• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Recruiting

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 23, 2013, 07:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Here is Annemarie Hamlet's bio from Oakland.  She may very well be the best player in our program.  Note that she and her sister are tied as the All-time leader scorer at their high school....

http://www.ougrizzlies.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/hamlet_annemarie00.html

And her sister...

http://www.ougrizzlies.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/hamlet_elizabeth00.html

Quote from: jack on June 21, 2013, 03:02:13 PMI don't recall any walk ons in the past several years actually.

Last one was Erika Lang three years ago. Only other walk-on I can remember is Amy Govert who was a softball player.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

wow.

um.

now there's a scholarship sport to add.  title IX friendly and all.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

IndyValpo

Apparantly there are still some players of value available for next season......unfortunately this one chose Butler.

http://www.butlersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/2013-14/releases/20130624hkrvoc

jack

Probably not even on our radar. Sometimes you have put in a little work for the best apples and not settle for the low hanging fruit. Kudos to Butler. I suspect if they were after her we wouldn't even be in the running, but there are still some players out there that can be had. It seems we've settled with where we are at.

IndyValpo

We add another guard from Minnesota for 2014......same AAU team as Anne Hamilton.

http://www.minnesotafury.com/girls/profile.php?player=878

jack

Tough to guage production without minutes played per stats. Unusual that she apparently shoots a better 3pt % than 2pt %. A bit low on the ft %. Must be their pt guard if she's only averaging 2.9 pg, or she just doesn't get the minutes.
I keep hoping to see a post commit. Keep your fingers crossed!

vu72

Quote from: jack on June 26, 2013, 07:31:40 AM
Tough to guage production without minutes played per stats. Unusual that she apparently shoots a better 3pt % than 2pt %. A bit low on the ft %. Must be their pt guard if she's only averaging 2.9 pg, or she just doesn't get the minutes.
I keep hoping to see a post commit. Keep your fingers crossed!
[/b]

They are working on a 6'2" player from this same team.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

This young lady would be a great addition. Appears to be talented in several fields, and quite imtellegent. Love the ft %.

LaPorteAveApostle

jack

Sorry. I forgot the spelling police were lurking. Unfortunately, spell check doesn't work on this site, and the N and M are right next to each other. I'll do my best to spot check for you in the future.

IndyValpo

More info on our incoming players from Minnesota.  Someone has actually rated the top 200 HS prospects for 2014 in the state of Minnesota for girls BB, plus has a watch list!

Ours are #31 and #43 which means what I do not know.

http://minnesotahoops.blogspot.com/2013/05/girls-player-rankings-2014s.html

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on June 26, 2013, 03:21:03 PMOurs are #31 and #43 which means what I do not know.
I'll tell you what--either that guy's wrong or we are.  Only 7 or 8 men get D1 scholarships out of MN in a given year, it seems (http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/03/23/good-question-how-hard-is-it-to-get-a-b-ball-scholarship/), and so multiplying that by 1.153 (or 15 over 13, womens' over mens' scholarships available) means probably 9 girls in MN merit D1 in a given year.

Checking that against that list, it seems that twice that number in this class at least have offers.  I'd rather think this guy's wrong.

No offense to Arden Skoglund or U-rule.

There are 5025 scholarships in WBB D1 (although, they don't all get used.  Ask Coach Dorow), which if strictly divided by population (they aren't, but MN isn't TX or CA or FL either) would mean that 86 women from MN should get scholarships on average. (Also this means 74 dudes should too, but they're not.)

So...hmmm.

LaPorteAveApostle

Also:  still nothing official (on the VU WBB news site that is) on Hamlet or Thompson or Donchetz (the latter not surprising however since she's a verbal HS commit) but the transfers...why the heck not?

Oren is on it:
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/thompson-finds-right-fit-with-valparaiso-university-women-s-basketball/article_7b574125-b205-58ee-987b-bd4ac95976c0.html

Quote"I'm thrilled to have Haylee in the program," Valparaiso coach Tracey Dorow said. "When we watched her on film we saw all the little things that we need. She can run the floor and finish. She's really good at scoring from 15 feet and in."

Thompson admitted that perimeter shooting isn't her specialty, but is eager to expand her range while she sits out next season. The Idaho native averaged 2.3 points and 2.4 rebounds in 31 games while making nine starts as a freshman. Thompson added nine blocks and 14 steals.

"I'm the down and dirty type of player and I'll basically do anything a coach needs me to do," Thompson said. "My post coach in Utah described me as someone who would run through walls. That's the kind of player I am."

Oren hasn't tweeted anything about Donchetz. #SimonIMeanPaulSays

Also, Haylee Thompson played football in HS.  Maybe she can give the guys a boost.

WBB scholarship chart is updated
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdDZ2VW1nNkYzdmVzbVJGYk1OZTYwTkE#gid=0

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 26, 2013, 07:13:50 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on June 26, 2013, 03:21:03 PMOurs are #31 and #43 which means what I do not know.
I'll tell you what--either that guy's wrong or we are.  Only 7 or 8 men get D1 scholarships out of MN in a given year, it seems (http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/03/23/good-question-how-hard-is-it-to-get-a-b-ball-scholarship/), and so multiplying that by 1.153 (or 15 over 13, womens' over mens' scholarships available) means probably 9 girls in MN merit D1 in a given year.

Checking that against that list, it seems that twice that number in this class at least have offers.  I'd rather think this guy's wrong.

No offense to Arden Skoglund or U-rule.

There are 5025 scholarships in WBB D1 (although, they don't all get used.  Ask Coach Dorow), which if strictly divided by population (they aren't, but MN isn't TX or CA or FL either) would mean that 86 women from MN should get scholarships on average. (Also this means 74 dudes should too, but they're not.)

So...hmmm.

OK, then think Cory Johnson, Nate Wolters and Alec Brown, as well as half of the Gopher lineup.  The level of play in MN is very good.  I'd be shocked if only 7 or 8 D1's go out each year. Valpo women have also had very good luck with Minnesota gals.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is only one D1 school in Minnesota when it comes to basketball.  Now, Indiana obviously has more players but what, 11 D1 teams?

IndyValpo

LaPorteAveApostle

After the famine, this is a veritable FEAST...and a 2015? 

The girls now have 2 '18s and a '19 before the men have any '18s!

WH, or whoever it was freaking out about men's recruiting...you have my permission to freak out a lil.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on June 26, 2013, 08:45:27 PMThe other thing to keep in mind is that there is only one D1 school in Minnesota when it comes to basketball.  Now, Indiana obviously has more players but what, 11 D1 teams?
That doesn't mean anything in the current discussion; all that means is kids go elsewhere.

http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/archives/11661
Here's the original article Indy referred to.  According to that KY guy, she's not in the top 25 for her class (juniors) and not in the top 78 of the state (at least).  Eh...those things are just dartboards, pretty much, anyway.  Nobody knows all the players in the next conference over, let alone the whole state.

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 26, 2013, 07:30:41 PMWBB scholarship chart is updated
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdDZ2VW1nNkYzdmVzbVJGYk1OZTYwTkE#gid=0
Thanks for updating.  Nice to see some color where before there were just areas of blank. 

I did notice that Aliyah Isaac is on there twice in 14-15, and Thompson is missing that year. 

Thanks for keeping these charts updated, they are a good reference.

valporun

jack, you have many posts with a lot of spelling mistakes, and I wasn't sure if it was something to do with your geographic background or education, so rather than be nitpicky, I just left it alone. I have to inquire about your "intelligence" when you spell intelligent incorrectly (intellegent).

jack

Quote from: valporun on June 27, 2013, 01:05:50 PM
jack, you have many posts with a lot of spelling mistakes, and I wasn't sure if it was something to do with your geographic background or education, so rather than be nitpicky, I just left it alone. I have to inquire about your "intelligence" when you spell intelligent incorrectly (intellegent).

I'm sure spelling mistakes bother you younguns much more than it does us old farts. It's not something I lose sleep over. It appears I get my point across, regardless of the spelling or verbage. I suspect I've been around, been involved, and participated in this game long before you were born. If this were critical typing, I would certainly spend the time to proof read for spelling errors, but it isn't, so I won't. If ever I type something that you just don't understand, ask me, and I shall clarify.
Carry on.

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 26, 2013, 07:30:41 PM
Also:  still nothing official (on the VU WBB news site that is) on Hamlet or Thompson or Donchetz (the latter not surprising however since she's a verbal HS commit) but the transfers...why the heck not?

NCAA rules, is the short answer.  Coaches (or university representatives) can't make any public statements regarding recruits until they sign a NLI.  Since transfers (or walk-on freshmen) don't sign NLI's, they can't be announced until they start attending classes.  That could be in a week if they're in summer school, or in August if not.

For the freshmen example, Butler men added two walk-ons in their incoming freshman class who verbally committed in January and March of this year.  The official announcement (
http://butlersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/2012-13/releases/20130625qs4swg ) wasn't made until this week, once they started summer school classes.