• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler @ Valpo (2/24) Game Thread

Started by staxawax, February 22, 2012, 09:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on February 28, 2012, 07:42:51 PMInteresting to see that even some Butler posters have toned down the rhetoric of these "absolute" type of statements "He's the best shooter in the country, hands down" and "Butler will be a preseason Top 10 team next year".  I don't think there is any doubt that Butler has some very good talent coming in to the program with Rotnei Clarke and Kellen Dunham. Do they make Butler a more complete team by filling the programs need for outside shooting? Clarke has proven his worth in the SEC, something that Dunham should be able to do in the Horizon if not next year then certainly in the future.

Just a side note. Clarke had surgery on his foot for a bone issue. Two bones were fusing together and he had them surgically seperated. Rotnei himself said he would be ready to go by summer. He was in a wheel chair at the WSU/BU game tonight.

KL31NY

Quote from: zvillehaze on February 28, 2012, 09:15:39 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on February 28, 2012, 11:11:29 AM
Quote from: chef on February 27, 2012, 11:39:35 PM
As someone that's voted for the Mr. Basketball award numerous times, I'd admit the system is flawed. This is precisely why my guy could say weeks ago that he feels it will be either Harris or Ferrell. 95 percent of the voters will not see all of the top players in the state play. Almost every year, the Mr. Basketball winner is the highest rated player in the state. Luke Zeller was an exception, but geography was a big part of that, along with the way the state title game played out. I believe 5 of the last 6 Mr. Basketball winners were McDonalds All-Americans. Harris and Ferrell are McDonalds All-Americans, Dunham is not. This does not mean Dunham isn't having as outstanding a season as the other two. It also doesn't mean he won't get more votes if Pendleton Heights wins the state title and he plays huge in that game. The bottom line is when you have 300 voters around the state the couldn't pick the guy they're voting for out of a lineup, reputation carries the most weight.

I'd say he's pretty much right on the money here. There are exceptions of course, but it really comes down to Ferrell or Harris, with Ferrell getting the nod because he stayed in state. I don't know if it's so much the IU bias, as the in state bias. That being said, Dunham is picking up steam here in the Indianapolis area. It could get interesting, but in the end the only way Dunham wins is if he gets a state title and does so in amazing fashion.

My guess...Ferrell

Harris with 35 points, 22 in the 4th quarter and game-winning three at the buzzer to beat North Central.  That'll leave a mark.

Gary Harris 3 Pointer to Beat North Central -- 2/28/12 ... now that's how to rush a court, Valpo student section  ;D
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

milanmiracle

Yep. Watching the ending to that game was pretty amazing, even on replay. I suspect that doesn't hurt his chances of being Mr. Basketball.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

lowposter

Well, if that didnt cement Mr. Basketball, I dont know what it would take. 

It is an outstanding senior class of Indiana High School talent.

lowposter

staxawax

Quote from: lowposter on February 29, 2012, 03:40:42 PM
Well, if that didnt cement Mr. Basketball, I dont know what it would take. 

It is an outstanding senior class of Indiana High School talent.

lowposter
I would absolutely agree with this.  Every voter in the state can see "the play' on ESPN.  That's exposure!  It would take a quick out by HSE (maybe by Carmel?) and something amazing by Ferrell or Dunham to change anyone's minds.

Nildogg