• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU FB vs. Bye

Started by VULB#62, September 14, 2013, 06:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUOR63

Good for him.  Ask any of his players and they'll tell you what a damn good Def Coordinator he was.

LaPorteAveApostle

enough of this hypothetical matchup.

What about VU FB vs. Bayh?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 20, 2013, 09:00:54 AMenough of this hypothetical matchup. What about VU FB vs. Bayh?
Bayh?

wow, I feel something is missing in my daytoday, no loss to discuss on a Saturday.  It will be interesting to see how SD and Butler do against the Ivy League schools.

VULB#62

I was at both the Butler-Dartmouth and USD-Harvard games last year in New england. They both were competitive (staying fairly close ) for 3 quarters and then they eventually ran out of steam (or the Ivy schools found their true high gear) and lost.

Butler lost 7-35 and was behind 7-21 at the half.  USD lost 13-28 but was up 13-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter.  At the time I believe I posted a comment or two on how just staying close keeps you in a football game against superior opposition.  After the Harvard loss, USD scored 51 the next Saturday against VU and the following week BU scored 56.

If you go to the BU or the USD websites you'll see the big-time promotion attached to these games -- USD has a $10,000 give-away going. BTW at Butler, the tailgate lot opens at 10AM.  That made me recall earlier strings about the fact that the Valpo pre-game experience is rather dull, further lessening the appeal of Crusader football for the fans.

Also of note:  These are the first games of the season for the Ivies, so the Pioneer teams will have 2 or 3 games under their belts going into the contests.  For that reason, look for close first halves.

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 21, 2013, 08:48:22 AM
I was at both the Butler-Dartmouth and USD-Harvard games last year in New england. They both were competitive (staying fairly close ) for 3 quarters and then they eventually ran out of steam (or the Ivy schools found their true high gear) and lost.

Butler lost 7-35 and was behind 7-21 at the half.  USD lost 13-28 but was up 13-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter.  At the time I believe I posted a comment or two on how just staying close keeps you in a football game against superior opposition.  After the Harvard loss, USD scored 51 the next Saturday against VU and the following week BU scored 56.

If you go to the BU or the USD websites you'll see the big-time promotion attached to these games -- USD has a $10,000 give-away going. BTW at Butler, the tailgate lot opens at 10AM.  That made me recall earlier strings about the fact that the Valpo pre-game experience is rather dull, further lessening the appeal of Crusader football for the fans.

Also of note:  These are the first games of the season for the Ivies, so the Pioneer teams will have 2 or 3 games under their belts going into the contests.  For that reason, look for close first halves.

It's kind of amazing that so many other universities can have things like tailgating and a true fan experience, while at Valpo it seems like it would be the end of the world and discouraged.

Since you brought up Butler they even have a shuttle bus running from campus to Broad Ripple (concentrated bar area) from 6pm to 3am on weekends. You can't even get on the campus bus at Valpo for fear of being arrested for PI.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

In all fairness Butler is encouraging people to an area where this kind of thing happen.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130920/NEWS/309200069/Marion-County-grand-jury-indicts-Westfield-man-Broad-Ripple-shootings

I'm not condemning Broad Ripple but whenever alcohol mixes with certain elements then this kind of thing can happen.

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on September 21, 2013, 01:49:58 PM
In all fairness Butler is encouraging people to an area where this kind of thing happen. I'm not condemning Broad Ripple but...

Seriously? I have been out in Broad Ripple dozens of times at 3am (or later) and never felt unsafe, nor has my wife and any of her friends even when they were out by themselves. Yes, things can happen, but that's the rare exception rather than the rule. Given the large number of people out and about in Broad Ripple having something like that happen to you are minuscule at best. Yes, there are some issues in Broad Ripple, I live here I watch the news, but by and large I consider it a very safe and well patrolled area.

By that logic nobody should go out at IU because Lauren Spier was murdered after leaving a bar in Bloomington.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

And for Valpo it could have been worse...

Ohio State 76 Florida A&M 0 - Ohio State had 600+ yards of total offense vs. 80 for Florida A&M...

And not to be left out of the blowout party...

Louisville 70 Florida International 0 - Louisville had 400+ yards of total offense vs. less than 40 for Florida Int.

covufan

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 21, 2013, 09:33:59 AMYou can't even get on the campus bus at Valpo for fear of being arrested for PI.
Valpo has a campus bus system?  If the bus system runs past the closing time of the library on Friday and Saturday nights, wouldn't the main purpose be to transport people who might have had a drink or two, thereby keeping them out of cars and off the roads?  I hope this fear is nowhere close to true.  Somehow, I can believe it though.