• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Could it happen again??

Started by vu72, January 19, 2013, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Detroit is beating the tar out of UIC, 43-13 with 4 to go in the first half!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Probably not.  Now 53-14 at half.   :o :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I bet they run up the score at the end
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

After blowing the Valpo lead, does one forgive them for not taking the starters out?

Detroit "only" extended their lead by 12 in the second half.  98-47 final. 

LaPorteAveApostle

4:36 to play, up 51:  Ray McCallum Jr misses a 3-pt shot.

You stay classless, Detroit.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

HOLY CRAP...I've never seen THIS--STL, you ???

from statsheet:

Detroit Game Notes:
This game was statistically over in the 1st half with 0:01 left to go.

wow.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Even sooner, I think.  Before McCallum's layup with 35 seconds to go in the first half (from whenever Minnerath rebounded UIC's missed 3). 

Though it didn't stay "statistically over" for the rest of the game.  (Indeed, I suppose that part's not so unusual.)

HC

Ridiculous, at least they seem to be accepting the role of the villain

talksalot

OK... Wright State gets on the bus tomorrow morning for a Monday game at Calihan... Do we want UDM or WSU to win?  I'm saying UDM.

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on January 19, 2013, 10:21:23 PM
OK... Wright State gets on the bus tomorrow morning for a Monday game at Calihan... Do we want UDM or WSU to win?  I'm saying UDM.

No, UDM, we want them to be playing four to meet us in the title game.

HC

Detroit? C'mon talksalot, cheering for WSU all the way. WSU more likely to lose more games then Detroit throughout the rest of the year IMO

vuweathernerd

Quote from: HC on January 19, 2013, 10:51:30 PM
Detroit? C'mon talksalot, cheering for WSU all the way. WSU more likely to lose more games then Detroit throughout the rest of the year IMO

agreed. need to maximize the number of losses the titans have when possible. hopefully detroit playing 3 games in 5 days will wear them out. don't really expect it, but we can dream.

talksalot

All I'm saying is that a UDM win, puts a little cushion on first place... it is early!!  I agree that WSU will lose more than UDM.... 

Keeping the pressure on this VU team seems to work!    WSU has to go to UDM Monday then YST on Wednesday... a tough week on the road.  UDM plays monday, then is off until a visit to Loyola on Saturday.  AND, I see UDM plays at the Nutter on the 31st... just 10 days after the game at Calihan.   

bbtds

Imagine if Butler hadn't decided to go early to the A-10. Those longer periods without a game would have included a game against Butler. The Bulldogs look like they would have run away with the Horizon League title. Butler beat Gonzaga in the battle of the Bulldogs last night at Hinkle, 64-63. Roosevelt Jones steals an inbound pass with 3.5 seconds left and throws up a desperation floater in the lane that some how goes in for the Butler win. It makes me so sick.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: talksalot on January 20, 2013, 09:50:01 AM
All I'm saying is that a UDM win, puts a little cushion on first place... it is early!!  I agree that WSU will lose more than UDM.... 

Keeping the pressure on this VU team seems to work!    WSU has to go to UDM Monday then YST on Wednesday... a tough week on the road.  UDM plays monday, then is off until a visit to Loyola on Saturday.  AND, I see UDM plays at the Nutter on the 31st... just 10 days after the game at Calihan.   

that's exactly it - because wsu will likely lose more over the course of the season, we need them to beat up on detroit when they have the chance.

chef

I'll be rooting for Wright State, and it has nothing to do with the standings.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on January 20, 2013, 04:09:17 PMI'll be rooting for Wright State, and it has nothing to do with the standings.

+1, where 1 = the internet

LaPorteAveApostle

McCallum vs. Broekhoff:  A POY case-study.

Both test subjects were at home, in danger of losing a crucial game, and had been held to six points on the night.

In the last ten minutes, when the game was on the line:
McCallum vs. VU, 1/17
0-3, 0 pts, 3 AST, 3 REB, 3 TO, 1 foul

Broekhoff vs. WSU, 1/19
3-4, 12 pts, 3 AST, 4 REB, 0 TO, 0 fouls

In the last 2 1/2 minutes or so, when VU made both pushes:
McCallum vs. VU, 1/17
0-2, 0 pts, 1 TO

Broekhoff vs. WSU, 1/19
3-4, 12 pts, 1 AST, 2 REB

any questions?

FWalum

Man this thread is all over the place.  Wasn't this suppose to be about the UDM UIC game?

Since it has morphed into a thread about the WSU UDM matchup and POY, I will say that we want WSU to win because we need UDM to have the worst possible seed in the tournament.  They are extremely unpredictable and dangerous and I really don't want to face them two more times this season.  Anything that diminishes that possibility is what I will root for.

POY has not really been a contest so far IMHO, Ryan by a mile especially with the head to head meeting stats and result.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

dude, how long have you been on this board?  You know we don't start a bunch of new threads, we just choose the nearest applicable one and keep tacking on. 

I forgot to mention that Broekhoff's 12 points in the last 2:17 of the WSU game was a pace, over 40 minutes, for over 210 POINTS A GAME.

wh

Speaking of Detroit, as many things as they do well, their interior defense is horrible.  They only best GB by 8 at home - with cougill only playing 6 min.  In the rematch at GB I would expect brown and cougill to have a field day.  Very likely that will be a Det. L.  Looking ahead playing GB in the tournament would be Detroit's worst nightmare.

KL31NY

92-62 W vs. Cleveland State tonight

The play-by-play on the box score isn't perfect since the sub in/sub out notes aren't lined up (how hard is it to keep five men on the court at once, stat guys?). Given the other play-by-play, it appears that at least McCallum, Minnerath, and Calliste were still playing with under 2 minutes to play during the blowout.

Honestly, how can Detroit put its key players in that position? Even in their other blowouts, those guys were off the floor sooner than that. Seriously, it's probably gonna take an injury for Ray Sr to finally put some thought to how to handle these late-game situations with his team.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: KL31NY on February 12, 2013, 09:27:05 PMfor Ray Sr to finally put some thought to how to handle these late-game situations with his team.

bro, i'm pretty sure he's proven himself incapable of handling ANY late-game situations with his team.  remember game one...