• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Student Section of the Year Voting

Started by govalpogo, January 23, 2013, 06:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

Hey Friends,

Remember years ago when ESPN took votes to see where the best college basketball atmosphere in the nation was; and thanks to an intense ballot-stuffing campaign Valpo ended up 9th?  Well, we have another opportunity for some ballot stuffing for those who are Facebook savvy with the Naismith Awards: student section of the year award.  Valpo broke the top 25 last night and is now up to #23 in votes.  If your on Facebook, follow the link and vote for the ol' Brown and Gold once a day until Feb 6.  If nothing else, it's some bragging rights and a way to embrace our competitive sides, right?

http://www.facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops

agibson

Let's do it! 

The last ballot stuffing effort has turned into a great propaganda piece.  Let's do it again!

valpo04

This thread (and any other new thread created in the Valpo Sports category) is automatically posted to our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ValpoFanZone).  You can share the post (http://www.facebook.com/ValpoFanZone/posts/410565925690721) on your own profile to help this go viral!  :thumbsup:

govalpogo

We're making progress as Valpo now sits in 16th!  Apparently, the "Sweet 16" make it to the next round on Feb 6.  Keep spreading the word and voting every day!

talksalot

By Bye Florida... By Bye Boise State... Valpo #13 and Climbing!

valpopal

This seems like a good opportunity to congratulate the student section for their attendance and enthusiasm lately. As noted on this board in recent years, there have been times student support for the team appeared down; however, the turnout and energy—especially this semester with conference play—has been admirable at home and away games, as seen by the rowdy (and "Rowdy") fans in a couple of my photos from the Green Bay game last night, a mid-week meeting that normally would have a smaller crowd. I can verify the noise descending to the court from the student section has been impressive and much appreciated by the players.

govalpogo

Body Paint for a Weds night, non TV game is impressive!  We have now passed BYU for #12 on the list.  Remember to vote today if you haven't already!

talksalot

Just voted,again... the 'Cuse are next up for us to pass....Vote Early and Vote Daly... oooops, sorry Brennan, I meant Vote Daily....

vuweathernerd

we're now number 11, having jumped the orange. i'd love to see us get past marquette and break into the top 10.

agibson

Someone should definitely ping this thread once a day - keep it up!

govalpogo

historyman

Is there anyway to tell how many votes Marquette is ahead of Valpo?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

hailcrusaders

Since you sign in with an email address, I believe you can vote multiple times per day if you use different emaol addresses.
#CrusadersForever

LaPorteAveApostle

Wait you can sign in with email? ..I've been blowing it off 'cause I quit FB last year.

NOW YOU KIDZ GET OFFA MY LAWN
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

Good Morning... We are now #10 !! Next Up?  Illini...Vote !!!!!

govalpogo

Our ascent continues as we crack the top 10! We have passed Marquette and now set our sights on Illinois for the #9 spot.  Looking at the top 25 since Wednesday, we are the only team making a big charge...and for a school and alumni base of our size compared to others on the list, I think that's saying something about the passion and community of Valparaiso University and Valpo basketball.  Since prior to our game against GB, this is what has happened in the top 25:

Weds:                                        Today (1/26 AM)
1. VCU                                         1. VCU   
2. Kansas                                     2. Kansas
3. Purdue                                     3. Indiana +1
4. Indiana                                    4. Purdue  -1
5. Gonzaga                                   5. Pitt  +1
6. Pitt                                         6. Gonzaga -1
7. Utah St.                                   7. Utah St.
8. Iowa St.                                   8. Iowa St.
9. Marquette                                 9. Valpo +14
10. Illinois                                    10. Illinois
11. BYU                                       11. Marquette -2
12. Syracuse                                12. Syracuse
13. Boise St.                                 13.  BYU -2
14. Florida                                    14. Boise St. -1
15. Colorado                                 15. Florida -1
16. Saint Joe                                16. Colorado -1
17. Dayton                                   17. Dayton
18. Southern                                18. Saint Joe -2
19. San Diego St.                          19. Southern -1
20. Washington St.                        20. Washington St.
21. Auburn                                   21. UNLV +4
22. Mizzou                                   22.  Auburn -1
23. Valpo                                     23. San Diego St. -4
24. Maryland                                24. Mizzou -2
25. UNLV                                     25. St. Bonnie (UNR) 

Maryland was the only team to drop from the top 25, St. Bonaventure is the new kid on the block, San Diego St. lost the most spots, and UNLV gained the most (besides Valpo).   

When I was a freshman, the ESPN #9 propaganda was still very much used and I felt like as a fan, I had a reputation to live up to which made me feel less silly for getting excited about mid major basketball.  After the 9-22 season my sophmore year, that propaganda flew out the window, and it's been a slow recovery ever since.  My hope is that a strong finish (or win!) in this contest can give current and future VU students a new reputation to buy into!  Keep voting and spreading the word!  We're kicking butt!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: govalpogo on January 26, 2013, 09:47:41 AM
Our ascent continues as we crack the top 10! We have passed Marquette and now set our sights on Illinois for the #9 spot.  Looking at the top 25 since Wednesday, we are the only team making a big charge...and for a school and alumni base of our size compared to others on the list, I think that's saying something about the passion and community of Valparaiso University and Valpo basketball.  Since prior to our game against GB, this is what has happened in the top 25:

9. Marquette                                 9. Illinois +1
10. Illinois                                    10. Valpo +13

Maryland was the only team to drop from the top 25, St. Bonaventure is the new kid on the block, San Diego St. lost the most spots, and UNLV gained the most (besides Valpo).   

When I was a freshman, the ESPN #9 propaganda was still very much used and I felt like as a fan, I had a reputation to live up to which made me feel less silly for getting excited about mid major basketball.  After the 9-22 season my sophmore year, that propaganda flew out the window, and it's been a slow recovery ever since.  My hope is that a strong finish (or win!) in this contest can give current and future VU students a new reputation to buy into!  Keep voting and spreading the word!  We're kicking butt!

Hear hear!!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: govalpogo on January 26, 2013, 09:47:41 AM

9. Marquette                                 9. Illinois +1
10. Illinois                                    10. Valpo +13

+13, holy crap! No one else is gained more than +4. Let's keep the momentum up!
#CrusadersForever

govalpogo

Updated: +14 now! Valpo up to numbah 9

agibson

Looks like we're still #9 today - vote, vote, vote!

historyman

http://www.facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops

I posted this here because I was tired of scrolling up the whole page.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

govalpogo

We reportedly had 8th place for a brief time yesterday before being chased back to 9th...where we seem to be stuck...spread the word and vote Valpo!

bbtds

Quote from: govalpogo on January 28, 2013, 09:21:26 AM
We reportedly had 8th place for a brief time yesterday before being chased back to 9th...where we seem to be stuck...spread the word and vote Valpo!

It seems the Amesians have recognized our assent and has taken on an offensive position.