• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Peptalk before the Davidson Game

Started by usc4valpo, November 05, 2012, 08:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Well, I guess Howard Beale came through to get our beloved Crusaders to a win.  So this week, as a special guest, Bill Murray will give the weekly pep talk, based on his role from the movie "Stripes"

John Winger: Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The hell's the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end?
[raises his hand]

John Winger: *sarcastically* Nobody cried when Old Yeller got shot? I'm sure.
[hands are reluctantly raised]

John Winger: I cried my eyes out. So we're all dogfaces, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to enlist in the Army. We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're soldiers. But we're American soldiers! We've been kicking ass for 200 years! We're 10 and 1! Now we don't have to worry about whether or not we practiced. We don't have to worry about whether Captain Stillman wants to have us hung. All we have to do is to be the great American fighting soldier that is inside each one of us. Now do what I do, and say what I say. And make me proud.

crusadermoe

At this rate, Joel Osteen won't even make the Top 25 of quotables.      Keep 'em coming!

I'll start picking my brain for rallying cries from movies too.   

LaPorteAveApostle

Then I have to reprise my role ;)

John Winger: Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The hell's the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Bulldogs. We're not Camels. We're Crusaders, with a capital 'C', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the Middle East. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "The Shot?" Who cried when Bryce hugged his dad at the end?
[raises his hand]

John Winger: *sarcastically* Nobody cried when Bryce hit The Shot? I'm sure.
[hands are reluctantly raised]

John Winger: I cried my eyes out. So we're all dogfaces, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to sign with VU football. We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're football players. But we're VU football players! We've been taking asskickings since Em Bauer retired! We're 1 and 10! Now we don't have to worry about whether or not we practiced. We don't have to worry about whether Mark LaBarbera wants to have us hung. All we have to do is to be the great American fighting Crusader that is inside each one of us. Now do what I do, and say what I say. And make me proud.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

chef

historyman

We don't have to worry about whether Mark LaBarbera wants to have us hung.
We don't have to worry about whether setshot and the east coast academic snobs want to drop football.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Good stuff!

Lot of good lines in that movie.  Who hasn't used the "Lighten up, Francis" line?  I always liked the 'big toe' reference for Sgt. Hulka.

usc4valpo

I liked the part when they compared going in and out to communist Czechoslovakia as a trip to Wisconsin.

That's kind of how I felt on a trip to Rensaleer...

usc4valpo

Another speech derived from the grat warrior Bill the Buthcher, from "Gangs of New York"

"At my challenge, by the ancient rules of pigskin, we are met at this chosen pro-turf field, to settle for a 2 and 8 record and all who holds sway over Brown Field: us Crusaders, born rightwise to this insect infested synthtic turf, or the foreign Carolina Wildcats defiling it."