• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Loyola Jan. 2, 2013

Started by HC, January 01, 2013, 10:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

Based on how things have gone with this team, will it stop those who thought this team would be so special? They haven't proven any of you right, and they've played more to their own individual weaknesses, rather than to the team strengths. Strengths that I don't think exist anymore. It is going to be an even longer season with the way this team has lost touch with their game, the missed layups, shooting bad shots, turnovers like they are fresh out of the oven, and I don't mean the 'Broke Oven'. We have so many things that need to be fixed, and no chemistry in the lineups or rotations. It just makes it hard to watch this team with any sense of seriousness right now.

I hope for many positive changes as the remainder of the conference season plays out, but right now, I'm thinking we're going to have struggles trying to have a dominant performance in any game. Watching this team makes me feel like I hope the new recruits are better, but I'm still not sure that I can be excited about them without knowing anything about how good any of them play defense. Defense and making the high percentage shots are what we need from the recruits, not just "jumping out of the gym" or putting up 30-40 points a game. We need guys who can rip the ball from the opponent, and box out to get rebounds to convert the fastbreak.

LaPorteAveApostle

I've been beating the Rossi redshirt drum for months now, but after tonight, could he really not have been better than almost anyone else we put on the floor?

He can't play more than 10 games (30% of contests, rounded up) and he can play no more after next game (the halfway point) to apply for (another) medical 'shirt.  Of course, the third criterion would be an actual injury...

He has 9...so they could play him next game and still sit him and apply for it.  Perhaps both he and the staff know that the Rossi of 2015-16 would play a lot more minutes than the Rossi of 2012-13.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

Inconsistent - with flashes of excellence.    However, when it is bad it is really bad.   I see one game and think - wow we are going to be tough to beat and then the next game I wonder how we are going to win the next game.   I have to say I was concerned about this game because both of us came off emotional wins.  I was afraid our big win over Murray State might make us underestimate Loyola - and come in a bit unprepared.   We seem to play to the competition - with that - the win just goes to the team that has the last run...

This was hustle and bunnies.   Team looked tentative when shooting and we seemed to turn open looks into contested shots.   Usually I say if you aren't making baskets stop shooting, find someone open and get assists but with this we just never got a rhythm going on offense.   While this is the conference opener we have been playing for a while and you would think players would have their roles and the team chemistry would have developed.  For me, I still love watching some of the players on this team - win or lose, just hope to see more wins than losses. 

Question is - does this become a wake up call or downward confidence spiral?

valpopal

From the stands, Clay Yeo suggests: "Valpo sure could have used our help tonight." A stunned Alec Peters thinks, "54 points? We could have outscored the whole team!"

HC

I thought someone said Rossi wasn't dressed tonight? I'm right there with you, if Will isn't going to shoot the ball Rossi should get a chance. Someone give Will a tape of last years game at Detroit and get his confidence back!

valpospartan

Riddle:
What do the following numbers stand for?

Answer:
The FG percentages for 6 of the 10 VU players, tonight. They were 6 for 28 or a sterling 21%. (Each of the remaining 4 shot 50%) 
Oh, another thing - 3 pt % - Rowdy 3-5 60%.  REST of team (4 shooters) - 1-10 10% .

LaPorteAveApostle

Sign that our offense was completely out of whack tonight:  Rowdy NO FTAs.

Just the 3rd time in the last 2 years--Oakland this year and OSU last.  Both also games we would totally like to forget.

HOWEVA, perhaps some credit should be given to the Loyola defense?  In 7 career games, Rowdy has 14 FTA, or 2/gm (6 in one game alone).  Career total he averages 2.64, so that's a significant cut below.  In the last 2 years (when he became SUPER ROWDY), he has 7 in 3 (2.33/gm) but over those seasons he's averaged 3.5!

Speaking of FTs, for everyone knocking Dority, I'll repeat myself (again) that while he doesn't shoot great from the floor, his game produces points.  He's averaging just under 7 FTAs a game since he became active, and is averaging six makes a game.  They have different games, but Dority's is valuable--and would be crucial if he could just make 40% from the floor

Points Per Shot, games since Missouri St: 
Broekhoff:  75 pts / 52 shots (5 games) 1.44 PPS
Dority: 78 pts / 58 shots (6 games) 1.34 PPS

Although it should be noted that weighted (for FTs), it's clear they are not quite of the same value:
Points Per Weighted Shot, same split:
Broekhoff: 1.29
Dority:  1.09

http://bigtenwonk.blogspot.com/2006/11/ppws-points-per-weighted-shot-ppws.html
QuotePPWS: points per weighted shot
PPWS = PTS/(FGA + (0.475 x FTA))

PPWS is an odd name that I coined a couple years ago and applied to a stat created by John Hollinger. In effect, PPWS measures how efficiently a player translates field goal attempts and free throws into points.

In PPWS terms, anything over 1.30 is outstanding.

For the season, Rowdy is 1.31, 2nd in the HL among regulars. (KVW #4 at 1.27)
http://www.bbstate.com/confstats/HL/indiv/PPWS

(HOWEVA, among all players, Rossi is #1 at 1.9.  ONE POINT NINE people. 

Point of reference (small Rossi-sample-size caveat):  UM frosh phenom Nik Stauskas leads the country in PPWS at 1.47. 
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

Quote from: HC on January 02, 2013, 10:57:32 PM
I thought someone said Rossi wasn't dressed tonight? I'm right there with you, if Will isn't going to shoot the ball Rossi should get a chance. ......
Anyone have inside info on Rossi?   Seems strange that he was not dressed.  Hoping to hear news on his situation but I guess since he barely gets into the rotation it probably does not make a difference for this year.

On another topic:
Ref - impact on game

The refs tonight really let them play.  This does not usually seem like it is good for us.   It was a bit strange because they did not call anything inside but called Buggs for two quick fouls where it had no impact on the player or the game.  I think we are a team that needs an expectation set by the refs that calls will be made.   When that happens we get a game on our terms.   When they allow a very physical game with few calls we struggle.   

wh

Observations from tonight's game:

1. This was a total team loss.  We were out scouted, out coached and out played. 
2. Possession after possession Loyola used a series of picks to get the Avercamp-Buggs/Dority mis-match.  We were caught totally unprepared to deal with it.  It was like taking candy from a baby.  Whichever asst. coach was responsible for scouting Loyola should refuse to take their pay check this week.  Bryce might consider doing the same for not being able to make any adjustments to stop it, as well as numerous other coaching blunders throughout the game. 
3. The book on stopping Valpo's offense begins and ends with playing 6-8' off of Buggs when he is out front.  This makes it nearly impossible to get an entry pass into the low post, or if we do Erik's man is right there to double down.  This has pretty well neutralized Kevin this entire season and turned him into an 8-10 point scorer who gets shots blocked and misses difficult shots against 2 defenders that he didn't have to deal with last year.  Erik brings a lot to the table on the defensive end, but his pathetic skills on the offensive end are absolutely killing us.   So, how did we beat Murray State?  Because they (stupidly) played Erik straight up.
4. Loyola was unbelievably physical the entire game and got away with a lot of crap.  I thought I was watching a playground game where players were supposed to call their own fouls but no one did.  That said we have a senior-laden team that ought to be able to adjust to physical play, but we never did match their intensity.  That's squarely on the players.
5. Capo is playing smaller and smaller with every game.  Within a few games he will be looking about 5-10.  Enough said about that.
6. Down the stretch during desperation time we were 3-4 possessions behind, yet we continued to run clock and/or drive the hoop trying for 2-pt hoops when the only chance we had was to hit some quick back-to-back 3's.  Ryan drove the hoop once and Dority several times.  I couldn't believe what I was watching.  We had absolutely no chance of a miracle comeback with that strategy.  We might as well have subbed everyone out with 3 min. to go and conceded the game.
7. As others have pointed out, this team continues to have an identity crisis.  There are players that have clearly not accepted their roles.  I am really starting to wonder about the wisdom of having a team full transfers.  That said, Matt Kinney is not a transfer and yet he completely disappeared tonight.  So much for the theory that starting him might help jump start "good Matt."
8. I didn't like the way Porter Wagoner continually buzzed in the officials ears at the beginning of every time out, but give the man credit. The refs swallowed their whistles all night which is obviously what he wanted.  Sadly, Bryce just let all the chatter continue unchallenged.
9. Wagoner had to be laughing under his breath at just how easy it was to come in to our house, bully us around, and out coach us at every turn. 

valporun

wh, I'm not old enough to remember Porter Wagoner in his "hay day", but Porter Mosher has definitely recruited some athletes, and turned the Loyola Ramblers around. They don't look like students posing as basketball players anymore.

bbtds

His name is Porter Moser. He was an asst at Saint Louis under Rick Majerus before getting the Loyola head coaching position. The interesting thing is that when Jim Whitesell got let go by Loyola he ended up with the position Moser left at Saint Louis when Moser got Whitesell's job. They actually just switched jobs.

LaPorteAveApostle

Look, bbtds, if we can't spell our own women's coach's name right, clearly we can't be bothered to get anyone else's name right ;)

wh

Quote from: bbtds on January 02, 2013, 11:57:27 PM
His name is Porter Moser. He was an asst at Saint Louis under Rick Majerus before getting the Loyola head coaching position. The interesting thing is that when Jim Whitesell got let go by Loyola he ended up with the position Moser left at Saint Louis when Moser got Whitesell's job. They actually just switched jobs.

Gee, I didn't know that.  He bears an amazing resemblance to Porter Wagoner.  I just assumed that must be his name.  Not so?  Are you sure?

DMvalpo18

- Boggs/Bogan have been rendered ineffective by their lack of shooting (and rebounding, for that matter).
- Why is Ryan not touching the ball on every possession?
- Dority shoots a lot, and I question some of his shot selection. But it beats Erik Buggs shooting.
- KVW has simply not played like a Horizon first teamer, or even a second teamer for that matter. His flaws (namely not having post up moves, just barreling his way to the basket) have been exposed and he continually gets his shot blocked, misses layups, or commits an offensive foul.
- It seems like only Buggs has been playing consistent defense, and even he continues to have his foul issues.
- I totally agree with Capo playing small. I really thought he was going to bring a lot to the table, but so far he has underwhelmed my expectations.

*Sigh*.....I thought we had something going for us with this team. If we don't regroup fast, we will have a disappointing season.

Smj

humbleopinion

Notes:
Buggs was the only player to actually hit a 3 other than Rowdy.

Buggs has learned to score in spite of the other teams dropping off of him.  At one point last night, I was surprised to look up and see that he led the team with nine points.

Buggs seems to have put his foul problems behind him.  He got two chippy fouls called on him, and was able to play under control the rest of the game, in spite of being matched up against Avercamp.

I'm not saying that he's all conference on offense, but I think that his play is up a notch from last year.

Does no one have any info on why Rossi was hanging out with Chadwick instead of being available?
Beamin' Beacons

lowposter

Porter Moser is an excellent coach and he and his staff have done a great job in bringing in 9 new players and melding them into a TEAM...on short notice.  His staff has deep roots to the state of Indiana and they are actively recruiting talent in this state (Osborn and O'Leary are freshmen and Jordan Pickett is a senior point guard on Pike, currently the best team in the state).   Jason Gardner played at Arizona and is quite a recruiter.

Recall last year that Loyola with one victory took VU to overtime here at home and possibly would have won had Averkamp been called for a phantom foul with 8 minutes to go.

Let's see, how does UIC look on the schedule?  Another easy win? 

This is a great wake up call, lets see if VU hits the snooze button or jumps up and gets going.

lowposter

milldew72

This team has one legit DI player in Ryan. The rest should be playing VERY low DI or mostly DII.
Dority stinks, as do Bogan, BUggs, Boggs and Capobianco. And Kevin, holy cow. Every time he touches the ball in the low post his first, immediate reaction is to look for someone to pass to instead of turning and putting up a 2-foot shot. But worst of all is Bryce. He looked absolutely lost on the sideline.
Loyola was scoring at will and all he could do after his boys gave up another EASY basket was clap his hands as they brought the ball up the floor.
Gonna be a long season.

vuchicago

Wow well sounds like the defending Horizon League coach of the year should just quit.
I'm disappointed as everyone else about last night's game and the inconsistency so far, but these type of games seem to be the norm throughout the Horizon League this year and I expect plenty of upsets.  Just gotta take it game by game. 
Not giving up at all on this team for the #1 seed and host of the tourney. Feel like Ryan will pull this team together......call me a blind optimist or whatever but these guys have proven they can do it.
GO VALPO BEAT CSU

vuweathernerd

of all the games for some of our incoming recruits to be at, it had to be this one? ouch.

valpotx

Interesting that Jason Gardner is at Loyola, didn't know that information.  It seems they have matched our solid former major conference player with their own (Roger Powell to Jason).  You would think guys like this are good judges of talent, so it makes more sense to me now how they were 1-17 in conference last year, and are 10-3 this year
"Don't mess with Texas"

atkins

Quote from: lowposter on January 03, 2013, 08:16:03 AM
Porter Moser is an excellent coach and he and his staff have done a great job in bringing in 9 new players and melding them into a TEAM...on short notice.  His staff has deep roots to the state of Indiana and they are actively recruiting talent in this state (Osborn and O'Leary are freshmen and Jordan Pickett is a senior point guard on Pike, currently the best team in the state).   Jason Gardner played at Arizona and is quite a recruiter.
This analysis is spot-on.  Moser is known as a great x's-and-o's guy and trained under Majerus, who was almost universally regarded as one of the best defensive-oriented coaches in college basketball history.  Gardner is akin to Powell.  They're both great recruiters.  Bryce grew up in coaching under Homer who, lets' face it, is not an x's-and-o's guy.  Bryce probably could have used a couple of years under a Majerus-like coach who has been through the battles and won them.  Bryce and Powell simply need more seasoning.  They have great potential.  Hopefully, they will grow and learn along with the 2013 freshmen. 

valporun

Porter Moser was also a head coach in the MVC at Illinois State, before they let him go, and he became an assistant to Rick Majerus at St. Louis. Moser definitely looks like a better coach than he was in his MVC days.

valpo84

As a point of reference, Xavier spent 2.5 hours in the locker room last night after to losing to Wake Forest in the Skip Prosser Classic. Xavier has been struggled and clearly had a "come to Jesus"/Coach Norman Dale session. This team has something going on and it may be time for a team-only figure it out moment. (Sounds like 97-98 season, didn't Tommy Lasorda give some sort of motivational speech).

This team also needs to understand that you want to be the "new" Butler, then you are going to get everyone's best shot every night. We have not been very good as the hunted, but rather the hunter.

By the way, told my wife 3 minutes into last night's game that the refs were letting them play and we needed to get tougher. It never happened and the refs stayed consistent the rest of the night.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vubballfan10

Quote from: HC on January 02, 2013, 10:03:31 PMWill needs to shoot or sit down. Coach Drew was outcoached both on the court and in preparing his team for the game. Hopefully they can pull it together and beat an injury plagued CSU team. http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2013/01/what-is-wrong-with-valpo.html?m=1 Brent wrote this one. I don't really agree about Boggs but everything else is pretty spot on IMO. A fella named Adam won our contest on the blog. If Adam is on here go back to the blog to claim your prize.

I would have to replace Matt Kenney for Ben Boggs on #2 in that article.  Ben Boggs is statistically much improved from last year, but we have not seen the real Matt Kenney yet this season.  I'm not saying he should score 27 like he did as a freshman against Loyola, but Kenney should be scoring 8-9 points per game.