• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Issues at Butler?

Started by vu72, November 12, 2012, 09:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

One of their star recruits, freshman Chris Harrison-Docks has quit the team prior to the official start of the season, to retain his four years of eligibility.

This happens all the time, but not at Butler.  CHD was a 5'11" 82 rated by ESPN, point guard from Michigan.  Probably din't want to wait to get playing time.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on November 12, 2012, 09:11:28 PM
One of their star recruits, freshman Chris Harrison-Docks has quit the team prior to the official start of the season, to retain his four years of eligibility.

This happens all the time, but not at Butler.  CHD was a 5'11" 82 rated by ESPN, point guard from Michigan.  Probably din't want to wait to get playing time.

My guess is playing time. Call it a hunch. I know they've played Kellen Dunham and Rotnei Clark together in the backcourt. Stigall is still the starter, but is splitting time with Dunham who played the second most minutes in the first game. As long as Clarke can handle running point...Playing time could be thin at that spot for awhile.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

IndyValpo

Clarke was always expected to start at point. Hopkins leaving pushed Stigall back in at SG, for now.  CHD couldn't beat out soph walk-on Barlow for back-up PG minutes.  Butler has also signed a PG from out east for next year plus Aldridge is another soph PG on the roster.  You are correct, however, PT would be hard to come by.  The Butler board indicated CHD may not have been athletic enough.

Aldridge may be the next to leave.

valpotx

Butler's pure shooter that was going to rock the HL is now 2/9 against Xavier (Clarke), with 11 minutes to go.  Still much of the year to go, but if he is the best shooter in the nation, wouldn't an off-night be 33%?
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Is the Butler vs. Xavier Tip-off marathon game considered an A10 conference game? 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

No, it is still a non-conference game since it was a previously scheduled one.  They do a return visit later this year to Hinkle that counts as conference.

Early in the year, it sure looks like Butler would have been at the top of our league.  Their offensive woes look solved with a whopping 42 points with 3:30 left ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

I would again like to express my incredulosity that Rotnei Clarke is a white dude. 

But then again, so is Aksel Bolin, apparently.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

The box score says Clarke went 1/7 from the 3 and a total of 7 points.  The freshman Kellan was 1/3 from 3 but did lead the team in scoring with 11.  They have major problems in that bobody in the starting lineup seems to be able to take over scoring when needed.  They lose to X by 15 and I'm sure the Butler faithful are reaching for the arsinic.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I just had to pop into their board to revel in their tears  :).  I love how dramatic they get, as they still see themselves at Duke status
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on November 13, 2012, 05:19:19 PM
I just had to pop into their board to revel in their tears  :).  I love how dramatic they get, as they still see themselves at Duke status

It is kinda fun isn't it.  Now some are questioning Stevens' coaching ability!  Their recruiting is the issue. The next thing they are talking about is how good NEXT year's class will be. It does get comical.

LaPorteAveApostle

Maybe we should have a weekly "This Week In Schadenfreude" where it's just excerpts from the Butler board.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

sliman

Although I didn't see every minute of the Butler-Xavier game, I thought Xavier looked like a good team.  Their quickness on defense caused Butler some problems and seemed to force Clarke and Dunham to hurry some shots not unlike what has happened to some of our shooters at times.  It'll be interesting to see how their second meeting plays out.

vu72

Interesting day for Butler who has relied heavily on Indiana kids but now include three new recruits from other states.  Not sure what it means but I think it will lead to the "transfer syndrome" wherein all kids who think they deserve more playing time, transfer rather than endure the bench to meet "the Butler Way".

This thread is very interesting and shows the true state of the Butler faithful, even with a reference to the talent level at Valpo!

http://buhoops.yuku.com/topic/8924/Two-National-Championship-games-have-not-helped-recruiting#.UKRyweRX3Fk

valporun

Sounds like "the sky is falling" at Chicken Little U?

KL31NY

Rotnei Clarke hit a contested, one-handed, 28 foot three-pointer at the buzzer to defeat Marquette today in Maui. Here's a summary of the final half-minute...

Marquette's Jake Thomas caught an offensive rebound, drew contact, and made a bank shot... ALL IN MID-AIR to start a three-point play and get Marquette in the lead.
Butler brought the ball up, called its final timeout to draw up a play in the half-court with 13 seconds left.
Bulldogs run a "Pacer" copycat in the half-court, missed a tying "three" but scoring a put back to get within one.
Marquette was fouled quickly and split free throws, missing the second with eight seconds left.
Rodney Clarke brings the ball up through constant pressure, forced up a three from a few feet behind the arc off the right wing and got it in for the win.

As much as I don't like seeing Butler win, this section of gameplay was one of the most compelling 30 seconds of basketball I've seen in a while. Could be a big win for BU moving forward
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

HC

He was 3/13 from range before that shot, he was due.
Love a good buzzer beater as long as its not against Valpo or IU

HC

T takes is to win one of those games o get that confidence that you can beat those types of teams. Hopefully Valpo will get theirs soon!

atkins

Quote from: HC on November 19, 2012, 09:57:41 PM
T takes is to win one of those games o get that confidence that you can beat those types of teams. Hopefully Valpo will get theirs soon!

The only game that will give us this chance this season is the upcoming contest against SLU.  Unfortunately, despite our wins over the past couple of seasons, we have not beaten anyone of the caliber of Marquette or SLU.  This season, Marquette was predicted by the Big East coaches' poll to finish in the top half of the conference.  We could not defeat Nebraska, which likely would finish dead last in the Big East and probably every other major conference. 

valpo04

Butler destroying UNC right now.

milanmiracle

Whatever issues they've had they're kicking the tar out of #9 North Carolina. At one point in the second half Butler doubled them up. Led by Kellen Dunham to this point.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

I thought being in the A-10 meant no more D2 or D3 opponents? Butler just beat Hanover (?), a D3, by 22.  Nice win for them.

LaPorteAveApostle

Hey, hats off to them--because they're not D1, it doesn't affect their RPI.

FACT:  it is better to play a DIII than Chicago State.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on November 27, 2012, 08:49:35 PM
I thought being in the A-10 meant no more D2 or D3 opponents? Butler just beat Hanover (?), a D3, by 22.  Nice win for them.

What did the police detective say when he investigated a murder at the mansion?

"I could prove the Butler did it but he refuses to Han'over the murder weapon."

In actuality a 22 point win over successful D-III Hanover is fairly decent.

valporun

I'm guessing the contract for the game against Hanover was "han'over"-ed before Butler was forced to the A-10 early? If so, then the A-10 can't really have issue with that for this year, since it would have been too late to kill that contract.

bbtds

I don't know what this actually means but it could be an issue for the new A-10 team.

Nolan Berry, Butler's top 2013 recruit, recently broke both arms during practice. During the 2012 summer season, the De Smet Jesuit Senior from Saint Louis (and grandson of SLU standout Ed Macauley) traveled with the St. Louis Eagles but missed much of the summer after he suffered a knee injury in July. What does this mean for Butler?

Personally I think a few SLU message board posters probably jumped him after practice at DeSmet Jesuit. Whack! Screw...(whack)....you....(whack)....if you think....(whack)....you are going....(whack).....to Butler.....(whack)....next year.

"Yeah, Rick, don't wooorry about it. He ain't gonna play too great next year."