• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ok, what now?

Started by usc4valpo, November 11, 2012, 08:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 24, 2012, 08:05:24 PM
Can it be as simple as Carlson is doing a horrible job and the university AD and administration truly could care less?  I know, beating the deadhorse again.

Again?  You've beat that dead horse so bad there's nothing left of him.  :-*

LaPorteAveApostle

Love the slogan (used to have a tie-dyed beer t-shirt with it on it.  ah, college):

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Maybe Coach Carlson needs to tweet less, and revise his playbook (system) more?

usc4valpo

Quote from: valporun on November 24, 2012, 09:02:35 PMMaybe Coach Carlson needs to tweet less, and revise his playbook (system) more?
Beautiful!!!!!!!

He seems to have no original words of inspiration so thinking he can reinvent his playbook or modify his system is probably a stretch.  The guy is not who he says he is or who anyone thought he was three years ago.  The number of believers is dwindling.

crusadermoe

Have we come full circle now to the halftime speeches USC?

usc4valpo

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 25, 2012, 08:36:00 PMHave we come full circle now to the halftime speeches USC?
I cannot find any wisdom from wonderkind Lane Kiffin to allow me to find an inspirational speech.  His goalline strategy in the fourth quarter against ND last night was mind bogglingly sad.  Maybe if Lane gets fired this week at USC Heritage Hall and thanks everyone including his trophy wife, we can use his words to assist Carlson on his optimisitically anticipated resignation speech at the Union this week.

VULB#62

Here's a kind of season wrap-up by John Mutka.  The focus is on punter Greg Wood, who has pro scouts looking at him, but it also goes into the outlook for the future.  Here's one quote from the article:

"So why 1-and-10? The Crusaders were outscored 334-84 in the first half. Playing from behind is not recommended for a coach seeking a long shelf life, but athletic director Mark LaBarbera believes the Crusaders are headed in the right direction against a schedule which no longer welcomes Division III pushovers."    :-X

There's a lot of mention at how young the Crusaders were.   :snore:

Here's the link to the full article:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/16618887-556/mutka-vu-punter-greg-wood-getting-pro-attention.html

crusadermoe

Hey USC:

Speaking of trophy wives,.....did you ever see the "Legend of Ricky Bobby" starring Will Ferrell as race car driver?       
It was actually a pretty lame movie except for one memorable scene.   

Maybe Carlso could give it a whirl next year as a pre-gameer?

Went something like, "We thank you good Lord baby Jesus for my kids (Jim Bob and xxx?).     Also for my smokin' hot wife,.....And for the food we are about to eat.... the always delicious KFC and Taco Bell, ......and for a victory at the race this week......etc......" 

It is probably on youtube somewhere.    Can't take time to look for it right now or play around.

valpo04

usc4valpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 26, 2012, 09:31:00 AMHere's a kind of season wrap-up by John Mutka. The focus is on punter Greg Wood, who has pro scouts looking at him, but it also goes into the outlook for the future. Here's one quote from the article: "So why 1-and-10? The Crusaders were outscored 334-84 in the first half. Playing from behind is not recommended for a coach seeking a long shelf life, but athletic director Mark LaBarbera believes the Crusaders are headed in the right direction against a schedule which no longer welcomes Division III pushovers." :-X There's a lot of mention at how young the Crusaders were. :snore: Here's the link to the full article: http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/16618887-556/mutka-vu-punter-greg-wood-getting-pro-attention.html
In the words of Mike Ditka - Mark LaBarbera, who are you crapping?  We are 2-31 and headed in the right direction - C'mon man.   Talk about buffing a turd!  I guess the happy drug prescription works after all.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 26, 2012, 09:31:00 AMbut athletic director Mark LaBarbera believes the Crusaders are headed in the right direction

Well, that makes one of us who thinks we are headed in the right direction.

covufan

Anything less than 4 wins, and close games (less than 8 points) in 3 others, will show which direction this program is headed.  Carlson has a tough assignment next year. 

bbtds

The financial assessment must have been completed and the administration has decided they must go with Carlson. Now ml must sell the "situation" that Valpo has put themselves in. I actually feel somewhat sorry for Mark. Although he put himself in the situation by trying to hire the best qualified it certainly did go south. He now has to put up some kind of positive light on it so as many football playing students will stay as possible so they have the best chance to move forward if/when a new football coach is hired in 1 or 2 years.

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on November 26, 2012, 11:57:16 AMHe now has to put up some kind of positive light on it so as many football playing students will stay as possible so they have the best chance to move forward if/when a new football coach is hired in 1 or 2 years.

Player retention is a big key this off-season.  I did some checking here is what we have so far in the Carlson regime:

Recruiting class #1 36 players, 13 remain as of year end 2012 .
Recruiting class #2 56 players, 31 remain as of year end 2012 .
Recruiting class #3 37 players, 32 remain as of year end 2012  .

usc4valpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 26, 2012, 12:21:45 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 26, 2012, 11:57:16 AMHe now has to put up some kind of positive light on it so as many football playing students will stay as possible so they have the best chance to move forward if/when a new football coach is hired in 1 or 2 years.
Player retention is a big key this off-season. I did some checking here is what we have so far in the Carlson regime: Recruiting class #1 36 players as of year end 2012 13 remain. Recruiting class #1 56 players as of year end 2012 31 remain. Recruiting class #1 37 players as of year end 2012 32 remain.
how can you have 3 recrutingyears in 2012?

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 26, 2012, 01:49:50 PMhow can you have 3 recrutingyears in 2012?

You can't...I have redone the post to hopefully make more sense.....

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 26, 2012, 12:21:45 PM

Player retention is a big key this off-season.  I did some checking here is what we have so far in the Carlson regime:

Recruiting class #1 36 players as of year end 2012 13 remain.
Recruiting class #1 56 players as of year end 2012 31 remain.
Recruiting class #1 37 players as of year end 2012 32 remain.

Retention is important, but I believe that most VU football coaches over the last 30 years have recruited large freshman classes, only to have half or less come back for their sophomore year.  There are many reasons for this that are not related to the coaching staff.  I don't have numbers, but I'm sure it is rare that a VU football recruit leaves for greener pastures at the FCS level. 

usc4valpo

I think there is some serious explaining to do regarding Labarbera's comment.  Why can he truly justify that this program is improving and going in the right direction?  Because we do not face Div. 3 opponents?  Most Div. 3 teams would beat Valpo.  Labarbera's starting is major sugar coating and a copout, reminding me of Kopi Annan in the United Nations years ago.

FloridaFootball

Lets see how many players actually return for the spring semester. If they are going to leave, now is the time to find a new home. As far as the coach is concerned, if he wasn't 86'd by now, he will be the coach again next year.

LaPorteAveApostle

That's great!  Let's put everything in a positive light! (Although, note no direct quote from MLB that we are "headed in the right direction", in fact, no direct quotes from him period!  The only quotes are from Carlson--maybe he took some time from tweeting inanities to talk to Mutka and tell him what he thought MLB thought!)  Nevertheless--Stay Positive! Think:

Punting prospects will FLOCK to the Carlson offense! 

Also kickoff return prospects will line up for his defense!

Bright sides galore!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 26, 2012, 05:58:04 PM
I think there is some serious explaining to do regarding Labarbera's comment.  Why can he truly justify that this program is improving and going in the right direction?  Because we do not face Div. 3 opponents?  Most Div. 3 teams would beat Valpo.  Labarbera's starting is major sugar coating and a copout, reminding me of Kopi Annan in the United Nations years ago.
I know that you are relatively new here on the forum so I will give you a pass on your comments and also a little advice.  Mark Labarbera has tons of credit built up with most of the people on this forum and with the alumni in general.  He has taken this athletic program to new heights in a relatively short period of time and for the most part done an excellent job hiring new coaches and retaining successful coaches that many of us thought were going to be quickly off to greener pastures.  So before you throw any more dirt please remember that in my book, and many others, ML is a man of integrity, and I will give him my support even though I don't like or understand the situation. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

HC

I would bet some leave for academic reasons. I have heard that some of these football players aren't the most, err academically motivated.

crusadermoe

The retention rates really ARE striking.    Just because it is similar to past football attrition rates does not help.

Better to benchmark against the good PFL teams and ask:   Do they retain clearly higher percent of players?   
                                       If so, why is that?.......do the players fit better into the wider university than Valpo's recruits?

My hunch (beating the dead horse, perhaps?) is that Valpo's recruiting strategy is very random and does not build any pipelines into reliable high schools that can match the right kids to your school.    Any thoughts?   Talk amongst yourselves. 

usc4valpo

Quote from: FWalum on November 26, 2012, 07:55:11 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 26, 2012, 05:58:04 PMI think there is some serious explaining to do regarding Labarbera's comment. Why can he truly justify that this program is improving and going in the right direction? Because we do not face Div. 3 opponents? Most Div. 3 teams would beat Valpo. Labarbera's starting is major sugar coating and a copout, reminding me of Kopi Annan in the United Nations years ago.
I know that you are relatively new here on the forum so I will give you a pass on your comments and also a little advice. Mark Labarbera has tons of credit built up with most of the people on this forum and with the alumni in general. He has taken this athletic program to new heights in a relatively short period of time and for the most part done an excellent job hiring new coaches and retaining successful coaches that many of us thought were going to be quickly off to greener pastures. So before you throw any more dirt please remember that in my book, and many others, ML is a man of integrity, and I will give him my support even though I don't like or understand the situation.
Ok, well said and I respect your statement.   If he is a man of integrity, then I think it is fair to ask him why he believes this football program is in the right direction.  He may be a decent man, but his statement in the press was rather fluffy.  Perhaps his feeling on football are very secondary to him.  Going status quo after a 2-31 record does not indicate the team is going in the right direction.