• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Davidson @ Valpo

Started by VULB#62, November 03, 2012, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Davidson IMO is a toss-up next Saturday despite being blown out by Morehead today.  They also beat Campbell (28-21) and were fairly competitive with Butler last week (20-31) and Jacksonville the week before (24-34) the Campbell win.

Valpo can win IF... they (1) stop Davidson's first drive and establish a winning tone (2) don't fumble away a ball for a TD on their first drive, (3) don't commit a slew of stupid penalties, (4) run the ball effectively (encore, Mr. Hudson!) (5) play smart (don't try to block a punt in Q4 when you're up 2 scores and wind up giving them the ball back). The coaches control 4 out of the 5 through detailed preparation, sound game time coaching and good play selection.  But my fear is that this will be a repeat of 2011, because the momentum of the win will not be properly optimized, and Davidson will capitalize on Valpo mistakes.

Valpo has been competitive in only two PFL games this season -- Drake (L) and Campbell (W).  In both they established the run.

historyman

I think being successful at both the run & pass was the key. Hoffman was 21 of 23 in pass completion for 200 yards and Hutson (where did he come from?) was 248 rushing yards. Now if we go up against a tougher defense in Davidson can the football Crusaders sustain that momentum?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Maybe the O-Line is beginning to work as a unit, which gave Hoffman the time for 21 of 23, and Hutson the great yardage he came away with in this game.  I believe Hutson has started the last 4 games, with about 470 yards in those games.  Did I read the box score for Cambell right - are we now running a 3-5 defense?

crusadermoe

Hats off to the players and coaches on a winless team for digging out from an early 0-14 start in the first quarter.   That takes guts.

It probably doesn't and shouldn't change the big picture.    But they really had nothing but pride to motivate them.

HC

All winning streaks start somewhere. Valpo shocks Davidson next Saturday with a 27-26 victory.

covufan

If Hoffman and Hutson are the real deal, and hold onto the ball, and our new 3-5 defense continues to play well...

Valpo 34
Davidson  20

historyman

I'm trying to be realistic.  I don't think Valpo football is quite there yet. I do think Coach Carlson gets one more year with a chance to earn more years.

Davidson  45
Valpo      44

in OT
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

Valpo 24
John Davidson 21
(ring the bell baby!)

Carlson then gets tenure.

VULB#62

FYI

DAVIDSON       OPPONENTS
Rushing/game           52                   232
Passing/game          285                   196
TOTALS                  337                   428

Davidson can't stop the run and they love to pass.  Their QB set the school career record for passing in a losing cause against Morehead this past Saturday. Their run game is an anemic 52 yds/game.  So.........

The D has to focus on pressuring the QB, forcing pics or incompletions and ....
Between Hudson/Somerville (and maybe Ali El?) running the ball and eating up the clock and Hoffman throwing no risk passes, this could be another win.

78crusader

valpotx

Coming off a good performance against a similarly poor team, I see us pulling this one out at home.  As long as we prevent the long bomb:

Valpo 34 (missed extra point)
Davidson 24
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on November 05, 2012, 03:19:16 AM
Coming off a good performance against a similarly poor team, I see us pulling this one out at home.  As long as we prevent the long bomb:

Valpo 34 (missed extra point)
Davidson 24
Missed how?  Did the kicker forget to go onto the field?  A five yard penalty, and VU still can't find the kicker, goes for two, and misses the extra point?

Hmm, this could be the new prediction method...

valpotx

It seems like something always happens, so however we don't get the try, we will miss one  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on November 05, 2012, 11:04:06 AM

Missed how?  Did the kicker forget to go onto the field?  A five yard penalty, and VU still can't find the kicker, goes for two, and misses the extra point?

Kicker was on the field.  Shanked it wide left I believe.

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 05, 2012, 12:13:34 PM
Quote from: covufan on November 05, 2012, 11:04:06 AM

Kicker was on the field.  Shanked it wide left I believe.

Yea, the kicking issues have been well...interesting. It's my understanding they couldn't find the kicker during one series, couldn't find the holder on another, and just shanked an extra point. Missing the extra point, while not good is an excusable physical mistake. Not knowing you need to be on field for a field goal...unacceptable. How is that even possible?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VULB#62

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 05, 2012, 12:54:10 PM
Yea, the kicking issues have been well...interesting. It's my understanding they couldn't find the kicker during one series, couldn't find the holder on another, and just shanked an extra point. Missing the extra point, while not good is an excusable physical mistake. Not knowing you need to be on field for a field goal...unacceptable. How is that even possible?

I was watching the stream (although I missed the first part of the 3rd quarter) and didn't notice any lost kicker issues on the sideline.  I don't recall the announcers making a to-do about it either.

vuweathernerd

valpo 56
davidson 14

(is that big enough to get the guys to come through once again? joking about it worked last week - let's see what really happens.)

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 05, 2012, 02:00:16 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on November 05, 2012, 12:54:10 PM

I was watching the stream (although I missed the first part of the 3rd quarter) and didn't notice any lost kicker issues on the sideline.  I don't recall the announcers making a to-do about it either.

I am referring to earlier games, not specifically this one.  ;D
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VULB#62

Oh, OK.  BTW the kicker has a leg.  He kicked the ball out of the end zone on a KO AGAINST the wind.  the announcers were flabbergasted.  got to get that kid (1) good coaching and (2) an iPad with a reminder application to be ready to kick when the team needs him.

vu72

Interesting story on the Valpo athletic site about the game Saturday as well as it being Senior Day.  What I found interesting is that in spite of all the problems and turnover that there still are 16 seniors.  That's a pretty good size class isn't it?  sure, they had more in the freshman class but kids figure out that they better focus on studying to make it through Valpo, or transfer or whatever.

The other part of the story is that the game will be on The Horizon League Network, a rare thing to be able to watch a Valpo home football game live.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2012-13/12147/valpo-returns-home-for-senior-day-matchup-with-davidson/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

setshot

Surprise,surprise,surprise. Someone just informed me that Nate Silver has predicted a Valpo win, or was it Karl Rove? Neverless,I'll pick Davidson by 14. How about Patraeus? Screwing around when Bengahzi lit up. Bye,bye. :crazy:

valporun

You really think Karl Rove, if we're ahead by 14 with 5 minutes remaining, will like Valpo killing the clock when there is still time to score one more time before the game is actually over? I mean I'd be content, especially if it has been a tough game, and we could get that kind of lead finished off with confidence in both the offense and the defense.

VULB#62

Here's hoping that the FB team can continue the weekend home streak -- First IU, then GSU and next Davidson.  Good luck Crusaders!

KL31NY

7-0 Davidson middle 1st. Direct snap "fake punt" play on 4th and short in their own territory to keep the drive alive early. Tried a 31 yard field goal, but the snap was bobbled, the holder picked it up just before defense could get him, went around left and scored the TD. Inauspicious start for Valpo to say the least.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vuweathernerd

oren tweeting: "Valparaiso kicking off from Davidson 35 after two personal foul penalties on VU touchdown. Unreal. #ValpoGameDay" can somebody who's been following the game explain this?