• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

attendance for Valpo games...

Started by vu72, February 19, 2013, 09:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Sounds like they are copying another's idea  :).  There have been several The Library bars around the nation over the last decade: Dallas, Chicago, etc.  It is a different name, but if they have books to stare at all over, it has been done on a larger scale  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

"Stacks" Library bar sounds like something straight out of the show Bar Rescue.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Looks like about 601 seats remaining in the mezzanine, almost all in EE and AA.  For a 72% sold out mezzanine, and a house that's about 88% sold.

Hopefully a walk-up crowd takes the rest.  Shouldn't be too hard.

truth219

This is just something I've thought about and I know its impossible, but if a new arc was built off campus would that increase attendance. For instance, by where the newer holiday inn express is by 49. Sometimes I wonder if turn out is poor because people simply don't know where the arc is. That may sound dumb but I'm sure its possible.

Kyle321n

Quote from: truth219 on March 12, 2013, 12:57:46 PMThis is just something I've thought about and I know its impossible, but if a new arc was built off campus would that increase attendance. For instance, by where the newer holiday inn express is by 49. Sometimes I wonder if turn out is poor because people simply don't know where the arc is. That may sound dumb but I'm sure its possible.

Then the students wouldn't show... nope can't use that argument I guess.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

truth219

I'm sure vline or even the university would provide a shuttle bus.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: truth219 on March 12, 2013, 01:12:17 PMI'm sure vline or even the university would provide a shuttle bus.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't you the guy that doesn't want to hear excuses from students as to why they can't come?

And you want to give them a really good one?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

truth219

I didn't have the students in mind when I made this comment, I was thinking about the public. Sorry should have stated that, but if the students didn't come I could understand

vuweathernerd

milwaukee had a similar deal when they played at us cellular off campus in downtown milwaukee. and it didn't do crap for them most of the time.

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 12, 2013, 12:27:06 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2013, 11:38:56 AMit has been done on a larger scale

I was actually speaking to the chain of bars known as The Library being fairly widespread, not making another Texas comment  ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 12, 2013, 01:41:04 PM
milwaukee had a similar deal when they played at us cellular off campus in downtown milwaukee. and it didn't do crap for them most of the time.

They have the same student turnout now that they moved back on campus - roughly 5 students per game. Except now no community goes to the games. The parking is terrible down there and looking for the place is like doing a Highlights Magazine picture puzzle.

I guess bringing up Milwaukee keeps attendance in perspective. In a city of 31,730 people and a school of 2,875 undergrads, we're able to consistently outdraw a school of 25,271 undergrads in a city of 594,833 people. As for the student section - we're the only team in the conference that has a student section of over 20 people on a consistent basis. 17k students go to Wight State and Cleveland State, but there's more students pictured in the creepy mural behind the basket than the other side of the court. The only time an HL school student seemingly starts to care about their team is if their team is in the conference tournament. It's only after then that they're able to bring 1% of their student population to the game.

But hey, I guess that's more #CommuterSchoolProblems than anything.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 12, 2013, 03:08:47 PM17k students go to Wight State

come on, man, that's not very creative.  dayton chants that at us all the time.  i thought vaalpo students were more creative than that.

by now, though, that's water off a yak's back.

;)

(great post, btw)

truth219

Hope a lot of walk ups come out tonight section ee has a lot of seats available

WSU85

Actually 2/3rds of Wright State freshman live on campus and half of the student body lives on or near campus.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 12, 2013, 03:08:47 PMthere's more students pictured in the creepy mural behind the basket than the other side of the court.

this...if ValpoHoops would permit it...i would induct into the new VUFZ Clause Hall of Fame, right after we add the Sentence addition.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 12, 2013, 04:18:06 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 12, 2013, 03:08:47 PMthere's more students pictured in the creepy mural behind the basket than the other side of the court.

this...if ValpoHoops would permit it...i would induct into the new VUFZ Clause Hall of Fame, right after we add the Sentence addition.

Hey! Don't bring me into this or you're banned for 37 hours!  :rotfl: :lol:

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 12, 2013, 04:20:43 PMHey! Don't bring me into this or you're banned for 37 hours!

:)  please do note that I said AFTER we build the SENTENCE HoF for your induction :)

milanmiracle

This is so simple boys and girls...start making the NCAA's every year and have an NBA player on your roster and attendance will improve.  ;D
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

okinawatyphoon

The championship game has been called a "sellout." Can anyone confirm? It looked pretty full from TV.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpotx

The game stats on our website have 4,457...it sure looked like a sellout from the camera angles though
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

Here's what it looked like to me. About 20 spots open in AA, 50 in EE, and 50 in the WSU student section. There were about 40 people standing on the track and pretty much every other seat was taken.

sliman

Based on the number of empty rows toward the top of AA and EE and scattered empty seats elsewhere, including in the Wright State student area, plus seating taken for media and bands, I think the announced attendance is pretty accurate.  Since everyone paid, the count should be much more accurate than our regular home games where student/faculty passes make it necessary to estimate attendance.

humbleopinion

Dragging up a very old thread...

I attended the football game yesterday, the first game that I have attended in years.  I was impressed by the number of students who were in the stands to watch a team that had mustered only one victory this season. I hope that this is a harbinger for students' willingness to show up for basketball.

BTW, it was a fun game to watch.
Beamin' Beacons