• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GRITTY!!!

Started by VU2010, January 03, 2019, 08:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2010

I for one loved the gentleman holding up the "Gritty" sign. Grit is a buzzword for some - yes. But, there's actually some meat to pull off the bone on the topic. Take, for instance, Angela Duckworth's book, Grit.

If you haven't read it and/or aren't familiar with grit, here's a brief summary. As for me, I am 100% in favor of being known as a gritty team. We're not going to get Bluechips like Duke or Kentucky or Kansas. We're not going to be known for our glamour. Heck, our colors are brown and gold lol. But, we can be known for being gritty. And, we can embrace the steelworker, blue-Collar identity of the region. Made my day to see Lottich fight for his guys. Show emotion. Get the fans involved. Golder has been gritty from day 1. Came out of a juco and EARNED his spot. Came off the bench and worked. Ya - I'd build a program around him. He's energetic, athletic, competitive, and yes GRITTY.

Here's the summary of Duckworth's book:

In this instant New York Times bestseller, pioneering psychologist Angela Duckworth shows anyone striving to succeed—be it parents, students, educators, athletes, or business people—that the secret to outstanding achievement is not talent but a special blend of passion and persistence she calls "grit."

Drawing on her own powerful story as the daughter of a scientist who frequently noted her lack of "genius," Duckworth, now a celebrated researcher and professor, describes her early eye-opening stints in teaching, business consulting, and neuroscience, which led to the hypothesis that what really drives success is not "genius" but a unique combination of passion and long-term perseverance.

In Grit, she takes readers into the field to visit cadets struggling through their first days at West Point, teachers working in some of the toughest schools, and young finalists in the National Spelling Bee. She also mines fascinating insights from history and shows what can be gleaned from modern experiments in peak performance. Finally, she shares what she's learned from interviewing dozens of high achievers—from JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon to New Yorker cartoon editor Bob Mankoff to Seattle Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll.

Among Grit's most valuable insights:

*Why any effort you make ultimately counts twice toward your goal
*How grit can be learned, regardless of I.Q. or circumstances
*How lifelong interest is triggered
*How much of optimal practice is suffering and how much ecstasy
*Which is better for your child—a warm embrace or high standards
*The magic of the Hard Thing Rule

Winningly personal, insightful, and even life-changing, Grit is a book about what goes through your head when you fall down, and how that—not talent or luck—makes all the difference.

VULB#62

Great post 2010. Nice research on Duckworth's book. From another string there was a post about GRIT just being a marketing ploy that will run its course. Maybe for the casual fan, but if a program is built on what Duckworth describes, it becomes part of every player's DNA that is reproducible in every new addition to the program.

It doesn't matter that you got knocked down 9 times.  It does matter that you get back up 10.  That's pluck, that's perserverence, that's dedication, that's guts, that's grit. When you look at how Matt played at Stanford, you see it. It's taken a while for it to emerge, but I hope this effort to infuse the inner Matt into this program  is gonna work.

Valpo Joe

Time to think of them as "The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band"  :thumbsup:

Valpo Joe

Find a tune that exemplifies the team from The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and make it their theme song  :twocents:

oklahomamick

There has to be more solutions to the game than "Grit" or work harder.  Players don't need cheerleaders as a coach. 

We have all played for that coach that demands to play harder, run faster, shoot better, be stronger.  As players we need the why, when and how.  That's guidance, instruction, teaching.  A.K.A. coaching.  The 6 games we lost is because we didn't have enough grit...?  Grit can only get you so far.

I do admire the research by VU2010 and picked up on a couple things.   
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

I read the book and I thought Angela Duckworth did great research. Passion and perserverance is critical for success. I currently see that in Matt Nagy in how he coaches the Chicago Bears, and the success in Mike Lindell in his pillow invention.

Angela Duckworth also spoke at the Global Leadership Summit in 2017, leading me to buying her book.

wh

Our new theme song:
VALPO GRIT - YOU GOTTA GET YOURSELF SOME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTY-xEdf74

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo Joe on January 03, 2019, 09:01:28 PM
Find a tune that exemplifies the team from The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and make it their theme song  :twocents:

Since Valpo's resurgence (if you can call it that) seems to be exemplified something in kin to a light going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6LrA1uCxD0

humbleopinion

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 03, 2019, 09:25:03 PM
I read the book and I thought Angela Duckworth did great research. Passion and perserverance is critical for success. I currently see that in Matt Nagy in how he coaches the Chicago Bears, and the success in Mike Lindell in his pillow invention.

Angela Duckworth also spoke at the Global Leadership Summit in 2017, leading me to buying her book.

Just a note.  I have really tried to stay out of this conversation.  As an educator who has followed Duckworth for years, her work has come under criticism as schools across the country have tried to put her theory into practice.  It has become clear that environmental supports are necessary for a person to demonstrate GRIT. It has led to blaming students who do not have the environmental support (e.g. a parent who nurtured in early years). This criticism may have little to do with the basketball team, but the insistence on students developing grit and the programs that were narrowly focused to do so have not been successful and have fallen into disfavor. Carol Dweck's work on "Mindset" is more nuanced and better respected.

As for me, I will do my part to support the team from the stands whenever I can and give credit whenever I see the effort that leads to peak performance.
Beamin' Beacons

usc4valpo

I totally agree that you have to have the proper environment to apply grit. The environment needs to enable passion and drive, which I agree is not always easy or even feasible.

VU2010

Yes environment matters. But, come on - jump aboard the Grit Train! We've got some mojo going here! All aboard!!!!!

VULB#62

And if anyone can create that nurturing/supportive but demanding team environment, Matt would be one of those.

usc4valpo

agreed, and the fan base and the university needs to be consistently engaged too.

NativeCheesehead

GRitty, GRoovy, GRavy, GReasy, as long as we keep winning I'm GReat with it.

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 04, 2019, 11:19:33 AM
GRitty, GRoovy, GRavy, GReasy, as long as we keep winning I'm GReat with it.

Wanna buy a t-shirt?

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 04, 2019, 11:13:54 AM
agreed, and the fan base and the university needs to be consistently engaged too.

Whatever it freakin takes to get the fans in the seats, dammit.

VUGrad1314

I almost made one myself but I'd be too busy yelling and cheering to hold it up on any consistent basis. I guess maybe that's my way to help the team.  ;D

VUBBFan

VUCPB alum

We don't want to be too gritty or we'll end up like the Philadelphia Flyers mascot, who coincidentally is named Gritty

VUGrad1314

Is there such a thing as too gritty?

wh

VUGrad1314

What was hypothesized last November...

Quote from: wh on January 14, 2019, 10:58:02 PM
You have to be gritty to make a half court shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0umfKlrB2k

Was confirmed in January...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2TNV_LKZM

The data is in and the experts agree...

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 09, 2019, 12:35:47 AM
https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1082888472820678656

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 09, 2019, 12:30:38 AM

https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1082887083352621056

Successful halfcourt heaves and subsequent winning streaks are the gains of grit.

Stay Gritty my friends. Go Valpo!