• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo - Youngstown Game Thread - 2/26

Started by talksalot, February 21, 2013, 06:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

From the Twitter world...
Will Haskett ‏@willhaskett
The Kendrick Perry knee injury at YSU sort of sums up their HL season... What could have been.

Valpo win Tues wraps 1 seed "@JoeScalzo1: YSU's Kendrick Perry may miss rest of regular season with knee injury suffered in Wed practice."

Oh man. RT @JoeScalzo1: Breaking: YSU guard Kendrick Perry [may] miss rest of regular season with knee injury he suffered during practice.

Breaking: YSU guard Kendrick Perry will miss rest of regular season with knee injury he suffered during Wednesday's practice.

Sources tell me that YSU's Kendrick Perry will miss the final three games of the regular season with a knee injury

OK... top that for your news of the night!! 

agibson

So, if they lose one more starter, they'll be able to spot us 15 points, and still come back to tie the game?

vu72

When you lose a First team all conference player it is gigantic.  Still, Loyola had lost a first teamer in Avercamp and they gave us a serious run.  It sure will help but sometimes the other players rally to support each other in the face of the loss.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

In addition to the opportunity to clinch the #1 seed in the YSU game, it will also be Senior Night, recognizing a large and excellent class. I had some free time this afternoon, so I put together a slide show from my photos of the seniors that appeared in this forum over the year. I also include below a photo of each senior as a sample. I hope you enjoy: http://celebratingvalposeniors.wordpress.com/

talksalot

valpotx

Without Perry, I really like our odds:

Valpo 77
YSU 64
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

We'll finally get the answer to the question:  will YSU miss Kendrick Perry more than Journey missed Steve Perry?

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 22, 2013, 07:36:38 AM
We'll finally get the answer to the question:  will YSU miss Kendrick Perry more than Journey missed Steve Perry?
Maybe Arnel will suit up for YSU...  He could sing "separate ways" as a senior send off and "wheel in the sky" as a welcome to next years freshman.....  It would be legen........   Wait for it......

(And - I saw Journey a couple months back in Milwaukee and I thought Arnel did a great job...)

dary....

HC

Valpo by 15! Can't wait, Tuesday is going to be a great night.

talksalot

Welllllll... We probably still should practice... I see YST dropped 86 on Central Michigan in the BBuster game, granted, Senior Day...but... they will not roll over for us...They are fighting for a decent seed... Bellin scored 20, Eargle scored 20, Cole with 12 pts and 12 assists, overall 21 of 32 from inside the 3pt range, 9-18 from three... granted, it was the Chippewas, who are now 1-10 on the road and an rippy of 261.

NOW, the good news... Game #30 on the season...

Going back through years... since the ARC opened... we are 12-4 in game #30 on the season...  We have only played that many games 16 times in the past 27 seasons (and only once ['46-'47] before that).  In those 16 games, we are 4-1 at home, 0-2 on the road... and 8-1 on Neutral Courts, the Mid Con Tournament games... We have played the 'guins once in game #30...2008-09, we beat them in the ARC 67-59.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on February 21, 2013, 07:50:46 PM
In addition to the opportunity to clinch the #1 seed in the YSU game, it will also be Senior Night, recognizing a large and excellent class. I had some free time this afternoon, so I put together a slide show from my photos of the seniors that appeared in this forum over the year. I also include below a photo of each senior as a sample. I hope you enjoy: http://celebratingvalposeniors.wordpress.com/

Terrific photography!  I have enjoyed watching these seniors immensely.  I hope they can achieve their ultimate goal - win the HL Tourney and go to the Big Dance.  I can't remember a group more deserving in terms of ability, selflessness and just all around likability.

valpopal

Thanks wh and talksalot for your kind comments on the photos. I don't know if players ever check this forum, and I think I'd sometimes advise them not to do so. However, I hope someone who speaks with the players will pass along the site for the slide show celebrating this senior class, since I think they would enjoy the pictures as well: http://celebratingvalposeniors.wordpress.com/

Smj

Just got my tickets....   Long drive so i am going to need to take the afternoon off....  can't believe it is time to say goodbye to this group of seniors.

valpotx

Quote from: Smj on February 24, 2013, 09:10:28 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 22, 2013, 07:36:38 AM
Maybe Arnel will suit up for YSU...  He could sing "separate ways" as a senior send off and "wheel in the sky" as a welcome to next years freshman.....  It would be legen........   Wait for it......

(And - I saw Journey a couple months back in Milwaukee and I thought Arnel did a great job...)

dary....

I saw them over the summer in Dallas, and agree that it really didn't sound any different.  Amazing job
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Found this piece in the Torch on the student section at the Detroit game: http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_8ae35a8a-7d46-11e2-998a-0019bb30f31a.html

All the reviews on this forum were pretty positive about the student turnout and support. This article, however, concerns some poor behavior, including the following:
QuoteThe presence of a group of intoxicated football players in the front of the student section did nothing but detract from the game experience. This statement is not meant to be a sweeping generalization of football players, but a simple admission of the events in the front part of the Valparaizone last Saturday night and the involvement of members of VU's football team. (Coach Carlson, I am sorry that you have to deal with this, but you should probably advise your guys to win a few more games before they conduct themselves in that manner on national TV.) I will also say it is entirely possible that other members of the Valparaizone were intoxicated on Saturday night – it was simply the presence of certain late arriving people at the front of the section who drew the most attention to themselves (presumably for ESPN's cameras) and displayed dramatic signs of intoxication. How our athletes behave, on and off the field, is a reflection of VU and our athletics program, and such behavior is far from appropriate.
Give the whole piece a read if you have a chance. It covers a plethora of other topics, with the note about the football players standing out. Hope we have a good group of students for Tuesday's big game. So does the writer of the piece.
QuoteAnd finally, Senior Night is this Tuesday. Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 7:05 pm. The final regular season home game in the ARC for seniors Will Bogan, Erik Buggs, Ben Boggs, Matt Kenney, Kevin Van Wijk and Ryan Broekhoff. You can't miss that. Make it happen.

The progress that the Valparizone has made this season is incredible and inspiring. But there is more work to be done. And you are the ones who can get it done.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

LaPorteAveApostle

Down here in Southwest Florida, we have come up with a bunch of creative ways to avoid calling people "old".

(Sidebar:  no one down here gives the pope any flak for retiring at almost 86.  people down here at that age have been retired AT LEAST 25 years, not working at one of the three most difficult jobs in the world.)

We all know Valpo is the oldest team in the country blah blah decrepit blah.

BUT what we haven't made a big enough deal over is that we are the most EXPERIENCED team in the country.  This is measured by what minutes are played by whom.  (We are more than 3 times more experienced than Texas, the least experienced in the country, which describes why they suck.  comical sound effect: kaBONGo! But I digress!)

Poking around on StatSheet (it's like getting caught in a YouTube timewarp if you're a geek) reveals this:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/stattracker/experience/teams

Click "rank" twice to reorder.

We are so far ahead that the gap between us and number 2 (Middle Tenn) is as wide as the gap between #2 and #20.

Anyone else think this bodes well for March?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

truth219

These are young adults in the prime of their youth. You honestly don't think every student section in college basketball contains intoxicated students. Its not just basketball, think out football and all that tailgating. This writer seems like a prude...no blood no foul. I don't expect the student section at valpo to live above the influence...keep it up best student section of the year. Football players or not they are young and having fun YOLO

valpo84

I think there was a snippet on ESPNU Saturday that said our starting five averages 2.5 years as starters which is also tops in D1 hoops. Did I hear that right?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

govalpogo

Gotta get to March first.  Experience didn't help much in the last game against Detroit.  hashtag: bitterness

Although I agree that experience makes a big difference, especially in college basketball.  There is a huge difference between a 22 (or 24 KVW) year old and an 18 year old maturity-wise and that will hopefully play out to our advantage as the season concludes.

vu72

Quote from: valpo84 on February 25, 2013, 09:22:31 AM
I think there was a snippet on ESPNU Saturday that said our starting five averages 2.5 years as starters which is also tops in D1 hoops. Did I hear that right?

Yes you did.  We are the most experienced team in D1 and probably all of college basketball.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: truth219 on February 25, 2013, 08:12:57 AMThese are young adults in the prime of their youth. You honestly don't think every student section in college basketball contains intoxicated students. Its not just basketball, think out football and all that tailgating. This writer seems like a prude...no blood no foul. I don't expect the student section at valpo to live above the influence...keep it up best student section of the year. Football players or not they are young and having fun YOLO

If anything we could use MORE obnoxious football players in the front row yelling at the refs and being ridiculous, instead of creeper Phil in the front row yelling 'WARM UP THE BUS' halfway through the first half and waving his crutches in the air.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on February 25, 2013, 10:23:46 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on February 25, 2013, 09:22:31 AMI think there was a snippet on ESPNU Saturday that said our starting five averages 2.5 years as starters which is also tops in D1 hoops. Did I hear that right?
Yes you did.  We are the most experienced team in D1 and probably all of college basketball.

One experience these seniors have never had that many fans might take for granted is that they have zero experience playing in the NCAA Tourney. Many of us fans who remember that Valpo went to the NCAA tournament several years in a row up to 2004 might forget that fact that just because we have experienced the Big Dance as fans doesn't mean the seniors know anything about how to play in the Big Dance.

Remember these are the seniors that have committed high numbers of turnovers in many games and that is very uncharacteristic of a senior laden team.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Quote from: truth219 on February 25, 2013, 08:12:57 AM
These are young adults in the prime of their youth. You honestly don't think every student section in college basketball contains intoxicated students.
More's the pity.

I assume those drunken students did something to warrant the scrutiny.  I'd have to hear what it was before I join your sentiments.

But by all means, I'm always entertained by the celebration of public intoxication. ::)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: truth219 on February 25, 2013, 08:12:57 AMThese are young adults in the prime of their youth.

This post will be in the soon-to-be-started Tautology Hall of Fame.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 25, 2013, 03:46:22 PMfootball
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 25, 2013, 03:46:22 PMQuote from: truth219 on Today at 08:12:57 AM

These are young adults in the prime of their youth. You honestly don't think every student section in college basketball contains intoxicated students.

More's the pity.

I assume those drunken students did something to warrant the scrutiny.

Did they include the two guys who missed every single FT attempt during a time-out FT contest?