• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

@ Drake 10/10

Started by VULB#62, October 03, 2015, 03:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

The trip back from Davidson will be sweet.  The Victory Bell should start ringing about midnight.  But starting Sunday AM it's on to Drake.

VU2624

They fly back tomorrow.

Long live ESPN!!!!

They list us as 2-3 and 1-1.

VULB#62

I will not acknowledge the  :rant:  scrimmage.  We are 1-3, 1-1. 

About that scrimmage.  I once asked Dale Carlson why we don't have a controlled scrimmage in pre=season like some D-III schools.  Answer: at D-I that is prohibited.  I know Coach Cecchini was not trying to beat the system, but it kinda worked out that we got a scrimmage in anyway.  Hee, hee.

VULB#62

Some random thoughts:

(1)  Our kids should feel good about the win, but....
(2)  They should realize they did not play as well as they could have, and...
(3)  They need to work very hard to get better because in the future....

Drake beat Stetson on 10/26 41-3 @ Drake
Stetson then pushes Dayton (a much better team the pundits think) today 14-27 @ Stetson

Why aren't things simpler  ???

VU2624

Maybe Dayton thought it was a vacation to Central Florida?

usc4valpo

I will be at the Drake game in the "greatest city in the world," Des Moines, Iowa. BBQ at Jethros before kickoff. See you there!

VU2624

It will be interesting to see how Valpo's offense attacks the Drake defense. Drake will make it tough to run the ball and they'll attempt to limit the hot receiver. This is what they did last year. Probably will need to spread it around a bit if the ground game gets slowed which is very likely.

covufan

I think we play well in first half, but lose it in fourth quarter.

Valpo  24
Drake  31

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on October 06, 2015, 11:57:41 AM
It will be interesting to see how Valpo's offense attacks the Drake defense. Drake will make it tough to run the ball and they'll attempt to limit the hot receiver. This is what they did last year. Probably will need to spread it around a bit if the ground game gets slowed which is very likely.

On the O side, I'm thinking a lot will ride on how much Ryan advances from Davidson to this Saturday. So much of performance depends on confidence. And if between last Saturday and this coming Saturday the game slows down for him just a microsecond, it will help. 

On the D side our secondary and front 4 have got to play better and not make stupid mistakes. Part of that is getting off the field more and when new guys are rotated in that they also don't make mistakes. Depth-wise, We gotta be 2 deep smart and 2 deep disciplined.

I don't know why but we somehow almost always find a way to stay close to Drake. Hope the same is true on Saturday.

We are still #252/253 but our raring score went up a tad. Poor Davidson, they are at less than 2.0. They are in the Carlson death spiral that we experienced for 4 years.

usc4valpo

Is there going to be a tailgating or alumni event going on at Drake?

FLValpoParent

The Parents are Planning to Tailgate starting around 10AM in Lot 2.

VU2624

Picture accompanying the pre game notes has a caption rightfully lauding Frank Catrine for his fine game last week. Unfortunately none of the three Crusaders pictured is Frank Catrine.

VULB#62

usc4valpo

My daughter and I will be slamming BBQ at Jethro's before the game. Please feel free to join us.

valpotx

Clarke is playing abysmally today.  He is missing wide open WRs and RBs, and not even close on some throws.  This is the first game I have watched, so I hope that it is just a rare occurrence for him.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

We were at the game and my daughters were wondering why Valpo does not bring their cheerleaders to their games. Is that typical and why is it?

Vinny

I've been to a number of road games - both football and men's basketball. Cheerleaders don't travel. It's probably too expensive.

usc4valpo

Post game analysis:

1. The defense worked very hard and played well for the most part. Drake was gratuitously treated to excellent field position through the game, which put the Valpo defense  in a difficult situation. In general, the run was stopped early on, but I think the defense was getting tired as the game went on. The pass defense was good, but I am not sure it that contributed to Valpo's effort or if was because Drake's passing game was inept. Overall, give accolades to the defense.

2. Offensively, the first drive was very promising, but after that it was pathetic. Clarke was struggling big time - overthrowing receivers, dealing with pressure - it was rough. Screens were not working - the RBs need to go North-South and think they can pull a Barry Sanders like move. The o-line was missing assignments. The running game could not get established and they were poor on converting on 3rd and short situations. Very frustrating.

3. Officiating was poor. Where do the Pioneer league pick up these guys?

4. Special teams need help.

5. What will it take to bring cheerleaders to games, particularly those not requiring air travel? How expensive is it? 5 or 6 hotel rooms for a night and meals?  I think it helps in providing a better college football experience.

chef

In 23 years of the PFL, I can't recall ever seeing road cheerleaders at any game for any team.

usc4valpo

Thank you for the reality check Chef

VU2624

Defense played well in the first half but gave up too much early in 2nd half. I don't think this was a wear down issue since the defense wasn't on the field all that much in the first half.

Offense. Ugh. How do you run 50 plays on offense in a half and not score? In general, QB struggled with accuracy and decisions. For this offense short game needs a lot of work. Even on some passes completed there were better options downfield.

Not sure of personnel in this game. Running up the middle into the strength of Drakes defense wasn't going to work. You need to run it to keep them honest but Bhall should not have been a big part of this gameplan. Much more chance of success outside which may have opened up the middle of the field both in the run and pass. It's been mentioned before but why do we run a guy on play one and he comes out to run another guy on play 2. Too many trends can be picked up this way. The 2 best all around backs are not playing enough in my opinion.

I realize protection is an issue but the TE/H is the opposite of last year. Last year's guys were essentially lineman who couldn't or shouldn't have been counted on in the passing game (and drove me nuts when the coaching staff counted on them to make a catch in a big spot). This year's group can't provide nearly the protection or force in running game but can catch the ball. They are essentially big WRs. With a couple of exceptions I think running 4 wide instead of the heavier package might be more efficient for the time being.

At WR we too often lineup with our best WR and about #6 WR with #2 and #3 off the field. One long pass early was at least partially on the WR as he stopped and started backpeddling on a pass which may have been ultimately overthrown but he gave himself no chance to catch it. Peewee move. They need to get the outside opposite Catrine fixed.

Play calling gave the team enough chances to make plays early but they weren't made. The long pass I mentioned was a TD missed and there was a drop early which may have cost them in terms of positioning. The repeated screen calls were maddening. There were 6 or 7 of them and the first one worked. The rest can only be described as disasters. The QB can't make the pass consistently in the first place and the protection broke down on some of them as well. This was an issue last year as well. There have been probably 10 called in the last two weeks and 1 has worked. Last week 2 of the 3 would have scored and the other gained big if the pass was completed. Table the play until it can be run correctly. The other playcalling complaint I have was there is too much throw it up and hope he catches it going on. I don't know if that's the intention or not but it's happening and is not a good long term plan. Against inept defenses such as Davidson there will be some success. Against good or even adequate defenses it's not going to work.

One other playcalling note. We ran the wildcat late in the game to some success. While not a "trick" play, it is off the playbook radar for the most part with what's on tape for this offense. If your going to run "trick" plays, my feeling is to use them early when it matters as putting them on tape in a near meaningless situation accomplishes pretty much nothing. It can be debated whether it should have been used at all but if Valpo was going to use it, run it on the first drive when it mattered.

usc4valpo

I gotta say that game was painful to watch. The good news was that the weather was beautiful, I had a great Texas Dip and beer at Jethro's before the game, and my wife and kids were outstanding sports staying for all 4 quarters.

vumsb

VU2624, I could not agree with you more, especially personnel and decision to run it up the middle, playing into the strengths of Drake's D. Running outside and short screen passes were the way to go although, as you mentioned, only one screen pass worked Saturday. And the shuttling in and out of RB's on every play does not allow any kind of rhythm to be established. Twice we saw Bastin and Hutson have success on a great run or pass completion and run, only to be pulled out the next play.  Why kill the momentum? Saw too many missed blocks and mistakes made. The running backs were getting crushed in the backfield. Clarke was sacked how many times? Bastin took a helmet to helmet hit in the backfield before the handoff was even completed that you could hear in the stands.

QB needs to see the field more. He zeroes in on only one option -- needs to be able to make quick decisions to see better options.

I'm worried about the number of injuries this team is sustaining. Personnel and numbers are a huge concern. It seems that many of the younger players are struggling with learning the offense and making obvious mistakes that can prove even more costly for the remainder of the season.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 11, 2015, 02:36:10 PM
I gotta say that game was painful to watch. The good news was that the weather was beautiful, I had a great Texas Dip and beer at Jethro's before the game, and my wife and kids were outstanding sports staying for all 4 quarters.

I'm not sure I could have stayed for all four quarters. Must have been tough.