• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Leading Into the 2014 Football Season

Started by VULB#62, June 12, 2014, 06:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 05, 2014, 12:58:24 PM

If Drake loses to WIU by 30+ points and has a comparable score against Truman as we have with St. Joe's (win or lose), it should give us an indication of whether we will be on a competitive level with Drake (or not) at least on paper. Yes?     ::)

So do you think Drake will lose to Truman by 21 or more points?

Valpo doesn't have a chance in the PFL if they don't have a huge turn around. I wonder how bad VU will lose to Butler. Butler people! They were seriously thinking about discontinuing their football program. I'm beginning to think in the end this may be the better option. Did Butler's basketball success somehow turn their football program around? There are many schools that are great academically, are successful in other sports and don't have a football program.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on September 07, 2014, 03:19:12 AM

If Drake loses to WIU by 30+ points and has a comparable score against Truman as we have with St. Joe's (win or lose), it should give us an indication of whether we will be on a competitive level with Drake (or not) at least on paper. Yes?     ::)

So do you think Drake will lose to Truman by 21 or more points? {You obviously knew the score (13-7 Drake in OT) when you asked the question as the game was in the books 5 hours before your post.}   

Valpo doesn't have a chance in the PFL if they don't have a huge turn around. I wonder how bad VU will lose to Butler. Butler people! They were seriously thinking about discontinuing their football program. I'm beginning to think in the end this may be the better option. Did Butler's basketball success somehow turn their football program around? There are many schools that are great academically, are successful in other sports and don't have a football program.

I posted this as some fun with speculation on what similar games might possibly tell us, not to justify the existence of a program.  It almost sounds like you are taking joy in the fact that Valpo lost by 21 to prove your point. The fact is, we got beat by a better team with 25 football scholarships (but I think our admission standards are higher).

Now, back to trying to have some speculative fun with similar games.  Assuming Drake loses to WIU, who is coming off a not-disgraceful loss at Wisconsin (37-3), by 30+ points, that might mean that while losing to Drake at home (by maybe 14?) it should be a pretty hard fought game.  Of course all bets are off if Drake makes it a game against WIU.  Like I said, just speculating.  We'll know a bit more next week and the final score on 10/18 will prove out any speculation.

IndyValpo

Quote from: historyman on September 07, 2014, 03:19:12 AM

So do you think Drake will lose to Truman by 21 or more points?

Amazing us with more facts...when was Butler seriously thinking about dropping football?

I think Butler laid 72 on us last year. I doubt they do that again, but.....

I don't think anyone here thinks we have a chance to do much damage in the PFL.

VULB#62

They also recently (2010) rebuilt Butler Bowl.  From their website:

Now seating 5,647 after a $2.6 million renovation in 2010, the Bowl now features bleacher seating for 5,039 across the west side of the field - including 250 chairback seats - as well as capacity for 434 for visitors along the east sideline.

The pressbox provides a great view for the Bulldogs coaches, gameday staff and Butler supporters. The pressbox, is 3,330 square feet and stretches between the field's 30-yard lines. It seats 100 and was made from 145,000 bricks sourced from the Indiana Brick Corporation.

The pressbox, which cost $1.5 million, is the home of Butler's Champions Room, a gameday hospitality area, as well as working space for staff, home and visiting radio and home and visiting coaches. There is also a 2,400 square foot observation deck on the top for video cameras.