• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce on the other end of "The Shot"

Started by valpopal, May 11, 2013, 10:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Some on this board will forever remember the name Jaraan Cornell and this moment the way I do, as a painful memory: Bryce on the other end of "The Shot." (See video at the link.) Also, it is sad to see Tim Bishop in the video, as well as to note the huge crowd and enthusiasm before the unfortunate switch to class basketball.

The drive back to Valpo from Indy that evening was the longest and quietest ever, as nobody knew what to say. However, in the 19 years since then much has been said and the shot has come up often in conversations or arguments at diners and high school basketball games. As much as I like and admire coach Punter, I questioned aloud the defense with players inside the lane when only a three-pointer could tie the game as I watched from the stands: I didn't understand it then, and I still don't.  ???

http://www.wndu.com/sports/headlines/Clay-hires-Colonials-legend-Cornell-as-new-girls-head-basketball-coach-206741681.html

LaPorteAveApostle

I'll never get over it either.  It's been almost 20 years and I can't imagine ever clicking on that link, let alone wanting to.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

If I'm not mistaken, 89 (who was covering the game) would tell you that Punter *did* tell them to guard the 3-point line and they didn't follow through.

I was there, too by the way -- tickets were birthday gift from my Dad.  I faded in and out of consciousness on the way home, but my Dad's CB picked up a conversation from a trucker and a boy back in Valpo talking about the game that was good therapy.