• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Football @ Campbell

Started by VULB#62, October 30, 2012, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Book it.  A rare breed sighting: Footballacis Winningus.  Seen only once annually and only against teams wearing orange and black.

valporun

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 03, 2012, 02:29:23 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 03, 2012, 02:26:45 PM
My guess is from now on every time their game comes up, VU FB's theme song will be:

"The Camels are coming, hurrah, hurrah"

The Campbells Are Coming

Is it possible to schedule 11 games against the same team?

That would be a "milanmiracle", wouldn't it?

historyman

The humps will be hanging really low tonight.

A 20 point loss to VALPO!!!!!!!!!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Good job football players, relish this for another week and come out ready to beat another poor Davidson team.  Morehead State may be difficult on the road as they are crushing Davidson right now, but maybe we can squeak out a 2 win season!
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Valpo Win!  Valpo win!

As Harry Caray said after the Cubs won the division in 1984:

"We're all going to get loaded tonight!"

Extend's Carlson's contract before it's too late - USC may be looking soon....

If we beat Davidson and finish with two wins, is that enough to keep Carlson another year?  Personally, I don't think beating two terrible PFL teams in three years and getting blown out most of the other games earns you more time.  Hoping the powers that be keep it in perspective when evaluating Carlson's future.

Happy for the players today though. They deserved the W!

KL31NY

Well, this is pleasantly surprising. When I made that "14-0" post a few hours ago I felt like we were done. We had a lot of games start that way where we would fail to score on a promising drive and the game went downhill from there. Nice job fighting through adversity on this one. Hopefully we can come out of the chute a little better next week.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

milanmiracle

Quote from: valporun on November 03, 2012, 02:42:20 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on November 03, 2012, 02:29:23 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 03, 2012, 02:26:45 PM
My guess is from now on every time their game comes up, VU FB's theme song will be:

"The Camels are coming, hurrah, hurrah"

The Campbells Are Coming

Is it possible to schedule 11 games against the same team?

That would be a "milanmiracle", wouldn't it?

Fantastic! If Valpo could get 11 wins you can call it "frog" for all I care!!! Ha ha
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Finally!  We played like 1st Crusade Crusaders instead of 3rd or 4th like usual.

(...Too soon?)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Quote from: 90 on November 03, 2012, 03:12:16 PM
If we beat Davidson and finish with two wins, is that enough to keep Carlson another year?  Personally, I don't think beating two terrible PFL teams in three years and getting blown out most of the other games earns you more time.  Hoping the powers that be keep it in perspective when evaluating Carlson's future.

Happy for the players today though. They deserved the W!

Always happy for the kids.  Davidson IMO is a toss-up next Saturday despite being blown out by Morehead.  Valpo can win IF... they (1) stop Davidson's first drive and establish a winning tone (2) don't fumble away a ball for a TD on their first drive, (3) don't commit a slew of stupid penalties, (4) run the ball effectively (encore, Mr. Hudson!) (5) play smart (don't try to block a punt in Q4 when you're up 2 scores and wind up giving them the ball back). The coaches control 4 out of the 5 through preparation, sound game time coaching and play selection.  But my fear is that this will be a repeat of 2011, because the momentum of a win will not be properly optimized, and Davidson will capitalize on Valpo mistakes.  Morehead, if they are on, will move the FB better than we can ever defend -- even on a good day.  They beat Davidson 49-14 and have scored 119 points in the last two games while giving up only 42.  But take heart, Campbell score 28 on them.  Another slight thing in our favor is that next week they have to go to USD before they play us.

To answer your question 90, IMHO, beating Davidson should not be enough to warrant retaining the staff.  3 wins against the league weaklings in three seasons  (only one of which {Campbell}, so far, is a statement), non-competitive blowouts against all other PFL teams (especially this year), and two losses each to a D-III and a D-II team OOC in three seasons should be the governing perspective.

usc4valpo

BTW, sarcasm aside, congrats on a big win for these kids who are busting their tails off.  I wonder when was the last time a Valpo RB had a game like that - Mr. Hudson, you are the man!

Also, I was happy to see that Howard Beale's pep talk made a difference. 
;)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 01, 2012, 05:27:44 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 01, 2012, 03:22:27 PM
Quote from: covufan on October 31, 2012, 05:50:00 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on October 31, 2012, 12:22:54 AM
i don't understand why anybody predicts this team to win anything right now.
Well, picking them to finish close hasn't worked.  Maybe if I pick them to win the game will be close?

Valpo 27
Campbell 23

if that's your reasoning, i'd say pick them to win big. maybe then they'll win. ;)

Let's not get carried away  :lol:

our bullsh!tting must have worked, milan. same time next week? :)

valpotx

Would have been when Horton was last playing
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Yep, Jeff Horton 253 yards against Wisconsin Lutheran in 05.  Next best is 191 by Dave Newman in 1977.

vu72

My hats off to the kids who have worked so hard, being out manned and against more experience.  It must have been very tough to keep grinding at practice, hoping, that things would get better.  Now, with a road win (when was the last one?) they can beat Davidson and maybe Morehead and end the season with some positive momentum.  Let's all hope so...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 03, 2012, 04:44:31 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on November 01, 2012, 05:27:44 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 01, 2012, 03:22:27 PM
Quote from: covufan on October 31, 2012, 05:50:00 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on October 31, 2012, 12:22:54 AM
i don't understand why anybody predicts this team to win anything right now.
Well, picking them to finish close hasn't worked.  Maybe if I pick them to win the game will be close?

Valpo 27
Campbell 23

if that's your reasoning, i'd say pick them to win big. maybe then they'll win. ;)

Let's not get carried away  :lol:

our bullsh!tting must have worked, milan. same time next week? :)

Count me in!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado