• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A New Season of Crusader Women's Basketball

Started by KL31NY, November 05, 2012, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many wins in for VUWBB in 2012-13, Tracey Dorow's first season?

0-9: Still in the doldrums
0 (0%)
10-14: Some improvement from recent years
13 (81.3%)
15-19: A big step in the right direction
3 (18.8%)
20+: Shocking the world... or the HL anyway
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: December 05, 2012, 02:42:36 PM

valpotx

It may be a tough one to start with, but I see at least a middle of the pack finish for this squad
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Saturday should tell the coaching staff where they stand, and what they need to work on most. It's probably best we start with YS.

valpotx

What a great comeback for the women, winning 67-59 over what seemed to be a solid YSU team.  I believe that we were down by 15 at one point in the first half.  Tabitha with another monster game of 26 and 17
"Don't mess with Texas"

SadersofthelostArc

Ready to jump on the bandwagon yet, jack and tx?  I see valporun and KLNY13 are conspiculously absent.

valpotx

Uh, I haven't said negative things about our women's team.  I said just a few posts up that I see AT LEAST a middle of the pack finish for us, which is a HUGE improvement over last year
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Apparently my "absence" has attracted attention. Sorry for having other pertinent matters on my schedule.

Can't comment too much on the game since I was unable to watch it today. Based on the numbers though, obviously Tab was doing it big again today. Our inside game is pretty good when she and Gina are playing well.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

SadersofthelostArc

And.......

(HINT: acknowledge that Coach Dorow is getting the job done and we can all move on!!!!!!)

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: valpotx on January 12, 2013, 04:39:00 PM
Uh, I haven't said negative things about our women's team.  I said just a few posts up that I see AT LEAST a middle of the pack finish for us, which is a HUGE improvement over last year

Sorry about that...I didn't realize you'd already jumped on the bandwagon yesterday.  My apologies, Tom.

jack

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on January 12, 2013, 04:13:26 PM
Ready to jump on the bandwagon yet, jack and tx?  I see valporun and KLNY13 are conspiculously absent.

There you go again Sader. Never was off the bandwagon. I suspect I've forgotten more about this game then you'll know. You seem to be more fixated on Dorrow then the game itself. Having said that, it was a great effort, and a huge win for the ladies to start the conference. Another monster game from Geradot. Her rebounding stats were definitely enhanced by Lange's stellar job of blocking out. probably one of Lange's best outputs this season. She's doing the dirty work they don't have stats for. I think there was another key to tonight's game, that also won't show up on the stat sheets. I felt Carr's minutes (25+ probably) were key. She doesn't put up the big stats, but I feel the O flows better with her out there, and it takes some of the preasure off of Richards to slide into an offense. I hope this is a confidence boost for her. She made good decisions with the ball tonight. We will need her as the season progresses.
I felt the coaching staff made a critical decision to stay with the zone, and not drop off into the man to man. I don't think YS was ready for that. Nice springboard game into the conference.
Congrats to Geradot, for a huge game, the coaches for adjusting according, and the team as a whole. They played better team ball tonight then I've seen in a while. They also played with a lot of energy. Keep it rolling ladies.

SadersofthelostArc

jack, can we please have a truce?  I admit I was just fired up that people seemed to be a little too quick to judge Coach.

I agree that you and I are the biggest LSers' fans around.  Please accept my most humble apologies and let's team up to support this team against all of the haters.

(All joking aside, let's drop the "forgotten more than you'll know line..."  That's just silly.)

jack

Probably been a fan longer then you knew where Valpo was, and spent many years coaching the game. But I digress. I've always contended we had the talent as long as it's utilized properly. I felt tonight the coaches did well to recognize who was in the flow. I don't think you can under estimate the importance of this win. We just beat a team that was slatted to do well in conference, and if we can keep things rolling, this could be a factor later on. We can't get complacent when we face Loyola though. We need to keep the hammer down and play as hard as we did tonight. Loyola will be a great opportunity to get a lot of players some minutes. Got to prepare for down the road.

SadersofthelostArc

jack

I've got no issues with you Sader. This team needs all the cheerleaders it can get. You just need to be prepared to accept some scrutiny if you want to label anyone who follows the game, and comments on what they see as Sader Haters. I love these ladies, and think if the coaches are opened to adjusting as needed, we could have some success this season. It's all good! ;)

valporun

Saders, I, like KL, wasn't home to watch the game, so I have no comments about the game until I have a chance to see it on archive.

valpotx

I was never off the bandwagon regarding our women's team.  I have always been a big proponent of that program, attending every home game while I was in school, while having many friends on the team's of years past.  On the other hand, I was not a fan of Freeman's, but never gave up hope on our team.  Football nowadays, that is another story
"Don't mess with Texas"

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: jack on January 12, 2013, 09:34:18 PM
I've got no issues with you Sader. This team needs all the cheerleaders it can get. You just need to be prepared to accept some scrutiny if you want to label anyone who follows the game, and comments on what they see as Sader Haters. I love these ladies, and think if the coaches are opened to adjusting as needed, we could have some success this season. It's all good! ;)

Thanks for the kind words, jack.  I loved these ladies and their coach and only want the best for them.  We both bring a ton of passion and knowledge to the conversation, glad we are back on the same page!!!

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: valporun on January 12, 2013, 09:46:51 PM
Saders, I, like KL, wasn't home to watch the game, so I have no comments about the game until I have a chance to see it on archive.

Watched the game yet?  Can't wait to see your thoughts/criticisms!

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: valpotx on January 13, 2013, 02:18:33 AM
I was never off the bandwagon regarding our women's team.  I have always been a big proponent of that program, attending every home game while I was in school, while having many friends on the team's of years past.  On the other hand, I was not a fan of Freeman's, but never gave up hope on our team.  Football nowadays, that is another story

Don't let VULB hear that!! LOL

But I hear ya.  I wish you could have known Keith personally, but I could see how he rubbed people the wrong way.  The Kirby thing didn't help, of course.

Glad we are on the same page and are back to being good friends.

LaPorteAveApostle

Thought people might like to read about a female Crusader going to the NCAAs...of course, no one currently on the team.

betsy adams, come on down:
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/jan/09/womens-basketball-transfer-betsy-adams-adjusting/

and thanks for being the ringleader in setting the NCAA record for most 3-pointers by a team:
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/jan/13/womens-basketball-eagles-do-ncaa-record-about-3/

TWENTY-FIVE POINTS PEOPLE.   IN FOURTEEN EFFING MINUTES.  IF SHE PLAYED THE WHOLE GAME THAT WOULD BE SEVENTY-ONE POINTS IN FORTY.

And if she were a McCallum SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT IN TO KEEP HITTING 'EM.

Wish you were still hitting 'em here.

EDIT:  BTW, if you think "only fourteen minutes!  well!"  just know that FGCU is pretty unlike anyone you've ever seen, and 11 average double-digit minutes.  So there.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

FGCU usually leads the country in 3-pointers made, 3-pointers attempted, percentage of total shots that are 3-pointers...

They'll own all the records some day if they don't already. It's just like how Grinnell (IA) College will consistently get guys like Jack Taylor 100+ points in a game
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

valporun

Quote from: KL31NY on January 14, 2013, 09:13:02 AM
FGCU usually leads the country in 3-pointers made, 3-pointers attempted, percentage of total shots that are 3-pointers...

They'll own all the records some day if they don't already. It's just like how Grinnell (IA) College will consistently get guys like Jack Taylor 100+ points in a game

I'm happy for Betsy. She definitely wanted to avoid any talk about Valpo basketball that is happening now. Still miss her in this lineup, with her fearless ability to shoot.

Also, about Jack Taylor from Grinnell, he'll be away from basketball shooting for a little while, he broke his wrist this weekend, and is out the rest of the season, but no fear, he has time to comeback, he's only a sophomore.

valpotx

We could have used Betsy's outside shot this year.  We don't shoot a ton of 3s, which may just be the way Dorow likes it.  Very different than the 3 pointer happy teams of yesteryear.  I believe we are around 15/game this year, whereas we probably average 20+/game each season before this one
"Don't mess with Texas"

SadersofthelostArc

My understanding is that Coach Dorow is a fan of the three-ball, but doesn't feel we have the shooters to consistently make shots. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, we had one

But she's down here by me now.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

For those of you that picked the "10-14 wins" options, be aware that Valpo has lost five straight attempts to claim "Win #10." All that remains is Detroit and the Tournament.

We're nearly locked into the 8/9 first round game. Should we win against Detroit (a good upset for this team), we have a slim shot at the #7 seed and a bye through that opening round. Should we lose against Detroit, we need Milwaukee to lose to UIC and Green Bay to host the Panthers in the tournament's first game next Monday (we have the tiebreaker past head-to-head).