• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Tourney

Started by oklahomamick, February 20, 2013, 11:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

Quote from: FWalum on March 10, 2013, 08:58:23 PM
I have a little bone to pick with the league or whomever is responsible.  Why is it the we sometimes get access to postgame news conferences and other time we don't.(most often it falls into the "don't" category)  I am sure that all of them are recorded so why not give us access?  I really enjoy hearing the coaches' and player's responses to the media questions.  In my opinion this would really round out the fan's media experience and allow them to "bond" more closely to each team's players and maybe even the coaching staff.  Would have loved to see the press conferences after both the WSU UDM and the UWGB VU games.

Totally agree!!!    I look after every game.   This game would be great to see the post game....

wh

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 10, 2013, 07:04:32 PM
Math time!!

ARC Total     5000
AA/EE were down 300+ each     -600
BB/DD were down 150+each     -300
Student Sec. was down 300+     -300
F/J down 50+ each     -100
A/E down 50+ each     -100
H was down 100 for media     -100

That brings us down to 3500 right there, and these are conservative numbers. Tickets for AA/EE weren't for sale, so some folks moved to there from way up in the other sections.

Personally, I don't care if there were 500 or 5000, the crowd got into the game when they needed and the atmosphere was great from courtside.

The announced attendance of the YSU (senior night) game was 3410.  Now look at the pictures of the crowd (or lack of) in the upper deck in valpopal's pictures from that game. 

http://photography226.wordpress.com

That's what a crowd 2000 short of capacity looks like. 

As to last night, I don't know where you got your numbers for the lower deck, but it was completely sold out (less about 6 tickets) according to Ticket Central.  It also looked sold out.  As someone else pointed out, the additional student bleachers on the east end would more than make up for the seats lost for the media.  As of yesterday morning there were 520 unsold seats in BB, CC and DD.   Game time sales would have lowered that number, and by looking at the crowd in those sections it did.  As to AA and EE, they were not empty - they were about a fourth to a third full.  And - as someone also accurately pointed out, you could barely find anyone in a red shirt after Detroit lost, which had they stayed would have added to a fuller look.

Unlike the regular season, getting an accurate count does have significance when it pertains to the highest profile annual event the Horizon League holds. 

truth219

I believe the number from the box score

ValpoHoops

I was at the YSU game too. I think 3400 for that game was a joke. If it was 2400 we were lucky. Looking through those pictures, there would have to be 1200 people in the mezz for 3400 to be real, and that's only if every single seat in the lower bowl was full, and they aren't...That's not 1200 up there if they'd all brought a friend.

The upper level seats almost 3000 people. My estimate for Saturday is that it was 2/3 full...I don't think that's at all off the mark. (I'm not talking tickets, I'm talking butts in seats). Sure, we might have had more tickets sold, but Detroit fans (and maybe some WSU, too) left...maybe thats 500 tickets that weren't in the arena. That would have made a HUGE difference in what the upper levels looked like.

Since you said its more important to get the HL games right...somehow, I think the HL and Valpo know that too...and they probably had it pretty close...you know, this is something they do for a living.

And, honestly (not directed at you, wh), this game is done. The crowd was good, into the game, etc. Lets make sure there's no discussion about it Tuesday.

wh

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 10, 2013, 10:12:51 PM
I was at the YSU game too. I think 3400 for that game was a joke. If it was 2400 we were lucky. Looking through those pictures, there would have to be 1200 people in the mezz for 3400 to be real, and that's only if every single seat in the lower bowl was full, and they aren't...That's not 1200 up there if they'd all brought a friend.

The upper level seats almost 3000 people. My estimate for Saturday is that it was 2/3 full...I don't think that's at all off the mark. (I'm not talking tickets, I'm talking butts in seats). Sure, we might have had more tickets sold, but Detroit fans (and maybe some WSU, too) left...maybe thats 500 tickets that weren't in the arena. That would have made a HUGE difference in what the upper levels looked like.

Since you said its more important to get the HL games right...somehow, I think the HL and Valpo know that too...and they probably had it pretty close...you know, this is something they do for a living.

And, honestly (not directed at you, wh), this game is done. The crowd was good, into the game, etc. Lets make sure there's no discussion about it Tuesday.

So we should trust the same VU athletic dept. employees that reported an attendance figure for the YSU game that you just called a "joke."  The same people that we all know haven't been able to accurately count a game crowd since the ARC opened.  I know it's probably trivial, but I've always had a hard time lowering my expectations enough to accept that a group of people that as you say "do this for a living" can't get the simplest of tasks right. 

The fact that Tuesday's game is nowhere close to being a sellout is an indictment of both the Valparaiso community and Valparaiso University marketing. 

ValpoHoops

Quote from: wh on March 10, 2013, 10:31:16 PM

The fact that Tuesday's game is nowhere close to being a sellout is an indictment of both the Valparaiso community and Valparaiso University marketing. 

We agree here...once we lost to Detroit there are many in te community that get "offended" that we should lose and waste their time.

I think, honestly, there were probably about 3700-4000 tickets sold for Saturday (not counting anything maybe on AA or EE). So when you looked at tickets, it looks pretty full. Once people either left, don't show or spread into AA and EE it definitely thinned out. By the time our game got going I think 3200 was probably pretty close to how many people were actually in the arena. (Which, btw I agree is pitiful)

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 10, 2013, 10:31:16 PMThe fact that Tuesday's game is nowhere close to being a sellout is an indictment of both the Valparaiso community and Valparaiso University marketing. 

Yeah, I mean tickets have been on sale for almost 24 hours now (or probably at least 12? 16?) and they've only sold 75% of them.  They should all be fired.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: wh on March 10, 2013, 10:31:16 PM
Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 10, 2013, 10:12:51 PM

So we should trust the same VU athletic dept. employees that reported an attendance figure for the YSU game that you just called a "joke."  The same people that we all know haven't been able to accurately count a game crowd since the ARC opened.  I know it's probably trivial, but I've always had a hard time lowering my expectations enough to accept that a group of people that as you say "do this for a living" can't get the simplest of tasks right. 

You're about one post away from the woodshed.  You don't argue with a mod.

ValpoHoops

I think the lesson here is to never trust the attendance figure in a box score unless you can either count them yourself or its a total sellout.

truth219

Valpo doesn't market their team for sh*t. They do however market the milk deal at family express gas stations great. You would think every family express in the region would have valpo posters up

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: truth219 on March 10, 2013, 10:52:00 PM
Valpo doesn't market their team for sh*t. They do however market the milk deal at family express gas stations great. You would think every family express in the region would have valpo posters up

Classy post.

truth219

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 10, 2013, 10:31:16 PMThe fact that Tuesday's game is nowhere close to being a sellout is an indictment of both the Valparaiso community and Valparaiso University marketing. 
Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 10, 2013, 10:44:06 PMValpo doesn't market their team for sh*t.
The first step in turning people into new fans is to get them into the ARC to witness a great team. This past year we knew we would have one of our best teams ever but what did we do to try to capitalize on that success? All I've seen is a wasted opportunity to expand the northwest Indiana fan base.

As for wh indicting "Valpo University Marketing" is there somebody that actually handles those responsibilities? I am pretty sure that Cindy is not paid to come up with new ARC filling concepts and promotions. If no such individual exists is there someone who might listen to a board thinktank of ideas and suggestions? Other than a solid tournament run (which you can never count on) how do you stop and reverse the ongoing decline in attendance?

valpopal

On the subject of attendance and crowd enthusiasm, although the place wasn't completely full (partly because hardly any Detroit fans stayed for game two), the noise level and energy were extremely high. I will be surprised if the crowd is any larger, if as large, for the championship game since it is midweek. But I hope the energy level is as high. Here are some of my photos that also give a bit of an indication to the size or enthusiasm of  the crowd.

SadersofthelostArc

I'd be glad to be a part of that committee.

bbtds

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on March 11, 2013, 08:54:37 AM
I'd be glad to be a part of that committee.
The itty bitty attendance committee?

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

detroit

Greeting from Detroit, the team you love to hate. Congrats on winning, The aussie is a hell of a player. I think everyone really wanted to see the rematch... you guys and us. Wright State is a butt ugly team to watch or play against. Hard to believe the beat us, so watch out they are seemingly experts on slowing the game to a torturous level of play and are well coached, as you guys are. If Detroit was playing you would have a sold out crowd watching  MacCallum, Minnerath et al take you apart and send you back to the NIT. However, that unfortunately did not happen   :'(  and I wish you the best in defeating Wright State so we have at least a chance at taking your given spot in the NIT.

ncatprof

If everyone wanted to see a rematch, why was everyone cheering for WSU?  Seemed kind of like a home game for the Raiders, especially at the end.  And, of course as a Raider fan I'm biased, but I've come to like their style of play.  Yes, it's a limited-possessions kind of offense, but there's plenty of movement with and away from the ball.  I was watching a game yesterday where the players were pretty much standing around until the ball came to them, then it was a one-on-one drill --bored me silly.

detroit

Kind of funny....we have a Raider fan defending to a Detroit fan on a Valpo fan board why they should like the Raiders. Hey I am not being a smart ass, I am just saying Detroit is a fun team to watch play with their athletic players from top to bottom. Valpo is a skilled and smart team, Detroit and Valpo are just really fun to watch for basketball fans. End of Story, Valpo takes is 74-61 according to me :). But good luck Raider fan.

ncatprof

Just chiming in now and then since there's not much activity on RaiderRoundball -- I also appreciate the fact that there's not much smack talk over here!  Seriously -- looking forward to a good game tomorrow, and there's (obviously) no doubt I'll be rooting for an underdog...again.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 10, 2013, 10:44:06 PM
I think the lesson here is to never trust the attendance figure in a box score unless you can either count them yourself or its a total sellout.

Actually I think the lesson here is that we need a new arena--one that provides a decent seating configuration for ticket purchases so that fans can become enticed to view games instead of tap-dancing around a facility that is limiting purchases to seating areas that are largely rectangular in nature.  Some people don't want to pay 15.00 to watch a game in a box, even when the local team is in the HL tournament.

It is interesting to note that someone posted a video of Ryan's shot from behind the basket in another thread.  What an amazing viewpoint. What a great incidental and word of mouth sports marketing item. Of course, a prospective fan can't actually purchase seats in those areas for most games. Think about that for a moment.

wh

I'll stay out of the WSU/Det game debate.  I will say that high quality competition was on proud display at the ARC on Sat.  So much talent, excellent coaching, forcing tempo, GB's size, buzzer-beating shots, possible future NBA players - those games had it all.  HL basketball is great and I hope we can keep it together for years to come! 

justducky

Quote from: ncatprof on March 11, 2013, 12:41:04 PM
Just chiming in now and then since there's not much activity on RaiderRoundball -- I also appreciate the fact that there's not much smack talk over here!  Seriously -- looking forward to a good game tomorrow, and there's (obviously) no doubt I'll be rooting for an underdog...again.
In order to get Raider fans up here by the busload so that the ARC will be filled to capacity I think somebody from here needs to log in at RaiderRoundBall and say something that is deliberately stupid, inflammatory, and insulting. Where did SadersofthelostARC go? I think we have a job for him. ;)

vu72

Quote from: justducky on March 11, 2013, 01:00:53 AM
Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 10, 2013, 10:44:06 PMValpo doesn't market their team for sh*t.
The first step in turning people into new fans is to get them into the ARC to witness a great team. This past year we knew we would have one of our best teams ever but what did we do to try to capitalize on that success? All I've seen is a wasted opportunity to expand the northwest Indiana fan base.

As for wh indicting "Valpo University Marketing" is there somebody that actually handles those responsibilities? I am pretty sure that Cindy is not paid to come up with new ARC filling concepts and promotions. If no such individual exists is there someone who might listen to a board thinktank of ideas and suggestions? Other than a solid tournament run (which you can never count on) how do you stop and reverse the ongoing decline in attendance?

Anne Van Keppel
Associate Director of Athletics
Marketing and Constituent Support
219-464-6130
Anne.VanKeppel@valpo.edu

Fred Villarruel
Director of Marketing for Athletics
219-464-6757
Fred.Villarruel@valpo.edu

Renee Turpa
Group Sales Coordinator
219-464-6931
Renee.Turpa@valpo.edu
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015