• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Nebraska Game

Started by vu72, November 13, 2012, 06:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

So does that make our loss to Nebraska look worse or our victory over Kent St seem more impressive?
Beamin' Beacons

crusadermoe

And that was at Lincoln, right?     Nebraska is horrible.   I think it makes our loss worse.

valpotx

Our loss is MUCH worse than the win.  Again, Nebraska will be lucky to win 1 game in the Big 10 this year. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on November 25, 2012, 11:16:27 PM
Our loss is MUCH worse than the win.  Again, Nebraska will be lucky to win 1 game in the Big 10 this year. 
Not sure Nebraska is that bad.  Bottom two of the Big Ten for sure, but will most likely have 2-3 wins in conference. 

valporun

I could see Nebraska beating a Northwestern, Iowa, Penn St., or Illinois during the B1G Ten season. Illinois has a decent team, but there is always that B1G Ten trap game. Heck, the way Wisconsin is some years, they could get beat by a team like Nebraska too. Can't say they won't win at least one, maybe two, game(s) in conference this year.

78crusader

Doesn't matter.  Our chances for an at-large bid this year died with that loss. 

Paul

StlVUFan

Quote from: 78crusader on November 26, 2012, 03:11:22 PM
Doesn't matter.  Our chances for an at-large bid this year died with that loss. 

Paul
I continue to disagree.  Beat Murray State, New Mexico, and SLU, in addition to the home games against IUPUI and IPFW that they should win, be #1 seed, and lose in championship game and it is very possible to squeak into an at-large bid.

covufan

Quote from: wh on November 17, 2012, 10:04:41 PMFans who were using the restroom I was using at half time of the USC-Upstate game were pissed, I can tell you that.  "Too slow" was a phrase I heard, in spite of the fact that I thought they could drive to the hoop at will in the first half.  I'm guessing they were happier with the whole 2nd half, but I didn't mill around after the game was over.

No pun intended? 

As I always say: Better to be pissed off than pissed on...

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 26, 2012, 03:13:23 PMI continue to disagree. 

And I'm with you, Stl.  I keep banging the drum that no team with a gaudy W-L (at least 29-5) regardless of RPI etc. has ever been relegated to the NIT.  We have 3 or 4 more "losses to burn".

Like a video game, boys. Save some for the "big bosses"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 26, 2012, 07:15:51 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on November 26, 2012, 03:13:23 PMI continue to disagree. 

And I'm with you, Stl.  I keep banging the drum that no team with a gaudy W-L (at least 29-5) regardless of RPI etc. has ever been relegated to the NIT.  We have 3 or 4 more "losses to burn".

Like a video game, boys. Save some for the "big bosses"
Thanks ;)

Again, I have no problem with anyone who predicts that Valpo will lose one or more of those games I mentioned.  I would hope they have serious reasons they can give for such a prediction, but predictions are not the issue.

It's the definitive death sentence kind of declarations that I take issue with.  Sort of like Butler in 2010.  I had no comment about the continued predictions that Butler would lose.  What I laughed at was when they kept saying, "there's no way Butler wins".

It doesn't really affect the team, so of course it is harmless.  I don't literally "object" to such statements.  I just can't help countering them, that's all.  Besides, 6 games is a small sample size.  How well defined is this team, really, right now?  There's plenty of room for improvement, and I for one prefer to let the season unfold instead of daring to write the epitaph in advance.  That's part of the fun of college basketball for me, and why I generally tune out ESPN's college basketball coverage, to say nothing of bracketology everywhere it pops up.  It ruins the fun for me.

That's just me.  I don't expect anyone else to toe that line.  Just putting my position out there.  There have been 0 2-loss teams who were excluded from the NCAA tournament just because their 2nd loss was in the conference tournament (especially when it comes in the championship game).

Now, if you're really saying it's not likely, I would wholeheartedly agree.  But that makes it merely a challenge.  It's not yet dead.

Isn't it fun to watch a team take on a challenge and try to surmount it?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 26, 2012, 08:07:12 PMThere have been 0 2-loss teams who were excluded from the NCAA tournament just because their 2nd loss was in the conference tournament (especially when it comes in the championship game).

That's great!  (Are you just gut-certain of that statement, or is there a site or something whence you gleaned that?)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/687456/size/condensed/

Replay of Murray State/Lipscomb game from Nashville, home of Lipscomb on ESPN 3.

Murray State 88, Lipscomb 79.

I didn't realize MSU had a player with a Buckwheat/Chia Pet afro. Anyone remember the Chia Pet?

valporun

bbtds, "Chi, Chi, Chi, Chia!!"

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on November 26, 2012, 11:07:26 PM
bbtds, "Chi, Chi, Chi, Chia!!"

Well, Chia Pet hair Daniel just made Lipscomb lose in a game the Bison were ahead by 6 or so at one point in the second half. He was really outstanding. Watch out for the Artis Gilmore-haired guy.

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 26, 2012, 08:53:06 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on November 26, 2012, 08:07:12 PMThere have been 0 2-loss teams who were excluded from the NCAA tournament just because their 2nd loss was in the conference tournament (especially when it comes in the championship game).

That's great!  (Are you just gut-certain of that statement, or is there a site or something whence you gleaned that?)
Just gut-certain.  There have been 5-loss teams that were excluded, I'm fairly sure.  Not quite sure about 4-loss teams.

Seeding, on the other hand, could be a bit deflating for a 2-loss team, but I'd be absolutely stunned if a 2-loss team ever was excluded from an at-large bid.

agibson

In the last few years that sounds right.  5-loss teams are occasionally excluded but no 4-loss teams have been.

Coastal Carolina (28-5) took an auto-bid to the 2011 NIT.

Likewise 26-5 Stephen F. Austin in 2008.

I went back as far as the 2007 NIT, 2009 CBI, 2010 CIT.

Keeping it at a maximum of 6 losses seems to almost, but not quite, guarantee you an NIT bid.

That said, I don't know how many small conference five loss teams make it _into_ the NCAA as at-large.  Wichita State (MVC) in 2012.  George Mason (26-6) in 2011.  Gonzaga.  CUSA.  A10.  Mountain West.  South Alabama (26-6) in 2008.  Saint Mary's (26-7) in 2008.  Old Dominion (24-8) in 2007.  Southern Illinois (27-6) in 2007.

For the most part, from a sub-Red Line conference, it seems that if you've managed to keep it to five or six losses you're likely to win your NCAA auto-bid.

LaPorteAveApostle

gibson, I could have saved you the trouble:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=995.msg18627#msg18627

but good to know our figures agree.

Anyway, so let's settle on 4 losses for an auto-bid.  2 are already spoken for (Nebraska + whoever in the conf. tourney) so if we can take 2 of 3 from the SLU/UNM/MSU troika, and only drop one conf road game, hold serve at home...

WE CAN DO THIS PEOPLE

agibson

LaPorteAveApostle

But I see you had the same problem as I:  how do you know the best who weren't in? 

Or as Rumsfeld might put it:  how do we know what we know we don't know?

I think our solution (to check the other tourneys, as anyone with that gaudy a record surely got offered to play SOMEWHERE) is as good as it gets, unless there's some site I don't know about.

vusupporter

Nebraska 60, at Wake Forest 40, 8:05 to play.

Just saying.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 27, 2012, 06:45:00 PM
But I see you had the same problem as I:  how do you know the best who weren't in? 

Or as Rumsfeld might put it:  how do we know what we know we don't know?

I think our solution (to check the other tourneys, as anyone with that gaudy a record surely got offered to play SOMEWHERE) is as good as it gets, unless there's some site I don't know about.

Or, as Susan Rice would say about the reason for the Benghazi attack: I knew what I didn't know but I'm pretending I didn't.

valporun

Or be like Roger Clemens and just "misremember" it...

valpotx

Quote from: vusupporter on November 27, 2012, 09:46:02 PM

Just saying.

More power to them, though I am not sure how WF is this year.  The more wins Nebraska gets, the happier I will be, but I still say that they weren't that good when we saw them
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

Quote from: valpotx on November 28, 2012, 01:27:15 AM
Quote from: vusupporter on November 27, 2012, 09:46:02 PM

Just saying.

More power to them, though I am not sure how WF is this year.  The more wins Nebraska gets, the happier I will be, but I still say that they weren't that good when we saw them

This will tell you everything you need to know about Wake this year:

QuoteIona scored the game's first eight points, led 30-3 midway through the opening half and 48-11 after Tre Bowman's basket 5 minutes, 19 seconds before halftime. The Gaels hit 18 of their first 25 shots, including eight of their first nine 3-pointers.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=323220314

78crusader

Nebraska will either finish 0-18 or 1-17 in the Big 10 this year.

Paul