• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football recruiting 2012

Started by covufan, February 03, 2012, 11:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

I'm guessing the makers of these videos all read the same book, and they all say to put music with it. Very ridiculous to put music with highlights for college recruiting.

jetz

Not sure if there's any new guidance, but two years ago when my son was being recruited, the services that made these videos told us specifically that no one wants music on these.  Fine for your personal use, but we were told never to send one to a coach with music.  Coaches told us if they ever get one with music, they just mute it anyway.  Also, we were told to keep in under five minutes.  This kid's is about eight.  Again, maybe things have changed, but that music is lousy.   :twocents:
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

I'm glad that colleges only came out to see me pitch at games, as a video of my pitch sequences would have been extremely boring :).  Though, I know that they do these types of videos for pitchers nowadays, sans the music.  When did it become prevalent to do these videos?  I graduated HS in 1999, and it was extremely rare for these things to be out there. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

valporun

valpotx, I'm guessing the video has become more important with the computer technology to be able to self-edit to show only the good moments of games, or focus on certain aspects, so I'm guessing mid-2000s. For pitchers, I'm thinking coaches want to see the consistency of arm slot, if the pitcher only uses upper body, or if he's using his legs at all. Maybe watching for reaction/body language between pitches?

CaliSwag

After this watching this highlight film. Do you think Ali is a good athlete. ??

valpotx

Yes, the pitching videos are very dull, in looking at the things you mention.  Rarely do they show the action between pitches though, it is just pitch-after-pitch-after pitch.  I watched many in my 2 years as a Volunteer coach at a solid program here in area, while doing my MBA and working my normal job.  I don't miss those long hours, even though college baseball coaching was fun as a side gig lol  :).

Cali, I imagine that you are either Ali or a family member.  From the video, it looks like he/you should be able to contribute at the level of competition we face.  The big determinant will be how quickly you/he can adapt to the speed of the game.  Everyone gets fast at this level, even the FCS non-scholarship division.  Hard work will pay off!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: CaliSwag on March 21, 2012, 11:19:56 PM
After this watching this highlight film. Do you think Ali is a good athlete. ??
It certainly looks like he has some athletic ability, keep working hard because as valpotx stated, the jump is going to be much higher than you think. 

Now I will tell you the problem I have with your question, highlight videos better make it look like the player has ability or they were just a waste of time and almost every player has some highlights in their career.  Can they be a conversation starter?? Yes, but complete games are better because it is much more telling to see how a player reacts to all situations not just the highlight plays.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

willy

Has anyone seen any of the spring practices to check out what the new team looks like?  With having so many young players playing significant minutes last year these spring practices should really help.  Sad to see Coach McKnight is no longer with us.  Where did he go?

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on September 25, 2012, 11:43:13 AM
The recruitng continues.  Here is a kid who we have "offered" whatever that means.  Obviously a very bright kid:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20120924/ARTICLES/120929847?Title=University-lineman-Kyle-Jones-gets-offer-from-Valparaiso

Per usual with reports like this...pretty vague. "Interested" can mean as little as sending a letter. I'd be interested to know what Georgia Southern really thinks of the kid.

Gaining 90 pounds in 2 years...that's one heck of a weight program.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VULB#62

Others showing interest:

Wofford #6 SNet/#5 Coaches Poll -- Scholarship program
Georgia Southern #10 SNet/#9 Coaches -- Scholarship program
Lehigh #15 SNet/#11 Coaches --  Soon to be a scholarship program (recruiting class of '13 -- Patriot League)
Furman -- unranked -- Scholarship program

275 lbs on a 6-0 frame = block of granite.