• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Recruiting

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 23, 2013, 07:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Now I'm assuming the May 15 deadline will apply here as well (incoming freshwomen)...it would be really nice to hear something today.

...pretty please?

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 15, 2013, 03:07:39 PMNow I'm assuming the May 15 deadline will apply here as well (incoming freshwomen)...it would be really nice to hear something today. ...pretty please?

That's what she said...............meaning Coach Dorow, of course.  :-[
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

If you two weren't such mortal enemies, I'd accuse you of being Saders03 for saying that :)

I'd much rather hear from Coach Dorow than him anyway though ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

LAA, I agree with you about hearing about the recruiting from Coach Dorow, but Saders always gave us an update on the fashion sense of Coach Dorow...why would anyone want to miss out on that?  :P

IndyValpo

Perhaps someone here can do a newspaper article reviewing the team's status at the end of year one.  I would love to know where are coaching staff thinkswe are in terms of recruiting and the future.

jack

It appears we are nowhere with recruiting. And I'm not one to subscribe to the idea that the players that left prematurely, did so due to the coaching staff. Tab left, as it turns out, for a valid reason. Scott, felt out of place at Valpo and was talked into another year last season, and Calloway probably left on mutual terms. I still think we have a decent core of players at the guard possition, but let's face it, if we don't get Horton some help inside, it will be a very rough season indeed.
This coaching squad needs some serious recruiting help. There is a HUGE difference between recruiting at the D2 level, then at the D1 level. HUGE!!!

IndyValpo

covufan

Quote from: jack on May 20, 2013, 07:59:39 AMThere is a HUGE difference between recruiting at the D2 level, then at the D1 level. HUGE!!!
I'm guessing that the coaching staff is learning this as we speak. 

We have six open scholarships.  Even if 2 of the three transfers (Gerardot, Scott Callaway) were coming back, we'd still have four open scholarships.  I can see losing girls that we've offered to similar or better programs, but we should have been making offers as soon as we knew their verbals.  Hopefully, we'll see some movement with some transfers from other programs - all other Division I talent is gone by now.

bbtds

"Why not Valpo?

The fans love my outfits!"

IndyValpo

Quote from: covufan on May 20, 2013, 11:35:14 AMHopefully, we'll see some movement with some transfers from other programs - all other Division I talent is gone by now.

At this point unfortunately we need to be way past D1 talent.  We need 1-3 players who can play next year. Transfers would be great but that does fill the 9 player line up we have for next season.

valpo4life

Relax people, just because you don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is happening.

jack

It was my understanding that Isaac, and Karungi, the big from Uganda, have actually signed, though I haven't seen a formal anouncement yet. I'm also not sure if either have to sit a year or could contribute right away.
I hope they are both as billed, but we are still in need of some inside help. Our only next best bet inside with the current roster would be Weidmann, and that certainly isn't in her wheelhouse.
Once again, we need to build on speed with so many guards, and start getting Dean much more involved. Freshman jitters, and lack of minutes can't be an issue for her this season. we need her, and she's probably one of out quickest players.
At the end of the day, we have to sign at least one more big to have any hope of competing.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: jack on May 21, 2013, 07:22:46 AMIt was my understanding that Isaac, and Karungi, the big from Uganda, have actually signed, though I haven't seen a formal anouncement yet.
they have signed, yes, and these are the formal announcements:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2012-13/12435/womens-hoops-inks-isaac-to-national-letter-of-intent/

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2012-13/12650/womens-hoops-inks-karungi-to-national-letter-of-intent/

Quote from: jack on May 21, 2013, 07:22:46 AMI'm also not sure if either have to sit a year or could contribute right away.
I'm not sure if you're referring to not being ready to play (i.e. redshirt) vs. not being able to play (i.e. NCAA stuff) but there is no problem with Isaac--your typical incoming freshman, so no NCAA problems--she has a diploma from a good school. With only 9 warm bodies, I can confidently say she's not going to sit out the year either.

As to Karungi, Paul Oren made it clear that the question is not "will she be allowed to play this year?" but "will she be allowed to play in 2015-16?":
QuoteKarungi will have at least two years of eligibility remaining with the possibility of a third.
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/karungi-finds-new-family-at-valparaiso/article_6caf0c82-6e51-554a-bb7f-23a133f41f59.html

Quote from: valpo4life on May 20, 2013, 10:46:20 PMRelax people, just because you don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is happening.
While that's hopefully true, one would have thought that the May 15th deadline would have prompted some action.  I mean:  D1 program with history of success, good university, mid-major conference, plenty of PT available...

jack

Thanks LP. Not sure what I was thinking with Isaac, and I agree, she will no doubt be asked to play a lot of minutes. Her "D" may help keep some games close. I just wasn't really sure about Karungi. I was thinking we could see help from her in 14 / 15, but your saying it could be 15 / 16?

sliman

I think Karungi definetly has two years of eligibility remainings -- 2013-14 and 2014-15 -- after playing one year at a junior/community college.  As with many international players, the question may be whether or not she has four years of eligibility or, as with KVW, is limited to three based on prior experience.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on May 21, 2013, 09:25:08 AMI just wasn't really sure about Karungi. I was thinking we could see help from her in 14 / 15, but your saying it could be 15 / 16?

I think Karangi will help us immediately whether we add more players or not.

Quote from: valpo4life on May 20, 2013, 10:46:20 PMRelax people, just because you don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is happening.

Kind of reminds me of Kevin Bacon in the parade scene of Animal House...."Remain calm, all is well".

jack

I honestly thought we had a 'letter of intent" signed as well, but for the life of me, I can't recall the player. Of course, as we've seen too many times, the intent letters aren't worth the paper they are written on.

valporun

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 21, 2013, 10:07:01 AMKind of reminds me of Kevin Bacon in the parade scene of Animal House...."Remain clam, all is well".

If we do this, we'll get shelled...

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on May 21, 2013, 11:30:18 AMIf we do this, we'll get shelled...
wish i'd thought of it first!  Indy logged back in and fixed it...or did you do it to him? :)

Anyway, Jack, sorry to confuse you.  Karungi is eligible for 2013-14 and 2014-15.  She only played one year of JUCO, so it's hoped she's going to have 2015-16 too, but obv. the NCAA has to sign off on that.

Luckily as we all know they are not a great bunch of sticklers.

jack

I think the women's game is making strides at the professional level, but at the end of the day, I still think far too many of these young ladies aspire to do something different with their lives, be it business, or raising families, after college ball is over. That certainly isn't a bad thing, just realitiy. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Not entirely relevant, but a good place to put this:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130514/SPORTS02/305140068/Why-would-Heritage-Christian-seventh-grader-Katlyn-Gilbert-commit-Evansville-

Maybe this is the answer to our recruiting woes!

insert "Mr. Show: Recruiters" video again

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpo4life on May 20, 2013, 10:46:20 PM
Relax people, just because you don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is happening.

What is happening? At what point can we stop relaxing and begin to question our recruiting ability?

jack

I'm afraid that point has come and gone my friend.

VU75

Kent Brockman: So Professor  would you say it's time for everyone to panic?

Professor: Yes I would Kent.

jack

Panic is wasted energy. We will see where we are at come November. We still have some quality talent, it all will hinge on who steps up. Our best leader hasn't been asked to lead yet.