• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Seed Matchups Final Four and Championship

Started by Just Sayin, March 31, 2015, 10:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

In past tournaments since 1985, in Final 4 and Championship Rounds:

A 1-1 matchup resulted 32 times and team 1 won 16 times and team 2 won 16 times, a 50% chance for either team.

A 1-7 matchup has happened only once and the 7 seed won.

covufan

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 31, 2015, 10:12:57 AMA 1-1 matchup resulted 32 times and team 1 won 16 times and team 2 won 16 times, a 50% chance for either team.
Wouldn't it be 100% that a 1 seed won?

Are you saying that the 1 seed that wore the home whites won 16 times?  I think it has only been in the last few years that have they really announced the actual seeding of the 1 seeds.

Just Sayin

Quote from: covufan on March 31, 2015, 10:18:38 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 31, 2015, 10:12:57 AMA 1-1 matchup resulted 32 times and team 1 won 16 times and team 2 won 16 times, a 50% chance for either team.

Are you saying that the 1 seed that wore the home whites won 16 times?  I think it has only been in the last few years that have they really announced the actual seeding of the 1 seeds.

This is just matchups for two one seeds playing each other. I doubt they were ranked and I'm not sure how the guy who did this split them up, perhaps by which region or side of the bracket or perhaps it doesn't matter? Now that you mention it, it must be 50/50. Duh!
Anywho, here is the link for these stats:

http://rotoguru2.com/hoop/mad/seedwl.html

covufan

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 31, 2015, 10:50:47 AM
Quote from: covufan on March 31, 2015, 10:18:38 AM

This is just matchups for two one seeds playing each other. I doubt they were ranked and I'm not sure how the guy who did this split them up, perhaps by which region or side of the bracket or perhaps it doesn't matter? Now that you mention it, it must be 50/50. Duh!
Anywho, here is the link for these stats:

http://rotoguru2.com/hoop/mad/seedwl.html

Hmmm.  From the rotoguru site, he is saying that in either the semifinal games or final game, that two #1 seeds played each other 16 times.  Then he says that team #1 (not sure how it is broken out) won 16 of those games, and Team #2 won 16 games. 

usc4valpo

I predict a Big 10 final - Wisconsin - Michigan St. and Wisco wins it all in a thriller.

Just Sayin

I think they started ranking all teams from top to bottom beginning in 2012 and therefore the top four number one positions were known. I can't find anything before 2012 other than perhaps the top number one seed was listed with the other three unranked. So one might want to take a look at how these number one seeds have faired against each other since the 2012 tournament. Theoretically, they all should meet in the final four.

Top 4 number one seeds in:

2012   KENTUCKY - SYRACUSE - NORTH CAROLINA - MICHIGAN STATE
2013   LOUISVILLE - KANSAS - INDIANA - GONZAGA
2014   FLORIDA - ARIZONA -   WICH.ST -   VIRGINIA
2015   KENTUCKY - VILLANOVA - DUKE - WISCONSIN

valpospartan

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 31, 2015, 01:55:11 PM
I predict a Big 10 final - Wisconsin - Michigan St. and Wisco wins it all in a thriller.

I was with you until the last 7 words.

bbtds

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 31, 2015, 10:50:47 AMThis is just matchups for two one seeds playing each other. I doubt they were ranked and I'm not sure how the guy who did this split them up, perhaps by which region or side of the bracket or perhaps it doesn't matter? Now that you mention it, it must be 50/50. Duh!

I'll bet that 100% of the time the team that moved on or was the overall national champion won the matchups of the number 1 seeds. That I know for sure and is all that matters.

How do they decide who is the home team when two seeds of the same rank (can only happen in the play-in/first round and final four games) play each other in the Big Dance?

usc4valpo

Bill Raftery, not my cup of tea as a an announcer, sounds like Snagglepuss. Exit, stage right....