• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Zobeck Drafted in MLS

Started by KL31NY, January 22, 2013, 01:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: KL31NY on March 09, 2013, 08:11:37 PM
Story from FC's website posted Thursday about Zobeck: http://www.fcdallas.com/blog/post/2013/03/07/kyle-zobeck-gets-congrats-hyndman-having-four-goalkeepers

Quote"Let's say Raul is our No. 1. He's gone for the [World Cup] qualification games. That puts Chris at No. 2. Who is No. 3? Richard? He's going to be gone a lot too," Hyndman said.
"The more and more pressure we put on him the more he did well," Hyndman said. "We knew we had to pick up another keeper and we thought Kyle could do good enough and continue to develop for us to be that player."
Also, here's some Reserve League details for a possible chance to catch Zo in action
http://www.fcdallas.com/2013-reserve-league-schedule
Yep, 10:00 a.m. on a Wed morning isn't exactly optimal fan viewing time.

KL31NY

Story from 3rd Degree about GK Chris Seitz mentioning Zobeck: http://soccerblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/catching-up-with-fc-dallas-keeper-chris-seitz.html/

QuoteHow much of a mentoring role have you been playing with FCD's newest keeper, Kyle Zobeck?

Seitz: Yeah, I think it's good. We have good communication, between him and I, Richard and even Raul a bit where we kind of level each other out. If someone's having a bad day, someone's kind of frustrated or really not understanding what's going on we kind of slow it down and play it out for them. And the thing with Kyle is Kyle's a really good goalkeeper, a really athletic goalkeeper who can make some big saves. So for us, it's just kind of keeping it positive because at times it's frustrating. No one wants to be in that role of that far down on the depth chart and he's handling it well and he's improved a lot from first day here to now and I've been able to see all of it.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VULB#62

There are athletes who do really well at a certain level but can't transition to the next (the athletic version of the Peter Principle).  And there are others who do well, but not necessarily spectacular, at one level, move to the next and are good enough there (but not spectacular) to move up another rung of the ladder, and continue to do that without flaming out.  They are smart, figure out what it takes, and go about doing what is necessary to advance.  It's part of their DNA.  Kyle impresses me as that kind of athlete.

KL31NY

FC Dallas finished in a 3-3 draw with the LA Galaxy tonight and Zobeck appeared to be the backup keeper. Richard Sanchez has been away for activities with Mexico and is currently on loan with the NASL's Fort Lauderdale Strikers (Stefan Antonijevic is here, too). Raul Fernandez has been the #1 and even started in the MLS All-Star Game, but did not appear in the online box score as a member of the team's 18-man roster while Zobeck did. Do not now for sure why Fernandez was inactive, but it was a fun match to watch (especially at the end) and good to know how close "Zo" was to making his MLS debut. Not bad for his first time on the 18 for a regular season match...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vusupporter

Fernandez was called in by Peru for their friendly this week.

historyman

Quote from: KL31NY on August 11, 2013, 09:48:28 PMFC Dallas finished in a 3-3 draw with the LA Galaxy tonight and Zobeck appeared to be the backup keeper. Richard Sanchez has been away for activities with Mexico and is currently on loan with the NASL's Fort Lauderdale Strikers (Stefan Antonijevic is here, too). Raul Fernandez has been the #1 and even started in the MLS All-Star Game, but did not appear in the online box score as a member of the team's 18-man roster while Zobeck did. Do not now for sure why Fernandez was inactive, but it was a fun match to watch (especially at the end) and good to know how close "Zo" was to making his MLS debut. Not bad for his first time on the 18 for a regular season match...
When you think about the fact that Clint Dempsey, an American, is getting $24 million for 3.5 years to play in the MLS for the Seattle Sounders, you know that it is no longer a small accomplishment to start a game for an MLS team.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Kyle will find a way to make it to the next level.

agibson

Good to see Zobeck on the roster again this week, against Vancouver.  He'll get some minutes one of these days.

(I do check on Kyle every once in a while, but was actually checking on Vancouver.  My boy Jay Demerit was back in the 18-man roster today!  First time since going down injured in the first game of the season.)

Looks like Kyle has gotten a couple of starts for the reserves, while more often being on their bench.  I've not looked closely at the results.

agibson

Not to do with the MLS, but did someone post Zobeck's Coleman award?

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/zobeck-schmit-named-2012-13-cecil-n-coleman-award-winners?page=2&sport_id=5

QuoteThe Horizon League's highest individual honor, the Coleman Award is presented annually to the League's top male and female student-athletes who best exemplify the dignity and high purpose of the League and its membership. The individuals demonstrate outstanding achievement in academics, athletics and extracurricular activities.

Valpo's second honoree (Jackie Kondratko, 2010).

agibson

With Raul Fernandez returning from international duty, Zobeck was no longer on the game day roster yesterday.

Was Fernandez Peru's first choice keeper?  He started their last friendly, and the first of the two matches of this last international "break" (no break for MLS, of course).  He may have missed the second with yellow card accumulation.

Unfortunately, perhaps, for Kyle Peru also got knocked out of the qualifying.  Otherwise, the World Cup next summer might have been a good chance for Zobeck.

Anyhow, Peru will still play their last two qualifiers - so there's a decent chance we'll see Zobeck making the roster again in October.

Odds are FC Dallas won't make a deep enough playoff run for the November international break to matter for Kyle.  If, indeed, they qualify for the playoffs at all.  But, who knows?

agibson

Shall we make this the Jay Demerit thread as well? Why not! ;)

Great to see him come on at the 31' mark as an injury sub.  Vancouver held on for a scoreless draw on the road.  Jay took the captain's arm band in the second half, and was named Man of the Match.  Huzzah!

valpotx

FC Dallas was on fire for the first half of the season, but cooled off considerably since then.  They are fighting for the last playoff spot, and hopefully get it together to at least make the playoffs.  The same can be said for my Rangers, who are 3-12 in their last 15, clinging to the first WC playoff spot.  We just try to blow huge leads in this area  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Nice!  And not even an international break.  I wonder what the story is?

agibson

Fishing around a bit, it may be something like "Seitz often starts for the reserves, sometimes Zobeck does."  This time, it seems like Seitz started for the reserves on September 25, and then the senior team played a few days after (September 29), so that may have been enough to "rest" Seitz and give Zobeck the nod.  Who knows.  Maybe we'll see him make the bench in similar situations in the future.

Some more random details, below.  Including my review of Dallas' goalie depth chart

It seems, at least, that Zobeck's cementing himself as their third place option.

Fishing around a little bit for the Columbus game: Fernandez starting, Zobeck bench.

Zobeck's three appearances on the bench: August 11, September 7, September 29.

He also started for the reserves September 30?  Got fairly good reviews in the appearance, some credit for Dallas' goal, but left the game with an injury in the 70th minute.   Not completely clear if he was implicated in any of Columbus' reserves three goals. 

Raul Fernandez an MLS All-Star (starter), Peruvian international, and former substitute in France's Ligue 1.  Was on the bench May 11, but seems to basically always start unless he's on international duty.
Started September 29.

Chris Seitz seems to have been the starting goalie for Philadelphia Union in 2010-2011.  Played for the US U23 when younger.  Started for Dallas, 1, 5, and 4 times in the 2010-2011, 2011-2012, and 2012-2013 seasons.  His last two starts were Zobeck's Aug 11 and September 7 trips up to the bench.  Also started May 11, March 23.  Wasn't on the bench September 29.

Victor Ulloa on the bench four times, March 23 (two substitute goalies? with Sanchez), May 8 (two again? with Seitz), Jul 20 (two again? with Seitz), August 24 (two substitute goalies? with Seitz).  Has appeared for Peru U20, but not for a couple of years.  Did see time in a game once, as a sub, for FC Dallas in the 2011-2012 season.

Richard Sanchez on the bench once, March 23 (and plays for Mexico U20).

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Yeah, I saw that.  One of these days, he's going to get into a senior team game!  And, conventionally, it takes goalkeepers a good while to mature.  If he keeps getting regular time in the reserves there's every chance he has a bright future ahead of him.

This one surprised me.  It seems entirely likely that Fernandez will get called up for Peru, despite the fact that they're eliminated from qualifying.  But, last I heard, while Peru had announced most of their roster they hadn't yet announced their goalies (maybe they have by now...).

But, even if he _was_ getting called up, why couldn't he play Saturday?  Several US internationals played even on Sunday.  Even in Europe.  Before reporting to camp.

But, anyhow, Seitz started and Zobeck was on the bench.  Good for him.

With three games to play... it seems entirely possible that they'll be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention with at least a game left to play.  (They'd need to win out, and get some help, to make the playoff.  A draw or loss in their next game, or a variety of other scenarios, would eliminate them.)

I wonder if the manager will experiment with the roster if they have games left after they're eliminated?

(I notice that Antonijevic's team won, and is not yet mathematically eliminated from their Soccer Bowl.  But, they'd need some help down the stretch.  He started at center back in their last win, probably a regular thing?)

agibson

Fernandez... not called up.  So, I'm not sure what the deal was with the last game.  Just resting maybe. 

It does seem to hurt Zobeck's chances, but we'll see what happens in Chicago tomorrow - Dallas kicking off at about the same time as Valpo hosts league-leading Milwaukee.

Dallas... still not eliminated from the playoffs.  But only three teams are, I think.

valpotx

Yeah, we aren't going to be making the playoffs.  Same thing as the Rangers, completely blew the second half of the season!
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: agibson on October 11, 2013, 02:55:09 PMIt does seem to hurt Zobeck's chances, but we'll see what happens in Chicago tomorrow - Dallas kicking off at about the same time as Valpo hosts league-leading Milwaukee.

In Chicago... Fernandez still didn't appear!  Not sure what's going on.  Seitz gets the second start in a row while Fernandez is presumably available.  And Zobeck on the bench for a second game in a row, as well.  Good for him, at least.  Zobeck started for the reserves in Chicago, and got a strong match report, and I think his first clean sheet.  So, things continue to look bright for him, from my perspective.

Dallas... still not eliminated from the playoffs.  But only three teams are, I think.

Dallas now eliminated from the playoffs.  Are they ready to start to think about the future a little, and maybe give Zobeck a chance between the pipes with the first team?

agibson

Not sure what's up with Fernandez.  It's Seitz again today, with Zobeck on the bench.  Maybe we can manage at least a sighting of him on TV, on the bench?  On NBC right now, against Seattle.

valpotx

Head coach is resigning after this season, so we will see if this changes anything next year!
"Don't mess with Texas"