• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football....on a positive note

Started by IndyValpo, October 07, 2013, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Check this out...this website actually ranks all college football teams and has us 589 out of 752.  Perhaps not so positive...hopefully the football schedulers will see this and get us 3 preseason wins next year.

http://www.sports-ratings.com/college_football/power-rating-all-divisions.html

Milton

1. Baylor                      4-0   89.70   94.78 [  1]    5.07 [ 74]
9. Alabama                     5-0   69.55   57.99 [ 34]  -11.55 [  4] 

Not sure I'd put much stock in this EITHER way when they have these folks ranked 8 slots behind Baylor...

VULB#62

It is score margin based.

Some other observations:
Amherst (D-III) 254
Drake 255
Butler 274
Middlebury (D-III) 282
Franklin (D-III) 283
Campbell 536
Davidson (0-5) 569
Gallaudet (hearing impaired) 586
Valpo 589

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 07, 2013, 02:24:47 PMGallaudet (hearing impaired) 586
Valpo 589
perhaps our players have grown deaf to his pleadings
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Wow, MIT is only 20 spots below Valpo, and if there is a school where academics have the highest priority, it is there.  Jeez, how can we be only 20 spots above the Big Bang Theory Express?

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 07, 2013, 04:14:50 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on October 07, 2013, 02:24:47 PMGallaudet (hearing impaired) 586
Valpo 589
perhaps our players have grown deaf to his pleadings

I once watched Indiana Deaf School play LHSI (Indy Lutheran) and it was extremely interesting to watch. The deaf players were sometimes arguing with each other and the hands and arms were flying all over the place after some plays. I have never seen a coach as animated as the Deaf coach when he felt his team was wronged by the refs. He might as well have been doing flips. The coach had a voice but couldn't speak but he could make a noise. Wow! Could he make noise.

Lutheran beat IN Deaf that night 60 something to 20 something.

My trip to the refreshment stand was one of the most interesting things. I was lucky to have one of LuHi's teachers, who taught sign language and had a deaf husband, come up to the stand when I was trying to order. She was trying to do a lot of educating while she was at the stand but it fell on............ooops. I did find out the sign for mustard though.

Despite the whooping Deaf took, there were some very talented players on their team. They just didn't have enough of them.

VULB#62

Concordia Prep, Bronxville, NY (back when it existed) used to schedule JV FB games against NY School for the Deaf. Games were always competitive, but because they couldn't hear a snap count, the OL had to watch the ball being snapped.  That was a great disadavantage for the NYSD OL, because so did the opposing defense.

But we digress.

bbtds

I think the center snapped the ball on his count. Of course the players were watching the center anyway. Most of the time he would slap or stomp on the ground and then center on the second count. I think the OL would turn their heads after the first/second/third stomp/slap knowing the ball would be snapped next. For the most part unless it was an egregious offense the refs didn't call offsides. Also I believe the refs used special whistles.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 08, 2013, 05:32:09 AMBut we digress.
Always.

Always.

I'm often the reason for that.  My days in seminary were spent a couple stops up the Red Line from Gallaudet, and I never tired of watching them speak to one another.  You almost envy them, even though that's not quite the right word, since you knew they knew what you were saying, but you would never know what they were.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa