• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Morehead State @ Valpo

Started by VULB#62, October 13, 2013, 11:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chef

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 19, 2013, 09:07:27 PM
I listened to the game on WVUR.  It was evident that Iclow's enthusiasm was dropping throughout the game, particularly after Valpo was up 14-0.  My feeling is that Morehead State was turning the ball over in the first half and Valpo take advantage of the opportunities.  In the second half, the MSU offense took complete control.

Iclow mentioned that VU's defensive line has been "outstanding" this year.  I think he listens too much to Lou Holtz.  Improved yes, but outstanding?
For The record I don't think the defensive line has been outstanding this year, but has played better of late, and has been much better than they were a year ago.

VUdad

Hard to win when we convert 3 of 14 3rd downs and they go 10 of 14 (stats on Valpo's web site).

LaPorteAveApostle

PEOPLE WHY HAS NO ONE COMMENTED ON THIS YET
QuoteMorehead State running back Rob Harden gave the Eagles (3-4, 3-1) a 35-28 lead late in the third on a 1-yard touchdown run, his second score of the game.

ROB HARDEN STICKS IT TO VALPO ONCE AGAIN

could it be his son?  some of you might see a resemblance:
http://www.msueagles.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2756&path=football
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

yes, I heard that name and wanted to forget about Mr. Congeneality.  Back in 1983-84, coach Tom Smith's biggest mistake was bringing in a slow 5'10" guard with extraordinary shooting skills, an extraordinary ego and social skills that would make Dale Carnegie want to cringe.  He was a VHS legend who would turn the program around; however, his presense led us backwards.

A dark moment in Valpo basketball was an early January game in 1984 against a weak Eastern Kentucky team, where the Crusaders were down, Harden was off and Greg Mostello could not save the day.  I do not remember all the details, but I think he was having pleasantries with assistant coach Dick Fick and there was as slight disagreement, including a one finger salute.  The next day, Rob was driving on I-80 to Reno, and no one on campus was disappointed.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 20, 2013, 10:35:31 PMA dark moment in Valpo basketball was an early January game in 1984 against a weak Eastern Kentucky team, where the Crusaders were down, Harden was off and Greg Mostello could not save the day.  I do not remember all the details, but I think he was having pleasantries with assistant coach Dick Fick and there was as slight disagreement, including a one finger salute.  The next day, Rob was driving on I-80 to Reno, and no one on campus was disappointed.

Well if we were expecting Gregg Mostello to the save the day we were in real trouble.  Perhaps the Boone Grove graduate you are thinking of was John Meyne who basically carried us for his two seasons here.

usc4valpo

Sorry, I was joking about Mostello.  Mostello has opportunities to improve, let's put it that way.  John Meyne was a decent player and a nice person.  He was the anti Rob Harden.

The slogan in 1983-84 was "Next Year is Here."  Valpo won 8 or 9 games that year.  The Valpo community was attending the games because of Harden and Meyne, but the season was a bust, especially after the incident.  Based on expectations, it was probably Tom Smith's worst year at Valpo.

willy

Quote from: VUdad on October 20, 2013, 10:28:24 AMHard to win when we convert 3 of 14 3rd downs and they go 10 of 14 (stats on Valpo's web site).
At some point Valpo has to want to win the game.  It's great to have such a high completion percentage but that will not win you the game.  I'm tired of watching us throw a six yard completion when its third and twelve.  Players and coaches need to make decissions at crucial junctures in the game that will lead the team to victory.  I have watched us slide short of the first down marker twice this season that I think has cost us games,once at St. Joes and once on Saturday. After each the opponent has gotten the ball marched downfield and taken the lead for good and won the game.  At some point you have to make a play to WIN the game for your team.

milanmiracle

Quote from: willy on October 21, 2013, 09:26:42 AM
Quote from: VUdad on October 20, 2013, 10:28:24 AMHard to win when we convert 3 of 14 3rd downs and they go 10 of 14 (stats on Valpo's web site).
At some point Valpo has to want to win the game.  It's great to have such a high completion percentage but that will not win you the game.  I'm tired of watching us throw a six yard completion when its third and twelve.  Players and coaches need to make decissions at crucial junctures in the game that will lead the team to victory.  I have watched us slide short of the first down marker twice this season that I think has cost us games,once at St. Joes and once on Saturday. After each the opponent has gotten the ball marched downfield and taken the lead for good and won the game.  At some point you have to make a play to WIN the game for your team.

And that is the biggest thing lacking with both this staff and this team. Knowing how to win. I'll just leave it at that.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado