• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/9/13, 7:30pm - ESPNU: Green Bay @ Valpo HL Tournament Game Thread

Started by valpo04, March 09, 2013, 05:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkvu

Quote from: rink on March 09, 2013, 09:53:21 PM
And instead of a scathing rant, time for a victory shot of whiskey. Hot friggin damn, thank you Ryan.  I might write a check to Valpo athletics tonight. Woot woot.

Just puored myself the biggest glass of scotch I've had in a long time.  Got to slow my heart down.  Truely amazing finish.  What can you say about Rowdy - he's the real deal!  Got a special single malt reserved for Tuesday.  :thumbsup:

Goraiders93

Another fine exhibit played out tonight as to why daddy's boy shouldn't represent the HL POY

wh

Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 09, 2013, 10:14:50 PM
Another fine exhibit played out tonight as to why daddy's boy shouldn't represent the HL POY

Your Raiders were VERY impressive tonight at both ends of the court.  Loved the way they kept Jr. from going left and driving to the hoop.  They completely took him out of the game.  Congratulations and good luck Tuesday.

wh

My ears were still ringing 30 minutes after the game - never heard the ARC that loud!

valpotx

That did sound like quite a 'pop'  ;D.  Only listed as 3,285 fans as well.  I thought it looked like more?  Glad to see the students there!
"Don't mess with Texas"

truth219

I've never been apart of anything like what took place tonight..

wh

Quote from: valpotx on March 09, 2013, 11:14:26 PM
That did sound like quite a 'pop'  ;D.  Only listed as 3,285 fans as well.  I thought it looked like more?  Glad to see the students there!

That has to be a mistake.  There were at least 4500.  Every ticket in the lower level sections was sold (less a handful).  The upper level looked nearly full.

truth219

There was a lot of empty seats in the upper deck. A lot meaning maybe a 1000. Last year, the Saturday games had a full house.

valpo84

Didn't make the connection that this game was 70-69 and so was the Shot game. Also, we are now like 16-1 when scoring 70 or more. Wright State kept Detroit in the 50s. Detroit looked out of sync all night.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpotx

Quote from: valpotx on March 09, 2013, 09:42:16 PM
I cannot think of a time I have yelled that loud  :).  Fiancee had to come running in from across the house to watch what I was yelling 'OOOOOOOOOOOOOO' for.  Clutch 3 by Kenney when it seemed like it wouldn't matter...and Broekhoff...nothing you can say but 'wow' on that shot.  That is a primetime player, and I loved watching the faces of GB's players as it went in, especially Sykes  ;D.

Different tournament, but how about winning 70-69 15 years from the shot?  :)

I was surprised as well that no one else picked up on this until joe just did!  Yes, I just quoted myself  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

drewsaders11

Dear God.  I don't think I could scream in the tone I did after that shot went in.  To come back from two possessions with ten seconds left is remarkable.  I was complaining the whole game about missed fts, but we had a higher percentage than they did.  Scared the hell outta me when Kevin went down.  But he was back in there, hobbling to the scorers table but then playing like a champion.  Lets get it done Tuesday.

drewsaders11

Also, hats off to Green Bay.  They played with a lot of class, unlike the team that lost before our game.

truth219

Could you see anyone from green bay or the rest of the conferance transfering...ie sykes....he was insain

valpopal

Just got back from the game with lots of great photos. What a great night for the Horizon League with 2 of the top 3 plays on SportsCenter. You couldn't ask for much better promotion of the league. Here are a few of the pictures I took (more to come):

Rowdy Celebrating

Hug from Buggs

Rowdy Describes His Shot in Postgame Interview

Dixon Describes His Shot in Postgame Interview

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 09, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
HL POY @ the half:  0-3, 1 reb, 0 ast, 3 steals

er...make that four stolen things in a week.

I was told there were NBA scouts at the two games tonight taking notes. I'd love to see their comments.

rink

Some thoughts....

- other than than "the shot", what other valpo buzzer beaters are on par with the one? The Tonegal half courter at home in '99 against Belmont?  (Are my facts even right n that?) Not exactly a marquee game, and only one year after the sweet 16 year, but still the closest match?  Thank you Ryan Broekhoff!!
- it looked like after the make and during all the excitement, Rowdy was pointing towards the scoring table as if doubting the legality of the shot and holding out enthusiasm until it was official ... the ultimate gesture of humility, in an era when most college players are trying to convine the officials that the player knows best
- maybe it's my soft spot for late 90s Marquette hoops, but Wardle's team played excellent and with tons of class ... deserved the win, and handled the disappointment with grace ... they wouldnt want to hear it, but it's commendabe

bbtds

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 09, 2013, 10:01:37 PM
Hell of a shot by Ryan, but without Kenney's three just before, that ending probably never happens.

Hell of a job by all the guys tonight.  Win this damn thing!

The REAL TRUTH. If Valpo makes it's normal percentage of free throws the Crusaders don't need the dramatic comeback. Thank God for Kenney and Broekhoff! Valpo pulled it off!!

Even Bogan misses a free throw in this game. Man!!!

historyman

There was a player named Terrance Price, I believe, who made 4 threes in the last 2 minutes or maybe even the last minute of a game to win it. Anyone remember all the details and if I have the correct guy? Was it Stalin Ortiz? That Soviet Colombian player? 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: historyman on March 10, 2013, 07:11:51 AM
There was a player named Terrance Price, I believe, who made 4 threes in the last 2 minutes or maybe even the last minute of a game to win it. Anyone remember all the details and if I have the correct guy? Was it Stalin Ortiz? That Soviet Colombian player? 

You have it right:

Price averaged 6.6 points and 2.5 rebounds during his two-year Crusader career, shooting 38.1% from three-point range and helping the Brown and Gold capture back-to-back Mid-Continent Conference Tournament titles. But Price was perhaps most well known for one singular performance, January 28, 1999 against Oakland, when he made four three-pointers in a 54 second span with the Crusaders down and just over two minutes remaining in the game, one Valpo would win 76-72.

vuweathernerd

wow. just wow. for most of the second half, we didn't deserve to win. but that last 30 seconds damn near killed me. sykes single-handedly almost killed us, and brown played better last night than in the first two games against us - if he had played like that for most of the season he would've repeated as first teamer.

i know kvw's ankle is gonna be sore today and tomorrow, but i really hope he'll be okay to play on tuesday. as he showed last night, he's a key cog in our offense.

wh

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 10, 2013, 07:49:19 AM
wow. just wow. for most of the second half, we didn't deserve to win. but that last 30 seconds damn near killed me. sykes single-handedly almost killed us, and brown played better last night than in the first two games against us - if he had played like that for most of the season he would've repeated as first teamer.

i know kvw's ankle is gonna be sore today and tomorrow, but i really hope he'll be okay to play on tuesday. as he showed last night, he's a key cog in our offense.

Once Kevin suffered the ankle injury he simply did not have the ability to get around screens and stay up with the play, which gave Brown open looks that he ordinarily would not have had.   So yeah, he had a strong performance, but Kevin's injury had a lot to do with it. 

bmlvu97

Hell of a game...from the videos I saw, kinda reminds me of the atmosphere when Valpo beat Western Illinois to win the 1995 Mid Con Championship game in triple overtime...  Need to get KVW some rest.

If anything, this gave the team their "oh s**t" moment that they needed, but also gave them some confidence on coming back late in the game...
Brian M. Lenz
Valpo Class of 1997

wh

I have to give a tip of the hat to Sykes.  Until last night I couldn't see him as a HL 1st team player.  No convincing needed now.   ;)

vubballfan10

Quote from: truth219 on March 10, 2013, 12:14:24 AMCould you see anyone from green bay or the rest of the conferance transfering...ie sykes....he was insain

Two words: Kyle Kelm

vuweathernerd

Quote from: wh on March 10, 2013, 08:00:43 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 10, 2013, 07:49:19 AM

Once Kevin suffered the ankle injury he simply did not have the ability to get around screens and stay up with the play, which gave Brown open looks that he ordinarily would not have had.   So yeah, he had a strong performance, but Kevin's injury had a lot to do with it. 

yes, but he was also making moves and getting better looks before kevin rolled his ankle. and when he curled around that screen and hit that jumper - that was a thing of beauty for a 7-footer.