• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/16/13 Valpo home to UDM

Started by talksalot, February 12, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Actually, I was going to wait until WH hit the "legend" mark and then post something like

but last time i posted funny images images I thought were funny it wasn't really understood, so thanks for saving me that :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusadermoe

The students might still be waiting for the big Butler game. 

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on February 14, 2013, 06:09:16 PM
Maybe Section EE can answer this, but how many rows (what letter does it end at) in the upper deck.  I can't find a seat by seat chart so can't really tell how many tickets have been sold, but to get four together in CC (presumably the best seats--center court, you have to go up to row SS.

You can get the map if you click on the sections, in the graphic at
http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/performanceSearch.jsp?performance_id=1656602&cobrand=valpo
(Detroit game, or any game, default choice of selecting by "seating chart").

It goes to ZZ, for 24 rows (no II, no OO).

Maybe not too many have sold in BB or DD in the last ten hours.  But, CC continues to fill in.

And, in the 24 hours before that, all three mezzanine sections were filling it.

I don't think it'll sell out in advance (indeed, I'm rather hoping I can get a seat in AA walk-up).  But, I won't be at all surprised if it's recorded as a sell out on the day of.

justducky

Quote from: agibson on February 14, 2013, 12:22:42 PMI'm not quite sure what they mean by "pompous hayseeds".  It as an evocative phrase - I'll give them that.  I'm not sure I've ever been compared to some sort of country bumpkin before!  Perhaps it's a part of the Hoosier experience that I should get used to.
As one of the few dirt under the nails true nothwest Indiana "country bumkins" on this message board, I kind of resent being lumped in with all you white collar, multiple degree types. This guilt by association could unnecessarily give all of us true "hayseeds" a bad name. :)

What does "pompous" mean anyway?  ???

vu72

Quote from: agibson on February 14, 2013, 08:30:12 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 14, 2013, 06:09:16 PM
Maybe Section EE can answer this, but how many rows (what letter does it end at) in the upper deck.  I can't find a seat by seat chart so can't really tell how many tickets have been sold, but to get four together in CC (presumably the best seats--center court, you have to go up to row SS.

You can get the map if you click on the sections, in the graphic at
http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/performanceSearch.jsp?performance_id=1656602&cobrand=valpo
(Detroit game, or any game, default choice of selecting by "seating chart").

It goes to ZZ, for 24 rows (no II, no OO).

Maybe not too many have sold in BB or DD in the last ten hours.  But, CC continues to fill in.

And, in the 24 hours before that, all three mezzanine sections were filling it.

I don't think it'll sell out in advance (indeed, I'm rather hoping I can get a seat in AA walk-up).  But, I won't be at all surprised if it's recorded as a sell out on the day of.

Thanks!  I knew there was a way.  I count them up and give a full report in the am!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

i do have to give the guy props for correct usage and spelling of the word "dudgeon" (no, I won't make a "dragon" pun here). 

it must be that "pathfinder" guy who's always on here.  wonder what his SN on their board is..."pathfound"?  "capomustdie"?  "carlosbriggs02"?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

The latest award for Ryan and a great interview here:

Broekhoff Interview on Vimeo
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Heavens, a few hyper-fanatical Titan fans hate us more than anything in the world.  You could say the same thing about a few hyper-fanatical ORU fans back in the day.

If those few fans think we're not used to this, they're crazy.  Meanwhile, I'm going to guess that the majority of fans over there are far more rational.

For the record, the only anger I have is for the vandals from last March, whoever the hell they are.  My reaction to the showboating and the rubbing salt in the wound is not anger but disappointment.  I'll leave anger to Matt Kenney, Erik Buggs, Ryan Broekhoff, Kevin Van Wijk, Bryce Drew, and anybody else who chooses to be.  They were the ones that got punked on National TV.

My comment has always been this: why give other teams reason to hate you for very little return.  Ray-Ray, you engaged in a high-risk, low-reward tactic last March.  What, 70-50 with an exclamation-point, look-at-me dunk is somehow worth more in the grand scheme of things than a 68-50 respectful beating that brings mostly expressions of grudging admiration?  Really???  For one moment of pure ecstasy that is now gone, you bought yourself a year or two of animosity likely to play out on the court.  Yeah, that sounds like a great trade to me.  Meanwhile the HL streak of 7 straight years with at least one NCAA win is over without much more than a whimper.  I don't blame you for losing to Kansas, but forgive me for thinking you were still so hyped up over winning the tourney that you weren't quite ready to take on the Jayhawks (mentally, at least).

P.S. The dunk wasn't even shown on TV, so you can't watch it over and over again and revel in it.  Even ESPN's cameraman was expecting the respectful handshake line to begin.  In short, it was what we like to call a "cheap thrill".

P.P.S. The one thing that worries me is that he might think he's getting more reward out of it: he *needs* enemies, and he *thrives* on being the bad guy.  And they might continue to be a handful and a half.  They might figure out whatever it was that got them all discombobulated in January.  And you can bet they're going to take out their aggression on Bobby whenever they see an opportunity to.  They have succeeded in casting themselves as the victim, and there's no guarantee that isn't the fuel they need.  Nick Minnerath is a beast, by the way.  It's not my thing to rank players, but he's scary.  In short, I have no idea what's going to happen on Saturday.  I only know I will be there to see it.  I do feel confident that the Crusaders will be prepared for the challenge both Saturday and in March.

valpo84

Isn't Bryce the best player in Indiana college history.... (SI) and we haven't even picked on Ray Sr lately.

Can't wait to see this one in person Saturday.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

oklahomamick

An interesting article from the Detroit newspaper regarding the Catholic 7 and UMD's desire to join.  Of course it mentions Valpo and also has quotes from Ray Sr. 

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130215/OPINION03/302150339/-Catholic-Seven-move-would-benefit-Detroit-resources-lacking?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

CRUSADERS!!!

KL31NY

I'd just like to comment very quickly on this whole thread...

I love how we still have more than 24 hours til game time and we've got five pages going on six pages in this thread. Love the quantity and quality of discussion thus far!

Gonna be hanging out in Valpo today. Wish I could stay for the game but I have work Saturday afternoon. I'll be watching on ESPN2 and cheering my best. See the rest of you in the chat room! 219 > 313
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vuweathernerd

this thread is why i love this board. and i'm friggin pumped for this game. trying to talk typhoon into coming over and watching it, but we'll see. i'll be watching regardless.

as for that detroit fan's post, i can see where they might be coming from with some of it. i do wonder sometimes if we aren't a little bit 'holier than thou' in our mentality. perhaps even slightly hypocritical. the students love running up the score. we used to get pissed when we didn't break 100, even if we were playing someone like st. joes or purdue cal and won by 35. as for the poy comments - he's got no beef. nobody in their right mind is saying jr's better than rowdy this year. except maybe sr to inflate his kid's ego. last year, the comparison was closer - this year those critics have no ammo.

now for the game itself - gonna be back and forth, and physical as hell. cheap shots may well be the norm instead of the exception, and possibly on both sides. refs are gonna need to understand the recent history between these two. call it tight, and don't be afraid to use the technical if necessary. detroit's gonna be looking for some revenge after choking away their massive lead and losing at their place, but we've got better ft shooters, and in the end, i'm looking for about a 10 point win on the strength of valpo fts closing it out. valpo 84-75

valpotx

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 15, 2013, 06:56:52 AM
An interesting article from the Detroit newspaper regarding the Catholic 7 and UMD's desire to join.  Of course it mentions Valpo and also has quotes from Ray Sr. 

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130215/OPINION03/302150339/-Catholic-Seven-move-would-benefit-Detroit-resources-lacking?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

I would have to say that Valparaiso has more name recognition than the University of Detroit on a national scale.  Even though their school has 'Detroit' in it, most anyone I speak to has no clue that there is a university named after the city.  They at least know of Valpo and our 'Shot,' if they know nothing else.

In regards to the C-7, HAHAHAHAHA, Detroit, you have to do something first, and you haven't in YEARS!  This writer is just stupid: 'One phone call is all it takes to change the Titans?'  Is he just trying to fill the page?  One phone call and these schools LAUGH at you as well.

"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2013, 09:56:03 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 15, 2013, 06:56:52 AM

I would have to say that Valparaiso has more name recognition than the University of Detroit on a national scale.  Even though their school has 'Detroit' in it, most anyone I speak to has no clue that there is a university named after the city.  They at least know of Valpo and our 'Shot,' if they know nothing else.

In regards to the C-7, HAHAHAHAHA, Detroit, you have to do something first, and you haven't in YEARS!  This writer is just stupid: 'One phone call is all it takes to change the Titans?'  Is he just trying to fill the page?  One phone call and these schools LAUGH at you as well.

The Catholics did a very good job of grabing the city name for their universities.  St. Louis, Detroit, Dallas, San Francisco, San Diego, Boston, Dayton, etc., etc. etc.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2013, 09:56:03 AMIn regards to the C-7, HAHAHAHAHA, Detroit, you have to do something first, and you haven't in YEARS!  This writer is just stupid: 'One phone call is all it takes to change the Titans?'  Is he just trying to fill the page?  One phone call and these schools LAUGH at you as well.

I wasn't quite sure what he meant.  I assumed _not_ a phone call _from_ Detroit. 

Maybe one phone call from the proto-commissioner of the C-7?

One phone call from a wealthy donor to endow the basketball program enough to take it to that hypothetical next level?

valporun

wh, on your trek to 1,000 posts, be careful that someone like motowntitan doesn't come along, and put in a flagrant foul on your quest for that "slam" post in this thread.  :lol: :thumbsup:

In terms of the article, Detroit, as a market, would be a fit in the C7, based more on religious qualification (certainly not values/morals/ethics), but after Jr. leaves, what do the Titans have as basketball pull to get excited about playing Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, St. John's, and the leftovers of the "Conference Formerly Known as 'Relevant only during Conference Tournament Week', the Big Least"? I don't see anything about Detroit Titan basketball post-Ray Jr. that screams deserving of a spot in a conference with a big boy table. Honestly, will Detroit have anything worthy of being in the C7, as more than the doormat in 5 years? Think about it, Valpo left the Summit League for monetary purposes, not because we felt that we were better than everyone else. Detroit is getting caught up in a "Butler Complex" right now, where they think they'll be the next Butler, but they don't exactly have the name or ability to be seen outside of the greater Detroit area, if the greater Detroit area is even looking...

a3uge

Detroit seems too unstable for an immediate invitation to the C7. Their best player is leaving this year (or at least after next year), and it's not like they have an NBA caliber player in the works. They have a new AD who may or may not get Sr out the door, and assistants have been dropping out of the program. They aren't dominating Horizon League play (this year, or any previous year) in a way that Butler did.

But maybe the C7 is looking a just big markets, and they hope that a C7 program in itself will drive recruits to Detroit. I'm not quite buying it.

And no, I'm not arguing Valpo should ever get invited to this C7.

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 14, 2013, 06:44:33 PMlook, dude, i'm sorry you're not in the starting five.  but you're the first off the bench, although with your work updating the opponent's scoreboard, and HC's relative lack of performance lately, you're just 5 posts away from a starter's spot.  wh is in the 7-man rotation, and after that, it's
--valpopal
--weathernerd
--Stl
--yours truly
--covufan is the last of the 13 scholarship players. 

then the walk-ons would start with milanmiracle, which...anyone seen him lately?
Just got a return PM from milan to assure us that he is fine, is staying in top shape, and will be ready to rejoin the team just as soon as he gets a chance to catch his breath.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: justducky on February 15, 2013, 12:49:29 PMJust got a return PM from milan to assure us that he is fine, is staying in top shape, and will be ready to rejoin the team just as soon as he gets a chance to catch his breath.

Oh good to know. He'll be back up to game-speed in no time.

And bbtds is just one post behind HC now for top 5.  Like Bryce--we keep 'em guessing as to who the starting 5'll be :)

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 12, 2013, 08:52:17 PMI wonder if they'll do anything for faculty+staff+students, like they used to do with the Butler games - giving out printed tickets in advance, instead of just walking in.

Sounds like it's only slightly special.  No upgrades or discounts, like I guess are available for other games.  But, it's just walk up and show your ID for sections AA and EE - as it is for other games.  (For Butler they would print and distribute tickets in advance for Section AA and EE.)

Looks like advanced ticket sales, overall, are slowing down a bit.  Those front court seats did go.  A small block in section A (behind the Crusader bench) opened up.  A few other singles downstairs - otherwise you're well up in the mezzanine in BB, CC, or DD. 

Seems like there will likely be a couple of hundred tickets for sale at the door - we'll see.  Hopefully, by game time, a full house!  I expect it will be.

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 15, 2013, 02:20:42 PMAnd bbtds is just one post behind HC now for top 5.  Like Bryce--we keep 'em guessing as to who the starting 5'll be :)

I hadn't checked _those_ stats in ages.  I'm pleased to see TX has me beat by a comfortable margin - and with baseball season just getting started.

I can handle top 5 or top 10.  Number one overall?  I think I'd be pretty nervous.

valpotx

I apparently just get on and post a bunch, and then sign-off.  I'm not even in the top 10 for time online
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Just checked and there are 6 seats available in the lower level, all individual.  Upper deck has 427 available but they have EE and AA listed as unavailable but we know that isn't true.  They may be the elast attractive but still I'm going to guess another 200 in each for roughly 850 seats to be filled.

HC

Got my Internet finally back at e new house! Thinking about giving away a piece of the old ARC court...what do you guys think?

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 15, 2013, 02:20:42 PM
Quote from: justducky on February 15, 2013, 12:49:29 PMJust got a return PM from milan to assure us that he is fine, is staying in top shape, and will be ready to rejoin the team just as soon as he gets a chance to catch his breath.

Oh good to know. He'll be back up to game-speed in no time.

And bbtds is just one post behind HC now for top 5.  Like Bryce--we keep 'em guessing as to who the starting 5'll be :)

I kind of liked coming in off the bench as the 6th man and sparking the team.  Oh, shoot, this means I might be in the starting line-up now.  ;)

Hold the presses. HC has posted just above this post,  :thumbsup: so thank God I'm still the 6th man.