• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8 Drake @ Valpo 1pm

Started by JD24, October 21, 2018, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 27, 2018, 10:36:34 PMjD24 - ok, you have a point, but it is more than injuries that Valpo is 1 - 7. Everyone needs to be held accountable.
I absolutely agree.

usc4valpo

this season does not yet feel Carlsonesque, but it is getting there.

mila

When does it become Carlsonesque? The injuries at that time were just as many and as severe(towards starters). Those players were playing as freshman also. The administration has opened its pocketbooks for this staff. Facility upgrades. Recruiting money. Staff salaries. One winning season. The Carlson era took a beating on this thread. Deservedly so, he was a poor coach. However, the current staff have been given the benefit of the doubt way more than others. Just my opinion.

valpo64

and I think they deserved the benefit of a doubt...there is absolutely no comparison between the 2 coaches as Carlson was in way over his head

valpofb16

Those who are saying this is Carlson esque weren't there for Carlson esque.

These coaches actually have scheme . Competitive weight and locker rooms. Attrition was absolutely absurd, this is completely different.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the soft approach. I have friends on the team and know the staff personally. It's been a rough year. Sure 1-7 is unacceptable but if you go through Valpo's records throughout the years its not like this program has ever set world on fire (even the winning seasons contained several NAIA schools and D3 programs on schedule, winning-est season is 8-9 wins) Let's not throw around bricks in a glass house, especially on a message board.

To reiterate lets look at top stats leaders from last season 2017

Passing:
Seewald (Played in 4, injured while playing)
Duncan

Rushing:
Morgan (Graduation)
Cartales (Injury prone season)
Boxrucker (injury prone season)

Receiving:
Navarro (Transfer)
Catrine (Graduate)
Rene (Coming off hip surgery)
Norberg
Fox
Sutter

Defense:
Snouffer
Turner (Injured, redshirting and confirmed RETURNING for 5th)
Nunes (Graduated)
Diaz-Martinez (Injured)
Leandre (Injured)
Petrie
Slone (Graduated)
Booker
Skarecky
Scargle (Transferred)

Let's also review the losses from this season:
@Duquesne: 5-3 (two losses to FBS)
@Youngstown St: 3-5 (full scholly)
Truman St: 6-3 (undefeated since game 3)
Davidson: 5-4
@Dayton: 4-5 (Drake, San Diego, Duquesne, and Southeastern Missouri account for 4/5 losses)
Butler: 3-5 we won
@Morehead State: 3-5
Drake: 5-2

so of those games we have played one sub .500 team at home and won. relative to last year without injuries we played four sub .500 teams at home and won all four (Stetson, Marist, Morehead St, Dayton).

So in a vacuum I realize that 1-7 is unacceptable but in terms of Carlson esque lets review how many games Cecchini has been competitive in vs Carlson, sake of argument lets call two touchdowns competitive

Carlson:
2010: 1
2011: 3
2012: 4
2013: 6
Average: 3.5/11= 31.8%

Cecchini:
2014: 8
2015: 3
2016: 7
2017: 8
2018: 5 (3 games remain)
Average:6.2/10.4=59.6%

Not a numbers guy, but I'm not exactly ready to have a meltdown after reviewing everything

vu72

Hugely disappointing season but understood, given all the injuries.  The bottom line, for me, is Dave has beaten Butler two in a row and 3 out of five.  During Carlson's four years we lost to Butler by a combined (are you ready for this) 218-43.  Nough said.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Ok, I have misspoke. I hate being in the bottom 10 though.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 29, 2018, 12:09:14 PM
Ok, I have misspoke. I hate being in the bottom 10 though.

Dave doesn't quote Joel (Claude) Osteen and his wife has a star on the women's tennis team. Two big pluses in my book.  ;)

talksalot

Did anyone notice that the 4 captains who went for the coin flip on Saturday... 3 were in street clothes?   Snouffer was the only one in shoulder pads...

VULB#62

Quote from: talksalot on October 29, 2018, 01:11:21 PM
Did anyone notice that the 4 captains who went for the coin flip on Saturday... 3 were in street clothes?   Snouffer was the only one in shoulder pads...

A picture of that is worth a thousand words.

JD24

I think looking at the 2014 season is most interesting...this staff's first year and using nearly completely players brought in by the previous staff. That team won 4 games running a new scheme to them. I'm not sure how much of the playbook was used on offense but I don't think it was a lot of it. The offense had at their disposal a QB who had his limitations yet made the most of his abilities. Three pretty good RBs. A bunch of WRs ranging from as good as Valpo's seen in recent years to guys capable of contributing throughout the season. The OL provided a pretty good running attack. About the only area really lacking was at TE where the guys used were mostly of the blocking variety and not receiving.

The defense unfortunately had a habit of struggling at the end of games although there was certainly talent on the DL and at LBer.

The team was ahead of Drake in the 4th quarter and I think Ben was injured in that game and didn't complete it, let Morehead State come down the field after being up by 2 scores with about 5 mins left and, in probably the worst loss the program has suffered in some time because of who the opponent was, let San Diego complete a Hail Mary vs. a defense which absolutely never should have occurred. That team should have won 6 games and had a shot at another.

I mention this because while the game day coaching has improved to a degree (this over the Carlson years), I'm not sure how much better the recruiting paired with retention has been. In addition, the defensive issues remain and need to be addressed for the program to take the next step.

covufan

Quote from: mila on October 29, 2018, 09:42:30 AM
When does it become Carlsonesque? The injuries at that time were just as many and as severe(towards starters). Those players were playing as freshman also. The administration has opened its pocketbooks for this staff. Facility upgrades. Recruiting money. Staff salaries. One winning season. The Carlson era took a beating on this thread. Deservedly so, he was a poor coach. However, the current staff have been given the benefit of the doubt way more than others. Just my opinion.
I think it gets Carlsonesque when we've lost 4-5 PFL games in a row by at least 35 points and given up at least one scoring play of 50 yards or greater in each game.

Disappointing season - no doubt. Carlsonesque - not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD24

Quote from: covufan on October 30, 2018, 04:54:07 PMDisappointing season - no doubt. Carlsonesque - not even close.
This sums it up and I'm not sure why Carlson has to be brought up everytime things go sour or criticism is lodged vs. the current staff. I agree that anyone comparing the two eras probably wasn't around or paying attention during the Carlson years and definitely isn't paying attention currently.

With that said, there are some legit beefs to be had with the current staff. In my view "It could always be worse" is not a legit defense against said beefs.