is. The deck is stacked against him or anybody else who might one day take his place. Neither the university, the community, the students nor the alumni give any kind of real support to the program. It's an afterthought. Basketball, baseball, softball, bowling, volleyball, etc., have all had success, but football always lags behind. I graduated from VU in 1994, and I thought then, as I still do, that the university largely kept the program in place so that alumni would have a football game to attend for homecoming. Until the university makes football a real priority, the program will continue to win one or two games a year no matter what kind of coach is brought in, and maybe post an occasional season here and there with a couple more wins than that. There gets to be a point when a university has to ask itself honestly how committed it is to a particular sport and, if it isn't, why it continues to bother.

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on October 03, 2013, 06:48:14 PM

What I heard is that ML is trying to buy property in the Manhattan Beach area and he asked Pat Haden to introduce him to.............................................http://www.edgewoodnewmexicohomesforsale.com/biothekniffinteam/.

THE KNIFFEN TEAM

And everyone knows there's nobody like Pat Haden and the KNIFFEN Team to put the KNIFE in the back LANE of Coach KIFFEN.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/lane-kiffin-owes-usc-loan-on-5-million-dollar-mansion--foreclosure-fired-airport-100113

Report: USC could foreclose on Kiffin

usc4valpo

covufan

Maybe Haden and ML can make a midseason trade - Valpo buys Kiffen's mortgage for $25.00, gets Kiffen as coach, and sends Carlson out west?

historyman

Quote from: covufan on October 05, 2013, 03:37:19 PM
Maybe Haden and ML can make a midseason trade - Valpo buys Kiffen's mortgage for $25.00, gets Kiffen as coach, and sends Carlson out west?
I'm afraid it would end a lot like the cell phone plan where a thief pretends to have a gun and asks for the victim's cell phone. Eventually the victim demands the thief take the phone, his charger and pretends he has a gun in an attempt to relieve himself, the victim, of the cell phone.

usc4valpo

Dale Carlson at USC press conference.   I can only imagine that.  That can be a screenplay for a movie.

Lane Kiffin on the sidelines at Brown Field with his Denny's menu playlist, and he and his trophy wife trying to raise revenue for the school.  That would be a trip.