• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo - Youngstown Game Thread - 2/26

Started by talksalot, February 21, 2013, 06:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 25, 2013, 06:00:42 AMDown here in Southwest Florida, we have come up with a bunch of creative ways to avoid calling people "old".
You must be a blue hair.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 25, 2013, 03:46:22 PMBut by all means, I'm always entertained by the celebration of public intoxication.

Totally agree with this sentiment. When is it good to celebrate public intoxication? It's when other people (including older folks) acknowledge that younger people "in the prime of their youth" will be getting drunk in public that younger people get the idea that it's okay and then it gets out of hand so easily.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on February 25, 2013, 04:07:41 PMYou must be a blue hair.

Nope, and I'll go bald before I go grey.

I'm just a young guy making bank off of all these kindly old souls.

Not unlike

Although not a young guy in the prime of my youth, perhaps :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: a3uge on February 25, 2013, 10:29:00 AM
Quote from: truth219 on February 25, 2013, 08:12:57 AMThese are young adults in the prime of their youth. You honestly don't think every student section in college basketball contains intoxicated students. Its not just basketball, think out football and all that tailgating. This writer seems like a prude...no blood no foul. I don't expect the student section at valpo to live above the influence...keep it up best student section of the year. Football players or not they are young and having fun YOLO

If anything we could use MORE obnoxious football players in the front row yelling at the refs and being ridiculous, instead of creeper Phil in the front row yelling 'WARM UP THE BUS' halfway through the first half and waving his crutches in the air.

Yikes. Is he still there?

KL31NY

Sources close to the situation report: No, he is not. Based on his blog, it seems like he's closer to home now.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

wh

valpotx

With a banged up Eargle, and no Perry, I am going to increase my prediction.  Valpo wins by 16
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Youngstown St  71
Valpo                 87

Smj

Hello all...   

I am VERY disappointed but there is a travel advisory for the areas around Milwaukee and Chicago.   At this point, my plan on attending is about 50/50.

I really feel bad because I wanted to show my support of this senior group.  They deserve it because I have enjoyed watching them play so much.

If I do decide not to attend I will have 3 seats in section C behind the team available.

valpopal

Although there is currently sleet falling in Valpo, the NWI Times has now updated its forecast to a more favorable accumulation prediction of snow, "Winter Storm Could Largely Spare NWI": "A winter storm blowing toward the Chicago area could leave up to 6 inches of snow behind in some areas, but Northwest Indiana may get little more than a dusting...." http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/illinois/meteorologist-winter-storm-could-largely-spare-nwi/article_75f49dbd-7c3e-51a8-bbda-2c9fdec2b3c4.html

vu84v2

From the article, it looks like Perry could possibly try to play given that he participated in some practice.  That would seem somewhat foolish for YSU since he is more critical to them in the conference tournament than this game.

Valpo, in my view, has not historically done well in these  "finish the deal" opportunities.  Certainly the season where they beat Missouri State and then lost the conference title comes to mind.  It would be great to see a solid performance where Valpo confidently wins by 10+ to lock up the conference title.

As far as snow goes, we are getting our second snowstorm of close to a foot today.  Unlike Chicago and Valpo where a foot of snow is an annoyance, everything shuts down in Lawrence for 24-48 hours.  Of course everyone is probably still happy from last night's amazing win at Iowa State.

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valporun

The other part of the problem with the Bracketbuster game against Missouri State....we had 3 games in a matter of 5 days, and if I remember correctly, it was 2 road games of significant travel distance, and the home game with Missouri State, and that hurt us when it mattered most.

In terms of the attendance issues in November thru early January, it is the same as any of the teams in lower conferences. Many of the schools in the NEC, MEAC, MAAC, A-Sun, Big West, and such have to play a lot of road games then because the teams they want to play won't travel, i.e. Syracuse, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Georgetown, because they have the money that we want, so they can draw the big numbers to their arenas, compared to our "penitentiaries", and that adds to our basketball budget. Sometimes you just have to deal with the fact that we're not going to get the big name teams to come to little Valparaiso, Indiana because they can make more money with a sold out home game, than we can with a sold out home game.

Also, overchanging for games that aren't going to make a huge dent in attendance interest doesn't help a program like Valpo. It's essentially like an MLB or NFL team upping the price of tickets, in most cases they do it because the owners want a little more money lining their greased palms, or to give excuse to sign an overpriced free agent that won't be anything more than a distraction in the team chemistry.

vuweathernerd

For those driving to Valpo, be wary of the ice more than the snow. Latest predictions have the area getting an inch or two of snow, but a potentially hazardous amount of sleet. Drive safe and cheer loudly!

agibson

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 26, 2013, 09:51:36 AM
For those driving to Valpo, be wary of the ice more than the snow. Latest predictions have the area getting an inch or two of snow, but a potentially hazardous amount of sleet. Drive safe and cheer loudly!

Seems like a lot will depend on a degree or two of temperature difference.  Despite the hail/sleet this morning, the roads were OK in town.

Hopefully things will be salted ahead of time and the roads will stay wet, not frozen, even if the temperature drops.  I see forecasts now for a period of heavy snow in the next hour or two, and lighter stuff (probably more melting than accumulating, by current temperature forecasts) on through the evening and overnight.

The current forecast seems to be that air temperatures will stay above freezing.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on February 26, 2013, 09:44:06 AMbecause they can make more money with a sold out home game, than we can with a sold out home game

true--heck, WE can make more money being the road team than being the home team, I would imagine at times.

(see:  FB @ YSU)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Went out this morning and promptly fell on my a$$ trying to get to my car. I have a steep driveway covered with ice and water. Side and county roads not so good. Not driving to Valpo today.  :(
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2013, 11:33:34 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 26, 2013, 09:51:36 AMFor those driving to Valpo, be wary of the ice more than the snow. Latest predictions have the area getting an inch or two of snow, but a potentially hazardous amount of sleet. Drive safe and cheer loudly!
Seems like a lot will depend on a degree or two of temperature difference.  Despite the hail/sleet this morning, the roads were OK in town. Hopefully things will be salted ahead of time and the roads will stay wet, not frozen, even if the temperature drops.  I see forecasts now for a period of heavy snow in the next hour or two, and lighter stuff (probably more melting than accumulating, by current temperature forecasts) on through the evening and overnight. The current forecast seems to be that air temperatures will stay above freezing.

This is the current radar map.  I think its insane with how many colors there are.

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

What is that blue and pink stuff?  It looks so weird on a weather map.  I thought that weather maps only had yellow, orange, and red for temperature?  ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Things are tough down here too, tx.  A cold front is coming in with some rain this afternoon, so the overnight low will be only 64!

Smj

Okay... Not making the 3+ hour trip....

I have 3 tickets in section C behind the bench.   I would offer them to a fan....   Any takers?   (don't ask if you are going to try to scalp them.)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2013, 12:02:26 PM
What is that blue and pink stuff?  It looks so weird on a weather map.  I thought that weather maps only had yellow, orange, and red for temperature?  ;D

i'd call you a smart@$$ but personally, those are my favorite colors on a radar map. i'd kill to have thunderstorms in jan/feb like you all down south. i hate north dakota and its 8 months of winter.

valpotx

Our thunderstorms can be pretty crazy looking.  I hear that it has something to do with the heat and precipitation mixing?  We get lightning that lights up the sky with 10-12 bolts at once every so often.  It isn't that vertical lightning, but looks horizontal at times. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

truth219

I need 3 tickets tonight me my wife and son are going to the game