• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Banners

Started by wh, November 28, 2012, 02:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

As everyone knows, a long row of men's BB championship banners are hanging above the chairbacks.  They begin with a regular season Mid Con championship banner from '94-95 and continue almost non-stop through 2004 with NCAA Tournament banners, regular season championship banners and NIT banners.  Finally after a several year gap we win another conf. Championship and participate in the NIT.  You would think those banners would already be in place (given that we are well into the next season), but of course they're not.  Just the same old banners that falsely portray us to visitors and potential recruits as a "once was" program.  Just another example of the lack of attention to detail.  I wonder if the work order for new banners is laying uner the w.o. to fix the sound system.

agibson

Thanks for the post.  I was staring up at these last weekend, and wondering where the others were.  I hadn't quite put the pieces together - I saw they went up to a certain date (2004, apparently), but didn't remember that, until 2012, that would have been our last banner!

I figured there were several missing, and wondered if they ran out of space and switched sides of the gym, or some such, and they were over my head out of sight (there was volleyball, etc.).

I hope to see them hanging soon.

valpotx

That is surprising, though maybe they are inviting members of the team back for a certain game date to do the ceremony? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

mgovalpo

I'm pretty certain all the banners from last school year (basketball, bowling, softball and baseball) are hanging in the main entrance of the ARC over the stairs to the balcony. My guess is that they will be moved into the ARC next year when there are new banners to hang at the main entrance for this school year.

valpopal

Quote from: mgovalpo on November 28, 2012, 02:30:13 PM
I'm pretty certain all the banners from last school year (basketball, bowling, softball and baseball) are hanging in the main entrance of the ARC over the stairs to the balcony. My guess is that they will be moved into the ARC next year when there are new banners to hang at the main entrance for this school year.

Yes, all the new championship banners are hanging prominently in the main entrance lobby, and they are impressive as they greet arriving fans. I also expect they will be moved to a permanent spot inside at the end of the school year if there are new ones to take their place.

vusupporter

Yeah, they've been hanging in the lobby of the ARC now for somewhere around a month - I remember Valpo Athletics sharing pictures of them on both Facebook and Twitter.  Way off base calling it a lack of attention to detail, IMO.

valporun

Well, when you get so used to those banners going in the arena, not in the hallway leading to the gym, you kinda start to notice.

agibson

Not to put words in wh's mouth.  But, I guess it was another example of lack of attention to detail!  In this case, mine.  I'll have to check them out the next time I'm over there.

wh

So, they're in the midst of a bunch of banners in a pass thu area where people spend 30 seconds, while they're MIA from the exclusive row of men's BB banners in an area where people are in direct eye sight for 2 hours.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Did anyone ever think of maybe getting a second set, so we can accomplish two purposes at the same time?  Otherwise, the choice is to portray yourself as a happening athletics program - in either the entrance or inside the main venue, but not both.  Let's think about it.  Putting the banners inside the ARC does nothing to detract from the message you're trying to deliver in the entrance area, while not having them inside clearly sends and reinforces the wrong message about your primary sport - in a far more visible way for a far longer period of time.  It seems incredibly obvious to me which would be the better place.  What am I missing? 

wh

Quote from: vusupporter on November 28, 2012, 02:42:02 PM
Yeah, they've been hanging in the lobby of the ARC now for somewhere around a month - I remember Valpo Athletics sharing pictures of them on both Facebook and Twitter.  Way off base calling it a lack of attention to detail, IMO.

I said that when I thought they didn't exist.  Now that I know they were placed in the entrance area instead of where they should be inside the ARC, it would more appropriately called "lack of judgement."  Our all-time list of unique men's basketball accomplishments - hanging proudly from the one end of the court to the other - only 9 years out of date.  Definitely "lack of judgement."

"Lack of attention to detail" more appropriately applies to the ongoing sound system saga. 

valpospartan

I have been a season ticket holder, in the chairbacks, for many years, and have NEVER been able to
see the banners that are over my head. 

ml

It has been the Athletics Department's tradition to hang all of the championship banners from the most recently completed year in the front lobby of the ARC together.  This is done to reinforce Valpo's tradition of strong athletics across the department.   

It was because of this tradition that we rearranged the ARC lobby a couple of years back to more prominently display all of our championship trophies.  It is also why we started displaying banners for our All-Americans, head shots of all of our league-wide and national honors winners and the team pictures for all of our conference championship teams.

Most of our coaches meet their recruits in the front lobby of the ARC when they visit.  We are looking to start the conversation about the long term quality of Valpo Athletics by the statement made when people walk through the front door of our house.       

valpopal

Quote from: ml on November 28, 2012, 10:02:32 PM
It has been the Athletics Department's tradition to hang all of the championship banners from the most recently completed year in the front lobby of the ARC together.  This is done to reinforce Valpo's tradition of strong athletics across the department.   

It was because of this tradition that we rearranged the ARC lobby a couple of years back to more prominently display all of our championship trophies.  It is also why we started displaying banners for our All-Americans, head shots of all of our league-wide and national honors winners and the team pictures for all of our conference championship teams.

Most of our coaches meet their recruits in the front lobby of the ARC when they visit.  We are looking to start the conversation about the long term quality of Valpo Athletics by the statement made when people walk through the front door of our house.       

Thanks again, ml. Your input is helpful and makes sense to me. As I said previously, I think the lobby is impressive to folks as they enter. We just have to keep winning more banners to continually add to those in the arena itself and create a new stretch beside the ones already there.

Smj

Quote from: valpospartan on November 28, 2012, 09:11:20 PMI have been a season ticket holder, in the chairbacks, for many years, and have NEVER been able to see the banners that are over my head.

Man your seats must suck...   JK

wh

ML - In all due respect, the most meaningful set of banners anywhere at the ARC are the men's basketball banners hanging above the chairbacks.  More than just representing special team achievement as all banners do, they collectively represent the rich tradition that IS VU men's basketball.  No other sport comes close to that tradition.

That said, what would most impress a prospective men's basketball recruit is not seeing a bunch of banners and trophies from different sports that every school generically displays, but walking into the basketball venue for the first time and gazing at that set of special flags that portray this spot as a special place where champions are made.  That is a recruiting tool that 99% of our competitors only wish they had.  Having a set of banners that ends in 2004 unnecessarily detracts from that great story and does a disservice to a great program.
WH

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on November 28, 2012, 11:30:58 PM
ML - In all due respect, the most meaningful set of banners anywhere at the ARC are the men's basketball banners hanging above the chairbacks.  More than just representing special team achievement as all banners do, they collectively represent the rich tradition that IS VU men's basketball.  No other sport comes close to that tradition.

That said, what would most impress a prospective men's basketball recruit is not seeing a bunch of banners and trophies from different sports that every school generically displays, but walking into the basketball venue for the first time and gazing at that set of special flags that portray this spot as a special place where champions are made.  That is a recruiting tool that 99% of our competitors only wish they had.  Having a set of banners that ends in 2004 unnecessarily detracts from that great story and does a disservice to a great program.
WH

Wh, if you have more insider knowledge than that of an average fan, what I'm about to say probably is not valid, but if you are just looking at it from a fan's point of view, I'd suggest that ML probably has more knowledge of what recruits look for than you or I do.

Also, as I read ML, those banners you are talking about will be hanging up their next year, so it's not like they'll never be hanging in the arena itself.

wh

Well since you asked, I do happen to have a little working knowledge about strategic marketing and brand creation, as a couple of friends on this board can testify.  But this isn't about me.  It's about my interest in Valpo basketball and wanting us to put our best foot forward in building relationships with recruits and fans.  I made a constructive suggestion where I think we're leaving an opportunity on the table, and it's up to ml to act on it, or not.  Either way it won't impact my support for Valpo athletics.

valpospartan

Quote from: Smj on November 28, 2012, 11:17:50 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on November 28, 2012, 09:11:20 PMI have been a season ticket holder, in the chairbacks, for many years, and have NEVER been able to see the banners that are over my head.

Man your seats must suck...   JK
Actually I have the seats for a good view of the game, not to view banners.

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on November 29, 2012, 09:11:13 PM
Well since you asked, I do happen to have a little working knowledge about strategic marketing and brand creation, as a couple of friends on this board can testify.  But this isn't about me.  It's about my interest in Valpo basketball and wanting us to put our best foot forward in building relationships with recruits and fans.  I made a constructive suggestion where I think we're leaving an opportunity on the table, and it's up to ml to act on it, or not.  Either way it won't impact my support for Valpo athletics.

Just an opinion from the outside, but I think wh makes some good points.  I know very little about Valpo's tradition with displaying banners, but from my experience, most programs like to get those banners displayed in the arena as soon as possible.  I'm sure that the ESPN broadcasters during the NIU game mentioned Valpo's regular season championship and NIT appearance last year ... that sort of thing is usually accompanied by a video shot of the hanging banners.

I know there's extra cost involved, but wh's idea of hanging the banners in the ARC while still giving recognition of some sort (trophy/poster/etc.) in the lobby seems to make some sense.

FWalum

If they were to be moved, maybe a ceremony before the first conference game?  That would make a lot of sense to me especially since in my opinion the major banner is the regular season conference championship banner.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Smj

I was originally just trolling this topic but now i feel the need to comment.   Totally agree that we miss an opportunity to get images of them... Especially during the ESPN game earlier this year...   I have definitely seen games where they cut to a shot of the banners during other games.

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on November 30, 2012, 08:56:58 AM
Quote from: wh on November 29, 2012, 09:11:13 PM

Just an opinion from the outside, but I think wh makes some good points.  I know very little about Valpo's tradition with displaying banners, but from my experience, most programs like to get those banners displayed in the arena as soon as possible.  I'm sure that the ESPN broadcasters during the NIU game mentioned Valpo's regular season championship and NIT appearance last year ... that sort of thing is usually accompanied by a video shot of the hanging banners.

I know there's extra cost involved, but wh's idea of hanging the banners in the ARC while still giving recognition of some sort (trophy/poster/etc.) in the lobby seems to make some sense.

Did anyone else notice that they showed Murray State's 2011-12 OVC Championship banner yesterday during the ESPN-3 broadcast?  Just more evidence that our championship banner from last year should be hanging in place above the chairbacks. Understanding this should not be this difficult...

wh

Quote from: FWalum on November 30, 2012, 11:22:02 AM
If they were to be moved, maybe a ceremony before the first conference game?  That would make a lot of sense to me especially since in my opinion the major banner is the regular season conference championship banner.

Another opportunity lost...

valporun

wh, while it must have been another lost opportunity, is it possible they are doing the ceremony at the first home game after classes have resumed? I mean the students did have something to do with helping the team win that conference title, and they should get the honor/opportunity to see the team honored.

agibson

From what ml said, I'd expect them to be moved sometime this summer.  Or perhaps when the new (fingers crossed) banners arrive.