• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Student Section of the Year Voting

Started by govalpogo, January 23, 2013, 06:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

You missed the general point I was making on that part.  It isn't that you won't succeed in the real world if you miss a basketball game, it is that you won't succeed in the real world if you can't juggle many things at one time.  If anyone has high aspirations for their career, their multi-tasking will be a big determinant of how far they go.  If someone feels that they are a really good fan of the program, they will be able to juggle these multiple tasks, to be able to attend at least a portion of each game.  Yes, you may miss a game here and there, but the general home student attendance has been pitiful outside of a chance to be on TV.  I am speaking about this overall showing, not just the one game.  Students are making excuses for what I felt was such an easy thing to do, even while being committed to normal classes/studying/homework, PLUS the additional 20-40 hours/week an athlete puts into their sport.  If I could do it and make each game, then a few hundred students should be able to do so as well, even if it is not the same students each time.  Our team is 18-6, 8-2 in conference, and in first place for crying out loud...
"Don't mess with Texas"

hailcrusaders

Quote from: valpotx on February 07, 2013, 02:19:30 PMYes, you may miss a game here and there, but the general home student attendance has been pitiful outside of a chance to be on TV.

Can you refer to any specific games to back that up? I think student attendance has been pretty good this year, at least compared to the last few years.

Quote from: valpopal on November 10, 2012, 10:34:02 PMHere are some of the photos I took at the game. As you can see, the student turnout was pretty good, and I am hoping that will continue to even grow more as the season progresses, especially if the team wins as many games as it should.  

Quote from: valpopal on January 20, 2013, 12:38:58 PM"The student section was sensational tonight, the crowd was loud all night long, and I think our guys really fed off the enthusiasm in the building, especially in those last five minutes." —Bryce Drew

Quote from: valpopal on January 24, 2013, 07:01:02 PMThis seems like a good opportunity to congratulate the student section for their attendance and enthusiasm lately. As noted on this board in recent years, there have been times student support for the team appeared down; however, the turnout and energy—especially this semester with conference play—has been admirable at home and away games, as seen by the rowdy (and "Rowdy") fans in a couple of my photos from the Green Bay game last night, a mid-week meeting that normally would have a smaller crowd. I can verify the noise descending to the court from the student section has been impressive and much appreciated by the players.

Quote from: govalpogo on January 24, 2013, 07:38:38 PMBody Paint for a Weds night, non TV game is impressive!

None of these games were televised, yet still got a pretty good student turnout, I'd say.
#CrusadersForever

govalpogo

Putting this debate aside for a moment, Phase II voting has begun and 8 minutes in, St. Bonnie is already in the lead, with us in 2nd.  The standings will likely fluctuate greatly in the next couple minutes/hours/days.   VOTE VOTE VOTE

valpotx

Sure, obviously the UIC game we just played is one.  Another I remember is the GB game you mention above, as the quotes even indicated 'for a Wednesday game.'  Day of the week should not matter for getting a few hundred students IMO.  You also state 'compared to the last few years.'  This would be a correct statement, that it has been improved versus the last few seasons, but it still is not as good as it should be.  Granted, I went to school in a time where below 4,000 fans at a Valpo home game was just pathetic, as we even drew more than that against Chicago State.
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Good Morning...

1   St. Bonaventure Bonnies
2   VCU Rams
3   Valparaiso Crusaders
4   Purdue Boilermakers
5   Kansas Jayhawks
6   Southern University Jaguars
7   Indiana Hoosiers
8   Gonzaga Bulldogs
9   Pitt Panthers
10   Marquette Golden Eagles

vuweathernerd

agibson

I don't know if it's much "defense" - but it has seemed like a busy week on campus.  Along with the other events mentioned, there was some sort of an inter-denominational discussion opposite the game on Tuesday with the Chapel, St. T's, etc.

And, just with academics, I know several of my students were on 0 sleep when they made it to class on Wednesday.

So, I encourage my students to come out and support VU Athletics, particularly the basketball team.  But, I also don't mind when they give their classes greater priority!

In terms of drumming up support for the campaign - it was featured on the front page, above the crease, of the Torch last week
http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_1a9d363e-6cab-11e2-9feb-0019bb30f31a.html

The details on voting are a little murky.  But, good to see the publicity.  And, there was apparently some outreach to alumni (though I'm not sure I saw anything...).

Anyhow - I think it's clear that a good finish in this contest would be a feather in the cap of VU basketball, and can only help to continue to build our student section.

Go out and vote!

http://www.facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops/app_585093751508025

Currently in 4th.

vu84v2

Valpo is now 6th - passed by Pitt and Kansas.

I will make an honest comment that many here will hate (and note that I did vote for Valpo and hope Valpo wins this contest).  I have been to many Valpo games and I have been to many Kansas games.  While I like how much the student section has developed over the years at Valpo, there is no way that it is better than the Kansas student section.

a3uge

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 08, 2013, 12:42:45 PM
Valpo is now 6th - passed by Pitt and Kansas.

I will make an honest comment that many here will hate (and note that I did vote for Valpo and hope Valpo wins this contest).  I have been to many Valpo games and I have been to many Kansas games.  While I like how much the student section has developed over the years at Valpo, there is no way that it is better than the Kansas student section.

There's also a difference between a large state school with 29,462 students and a small private college of 4,061 students. They have 25,403 more students to pull from, and 5335 more students graduating each year to potentially show up at their games as alumni and 5335 more students to donate large sums of money to their athletic programs. I'm happy with where the student section is at compared to the rest of the Horizon... UWM literally had a student section of 6 people the game this year vs Valpo.

agibson

Fun to see it in the local paper - but I hope that generates more votes for VU than it does for IU or Purdue!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on February 08, 2013, 09:56:13 AMthere was some sort of an inter-denominational discussion opposite the game on Tuesday with the Chapel, St. T's

whaaat?  Fr. Kevin would never do that!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2013, 12:33:54 PM

Indeed, his name wasn't mentioned.  (For the uninitiated - it's not that Father Kevin has some beef with interdenominational discussion.  Rather the opposite.  But he _does_ seem to be a pretty serious fan of VU athletics, and as I understand it even has a background in cheerleading.) 

Their staff seems to be getting pretty big these days.

http://saintt.com/staff.asp

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on February 09, 2013, 12:44:40 PMit even has a background in cheerleading

Pretty sure Fr.'s a "he" ;)

Yes--he was a cheerleader at Evansville!  Bet HE would like to see them in the HL too!!! :)

Thanks for posting that link.  Used to play there / cut the grass and all kinds of things.  Good faces, good people.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

holding steady in 6th for now. keep voting!

govalpogo

Gotta stay in the top 8!  Keep voting and sharing!

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

KL31NY

Recent Torch op/ed about fan support.
QuoteKudos to VU fan base

Kelli Wosick

A major part of any college experience, in my opinion, is going to a sporting event and cheering on your home team. Whether you enjoy sports or not, when you are at an exciting game, it is hard to not start cheering along with the rest of the crowd and support your school.

Personally, I believe the crowd at a basketball game is the best, because throughout the entire game everyone is cheering and standing up, clapping and shouting out to the players. Basketball games, as well as other Valparaiso University sporting events, are filled with school spirit and energy, so it is no wonder VU was nominated for the Naismith Student Section of the Year Award.

In honor of our school being nominated for this award I want to give a shout out to everyone on campus, because you essentially make up the student section of any sporting event. For those of you who wear crazy outfits, paint your chests and start all the chanting at games, props to you. I especially want to call out all the fans who headed up to the Milwaukee game on the fan bus a few weeks back. Our student section of about 50 students out-cheered Milwaukee's entire arena of fans. That is some true dedication and school spirit right there.

As an athlete, I know just how important a cheering crowd can be, which is why it is important we keep going to sporting events and supporting all of the athletes here at VU. Fans are what get the athletes pumped to play, and what keeps them motivated throughout the entire game, because no one wants to lose when you have a whole stadium of people rooting for you.

So, for all of you who religiously attend VU sporting events, keep it up, and for those of you who rarely attend or have yet to experience one, get out there. College sports are intense, exciting and leave you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire game. As students, you probably know some of the athletes, so it is much more entertaining because you can see your friends at their best, doing what they love most.

VU's school spirit has been recognized as one of the best in the country and we must continue to live up to this label. This means keep going to sport events and cheer as much as possible. No, you do not have to dress up in a weird outfit or body surf among the crowd, but go out in school colors and show your support. The athletes and other fans will appreciate all the spirit we have here.
I put a couple bolds within the story for the things that caught my eye. I'd rather say thanks to all that are attending instead just including all the students, since we clearly don't have 4000 student fans coming to games. Also, I don't think "call out" is the best word choice for the Milwaukee section. "Call out" usually has a negative connotation, not a positive one like is used her. What's good though is that she's clearly giving some recognition where it is deserved.

Nitpicking aside, it's fun to see an op/ed about fan support positives instead of recent stories I've seen and even written for the Torch about the lack of student fans.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

bbtds

Quote from: KL31NY on February 12, 2013, 11:42:40 AMNitpicking aside, it's fun to see an op/ed about fan support positives instead of recent stories I've seen and even written for the Torch about the lack of student fans.

I wholeheartly concur.  It really is great to see the Torch complement the students instead of blasting them for non-attendance.

agibson

Quote from: KL31NY on February 12, 2013, 11:42:40 AMI'd rather say thanks to all that are attending instead just including all the students

Writing in the Torch, I suppose she's expecting a student audience.

A nice piece!

KL31NY

My fault for not being clearer. I meant all the students that are attending versus complementing all the students in general.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

covufan

Down to 9th.  We need to be in top 8!!!