• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo - Duquesne (9/17)

Started by covufan, September 15, 2011, 11:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rford2009

I've never posted on here before.  I just read all the posts to stay informed.  ValpoBy7, you just earned an amen from a student, and the students have noticed the positive changes.  You can count on them rooting like heck for Valpo against Morehead next Saturday!

valpo64

Glad to see the positive comments by ValpoBy7 and rford 2009.  I too am tired of reading all the negatives by some posters who perhaps should keep their thoughts to themselves.  It appears rather obvious that our program is improving.  Some of these negative comments are detriments to the program and positive attitudes and things that are starting to happen with our football program.  It is disturbing to me to have the players and their families see some of these postings.  It's obvious that they are committed to changing our program for the better along with a great coach who is committed to  do the same.  GO VALPO!

setshot

Indeed we are improving. For example,last year (2010-11)in our 0-3 start VU scored a total of 14 pts. while giving up 137 pts. This year(2011-12) in our 0-3 start VU has scored a total of 62 pts.,while giving up a total of 175 pts. Progress? Go Valpo! ???

valpopal

Quote from: valpo64 on September 23, 2011, 09:10:52 AM
Glad to see the positive comments by ValpoBy7 and rford 2009.  I too am tired of reading all the negatives by some posters who perhaps should keep their thoughts to themselves.  It appears rather obvious that our program is improving.  Some of these negative comments are detriments to the program and positive attitudes and things that are starting to happen with our football program.  It is disturbing to me to have the players and their families see some of these postings.  It's obvious that they are committed to changing our program for the better along with a great coach who is committed to  do the same.  GO VALPO!

Where are all these negative posters I hear about? I just read this whole thread and found one negative poster, someone whose repeatedly negative comments have become expected on about any topic and tedious enough that I know to ignore. In other threads, any negative comments I have seen were not about the players or the coach, but about the scheduling, and most of those posters acknowledged that the team has improved this year, offering compliments to Coach Carlson.

In fact, the thread that I started about the great article on VU football by Fox Sports showed how supportive members of this board are of the players and coach. I talk to some of the players just about every day, and believe me, they hear comments from fellow students that are tougher than any on this list. I have witnessed them. Yet, these players have thicker skin and deal with the critical comments or jokes just fine, even add their own.

This is a discussion board, and I would expect different opinions are welcome, especially if the intention is constructive, which is how I see the large majority of comments. Unfortunately, as on any such forum, there will be one annoying poster who is provocative to bring attention to himself. Still, I doubt the players I see interact with other students each day would tell others to keep their thoughts to themselves.

valpo04

Quote from: valpopal on September 23, 2011, 09:51:53 AM
Quote from: valpo64 on September 23, 2011, 09:10:52 AM
Glad to see the positive comments by ValpoBy7 and rford 2009.  I too am tired of reading all the negatives by some posters who perhaps should keep their thoughts to themselves.  It appears rather obvious that our program is improving.  Some of these negative comments are detriments to the program and positive attitudes and things that are starting to happen with our football program.  It is disturbing to me to have the players and their families see some of these postings.  It's obvious that they are committed to changing our program for the better along with a great coach who is committed to  do the same.  GO VALPO!

Where are all these negative posters I hear about? I just read this whole thread and found one negative poster, someone whose repeatedly negative comments have become expected on about any topic and tedious enough that I know to ignore. In other threads, any negative comments I have seen were not about the players or the coach, but about the scheduling, and most of those posters acknowledged that the team has improved this year, offering compliments to Coach Carlson.

In fact, the thread that I started about the great article on VU football by Fox Sports showed how supportive members of this board are of the players and coach. I talk to some of the players just about every day, and believe me, they hear comments from fellow students that are tougher than any on this list. I have witnessed them. Yet, these players have thicker skin and deal with the critical comments or jokes just fine, even add their own.

This is a discussion board, and I would expect different opinions are welcome, especially if the intention is constructive, which is how I see the large majority of comments. Unfortunately, as on any such forum, there will be one annoying poster who is provocative to bring attention to himself. Still, I doubt the players I see interact with other students each day would tell others to keep their thoughts to themselves.

:clap:

valpo95

Great post by ValpoBy7. 

I think all of us want to see success on the field.  I was pretty negative on the prior coaching staff, but that was after seeing such poor (and declining) performance over time, and my harshest criticism was in year 5 of the prior regime.  In year 5 of coach Carlson's tenure, I think we'll see a team that is in the upper half of the PFL, and probably competing for a conference championship.

The last two games were against far better programs than Valpo, with bigger, faster and stronger athletes on both side of the ball.  I'm interested to see what will happen in the next few weeks with teams that provide a more apples to apples comparison.   

setshot

The North Coast Conference would be a perfect fit for VU. :thumbsup:

historyman

Quote from: setshot on September 23, 2011, 01:55:53 PM
The North Coast Conference would be a perfect fit for VU. :thumbsup:

You're the first one to mention the North Coast Conference.

Quote from: vu72 on September 22, 2011, 08:51:11 PM
Great post.  I had no idea that The Northeast Conference was allowing scholarships in football.  That is a recent change.

Did you misread the post or did you just decide to hijack this thread and talk about the North Coast conference and further your own unique agenda?

Maybe someone should ask Brad Stevens why he coaches basketball at Butler in the Horizon League instead of Depauw, his alma mater, in the North Coast conference. The North Coast Conference, by the way, includes Wabash, Depauw, Wittenberg, Denison, Allegheny, Hiram, Kenyon, Oberlin, Ohio Wesleyan and Wooster.