• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/12/13, 8pm - ESPN: Wright St. @ Valpo HL Championship Game Thread

Started by valpo04, March 10, 2013, 07:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

http://dialglobalsports.com/2013/03/horizon-league-championship-highlights-valparaiso-62-wright-st-54/

Larrivee literally said "A DAGGGGERR" as Broekhoff hits his dagger three at the end of the game. He's never been wrong on a dagger call before.

valpotx

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 13, 2013, 12:59:31 AM
CBS Front Page...

It would be nice if they spelled Valparaiso correctly  :).  At least each announcing team pronounces it correctly nowadays
"Don't mess with Texas"

ncatprof

Congrats on a well-deserved win.  It looked like the Raiders might just steal it away (literally), but your seniors got their composure back down the stretch.  Buggs killed us, although it was Broekoff's shot that seemed to put the nail in the coffin.

Good luck in the tournament!

valpo04

Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2013, 10:24:13 PM
If WSU had any kind of offense today, we stood no chance with 25 turnovers.  I would love it if someone had a stat on the record of teams who commit that many turnovers...maybe the first win ever? lol

While it can be done, even against top competition, it probably isn't a good recipe for a win.

Maryland beat Duke last month with 26 TOs:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330470120

wh

Quote from: valpo04 on March 13, 2013, 05:49:20 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2013, 10:24:13 PM
If WSU had any kind of offense today, we stood no chance with 25 turnovers.  I would love it if someone had a stat on the record of teams who commit that many turnovers...maybe the first win ever? lol

While it can be done, even against top competition, it probably isn't a good recipe for a win.

Maryland beat Duke last month with 26 TOs:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330470120

WSU's 54 points didn't just happen, any more than our 62 did.  Only 4 times in 33 games has WSU scored fewer than 54 points.  While they held us 10 points below our per/game average, we held them 8 points below theirs.  Our defensive intensity matched theirs blow for blow, and in the end that's what won us the game despite our offensive woes.

wh

Interesting tidbit from an article in the Dayton Daily News:

Van Wijk's ankle: Valparaiso big man Kevin Van Wijk, of the Netherlands, sprained his ankle in Saturday's semifinal win over Green Bay, but he played 32 minutes Tuesday and had 10 points and 10 rebounds.
Van Wijk's parents stayed at the Country Inn and Suites just off campus, and after returning to the hotel following the game, his dad Henk, wearing a No. 55 Van Wijk jersey, showed a reporter a cell phone photo of Van Wijk's ankle. It was black and blue, and the dad was surprised his son was able to play as well as he did on it.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/basketball/notes-donlon-proud-of-wright-state-despite-defeat/nWqWN/

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

I have watched a lot of college basketball in my lifetime and I have never seen a senior-laden team struggle this much  at home as prohibitive favorites against a 3 & 4 seed.  Very frustrating.  24 turnovers at home from a team with this much experience!  Just does not give much reason for hope in the NCAA tournament as a double-digit underdog at a neutral site against a 2 or 3 seed nationally.  I hope we can somehow magically play much better next game.  Much more than 12 turnovers and we have little chance.  A super-strong defensive pressure team like Ohio State will be a horrible match-up for us.  Any Big 10 team will be a bad match-up.  I am very glad we are Dancing but I am not cautiously optimistic after the last two games.  Please prove me wrong Valpo and make a run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

a3uge

Quote from: Valposter on March 13, 2013, 09:34:07 AM
I have watched a lot of college basketball in my lifetime and I have never seen a senior-laden team struggle this much  at home as prohibitive favorites against a 3 & 4 seed.  Very frustrating.  24 turnovers at home from a team with this much experience!  Just does not give much reason for hope in the NCAA tournament as a double-digit underdog at a neutral site against a 2 or 3 seed nationally.  I hope we can somehow magically play much better next game.  Much more than 12 turnovers and we have little chance.  A super-strong defensive pressure team like Ohio State will be a horrible match-up for us.  Any Big 10 team will be a bad match-up.  I am very glad we are Dancing but I am not cautiously optimistic after the last two games.  Please prove me wrong Valpo and make a run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valpo a 15 seed? U out cho damn mind.

milanmiracle

All that matters is the scoreboard! ;)

That said, it was hard to watch that debacle. I don't think either team played well, and it showed. How you lose when the other team turns the ball over that many times is astounding. I hope they play better in the NCAA's, or they're going to lose by 30. Yikes. I can't remember calling a win pathetic before, but I think in this case the shoe fits.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

Valposter

Quote from: a3uge on March 13, 2013, 10:09:21 AM

That's what you took out of that post?  Yea, we are going to be at best a 13 seed.  Doesn't matter.  We can be a 1 seed with 3 byes and we are going to get crushed the next game we play if we keep playing like this.  That's the point.  24 turnovers.  Kevin hurt.  Rowdy invisable.  Kenny handing the ball to anyone on the other team who wants it.  Seniors playing scared to death to loose instead of playing to win.  That's the point I was making, not a stupid debate about seeding.  Ridiculous post.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

a3uge

Quote from: Valposter on March 13, 2013, 11:17:08 AM

That's what you took out of that post?  Yea, we are going to be at best a 13 seed.  Doesn't matter.  We can be a 1 seed with 3 byes and we are going to get crushed the next game we play if we keep playing like this.  That's the point.  24 turnovers.  Kevin hurt.  Rowdy invisable.  Kenny handing the ball to anyone on the other team who wants it.  Seniors playing scared to death to loose instead of playing to win.  That's the point I was making, not a stupid debate about seeding.  Ridiculous post.

It's not ridiculous because the premise of your post was Valpo playing a 2 or 3 seed against a Big Ten team. While they could get a 14 seed, they are more likely to get a 13. There's a big difference between playing against Michigan St/Georgetown vs playing against a flawed Oklahoma St/Marquette/Arizona team. Yeah, of course they'll need to play better, but they won't be double-digit underdogs and the sky is NOT falling. Kevin's going to have a ton of time to heal and they'll be playing a team that isn't familiar with us. This team has a ton of talent with guys that can put the team on their back. If they all play okay they're going to have a good chance at an upset. One of the guys is going to go off - it always happens. We just need everyone else clicking. Turnovers will come, and we'll have to limit them, but they're capable of bringing it together and playing as a team. If they're playing a 2-seed. No chance as all. Luckily they won't be.

TitanReg

Congratulations to the Crusaders on winning both titles this season.  Your team played well all year and will hopefully continue to do so in the NCAA tourney.  Of course I wanted my team to be in the final against you but we didn't do what was necessary to get there so that's that.

Though there seems to be bad feelings, not on my part, I wish you all great success in the Dance and make the HL proud by sending a team or two home. 

Though I cheer for and support Detroit, I also support the league and I always want our league teams to do well.  With that said, Go Valpo! Represent the Horizon League well.

wh

Quote from: TitanReg on March 13, 2013, 12:44:37 PM
Congratulations to the Crusaders on winning both titles this season.  Your team played well all year and will hopefully continue to do so in the NCAA tourney.  Of course I wanted my team to be in the final against you but we didn't do what was necessary to get there so that's that. 

Though there seems to be bad feelings, not on my part, I wish you all great success in the Dance and make the HL proud by sending a team or two home. 

Though I cheer for and support Detroit, I also support the league and I always want our league teams to do well.  With that said, Go Valpo! Represent the Horizon League well.

Very classy post, then again I would expect nothing less from you.  For those who don't know, TitanReg is actually Reggie Hall, a former Titan baseball player and longtime supporter of UDM athletics.  Reggie recently received the prestigious John Conti Letterman of Distinction Award from the UDM Athletic Department.  He is also the longtime sports producer for ABC News in Detroit.

The following video and story tells more about Reggie and his many contributions:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/reggie-hall-honored-university-detroit-191942340.html

http://www.detroittitans.com/news/2013/2/26/GEN_0226131018.aspx

crusadermoe

That's really great to hear from a Titan fan like him.

I am crawling ashamedly back onto the VU bandwagon like others on this board.    I really bailed at the 7 minute mark last night.    It just looked horrible at 50-44 Wright St.   We just couldn't do anything.   The KVW ankle issue does explain some of the horrible offensive flow.

But....anyway, we can all hold our heads very high over the next 9-10 days until the first round.   Hopefully, we can also be proud of our first round performance too.    Heal that ankle, Kevin!   Bobby is just a step slow and doesn't have that 70% FGP/amazing knack around the hoop.  If KVW can maneuver again and we catch fire from 3-point land, we can possibly still be in the game in last 5 minutes.  Those are "Ifs".

vu72

These type of posts (and similar ones by people like crusadermoe), puzzle me. Yes we played very tight last night, but the last TWO games?  We shot over 40% from the 3 and had 16 assists versus 8 turnovers against Green Bay--who had beaten a team like Marquette earlier in the year and played Wisconsin very well, losing by 11 on the road.

We have lost a total of three games when having all of our rotation 8 available.  In all losses, we have not been beaten by anyone by more that 13 points.  We will play a New Mexico/St. Louis level team. Five of our seven losses have been on the road.  This will be a neutral site.  We certainly can win this next game.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Quote from: wh on March 13, 2013, 01:26:55 PM
Quote from: TitanReg on March 13, 2013, 12:44:37 PM

Very classy post, then again I would expect nothing less from you.  For those who don't know, TitanReg is actually Reggie Hall, a former Titan baseball player and longtime supporter of UDM athletics.  Reggie recently received the prestigious John Conti Letterman of Distinction Award from the UDM Athletic Department.  He is also the longtime sports producer for ABC News in Detroit.

The following video and story tells more about Reggie and his many contributions:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/reggie-hall-honored-university-detroit-191942340.html

http://www.detroittitans.com/news/2013/2/26/GEN_0226131018.aspx

I really hope that Detroit can add baseball sometime in the near future.  I believe it was 2001 when they shut the program down?  It was around the same time that IUPUI did the same thing, which was my first year of ball at VU.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 13, 2013, 01:46:29 PMIt just looked horrible at 50-44 Wright St.   We just couldn't do anything.   The KVW ankle issue does explain some of the horrible offensive flow.
It would be interesting to get a count on deflected and intercepted entry post passes but Kevins ankle could explain much of that problem. Most of the overplayed passing lane TOs are harder to explain because a lot of them you could see developing long before the ball was released. There were also.a number of wide open backdoor oportunities that closed before they were spotted or executed. I am not going to crticize anybody because we still managed to win with the trio of Kevin, Matt, and Ryan all delivering way substandard performances. Go Valpo- I still like our chances!

valpo84

Question (and not looking to start no trouble, just here to do the NCAA shuffle), why didn't WSU come back out for the awards ceremony and All-Tourney team announcements. At a minimum send those selections out to receive the awards? Donlon may have been in Presser, but this seemed a very Quitness errr Lebron type move and we, the fans, would have appreciated having the chance to congratulate a valient effort in both games. (Folks, Donlon coached a huge game with defensive adjustments that forced our offense into running into doubles and strips, etc..  As a coach, I would (a) want to instill and foster sportsmanship (Horizon League goal too), (b) honor a season that was way beyond expectations for WSU, and (c) have this young team see the trophy ceremony and cutting nets as a motivator for next season (visualize yourself doing that while running and lifting during the summer). Am I missing something? What did we do last year, as I was overseas?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo84

justducky -- another factor was the very physical nature Pacher and Tavares Sledge (some hybrid 80s dance band?) treated KVW. They went through him, held him, manhandled him all night and the reffing (which will be left unsaid for now) let them do it (and then Donlon would whine when there was a call, must be watching Gary Waters tape). Pacher finally fouled out late. This factor, serious physical D, was also going on the perimeter (Ryan was being held all night, reminded me of what they used to do to Bryce to try to slow him down).
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

ValpoHoops

Quote from: valpo84 on March 13, 2013, 02:42:09 PM
Question (and not looking to start no trouble, just here to do the NCAA shuffle), why didn't WSU come back out for the awards ceremony and All-Tourney team announcements. At a minimum send those selections out to receive the awards? Donlon may have been in Presser, but this seemed a very Quitness errr Lebron type move and we, the fans, would have appreciated having the chance to congratulate a valient effort in both games. (Folks, Donlon coached a huge game with defensive adjustments that forced our offense into running into doubles and strips, etc..  As a coach, I would (a) want to instill and foster sportsmanship (Horizon League goal too), (b) honor a season that was way beyond expectations for WSU, and (c) have this young team see the trophy ceremony and cutting nets as a motivator for next season (visualize yourself doing that while running and lifting during the summer). Am I missing something? What did we do last year, as I was overseas?

I wouldn't overthink this. Some teams do, some don't. They chose not to, and that's fine in my book.

Couple things to think about in terms of Donlon being gone (and he was in the press room doing interviews):
1) Game time was 8PM Central (This is 9PM in Dayton)
2) The game ran just a little over two hours, so past 11:00 in the east
3) WSU's writers and news were pretty tight up against deadlines, so they probably wanted him as early as possible.

Back to the original question, after HOW they lost (losing a late lead, etc.) its like having your heart ripped out...staying to watch would be like laying on the ground and watching the lions eat it...

justducky

Quote from: valpo84 on March 13, 2013, 02:45:55 PM
justducky -- another factor was the very physical nature Pacher and Tavares Sledge (some hybrid 80s dance band?) treated KVW. They went through him, held him, manhandled him all night and the reffing (which will be left unsaid for now) let them do it (and then Donlon would whine when there was a call, must be watching Gary Waters tape). Pacher finally fouled out late. This factor, serious physical D, was also going on the perimeter (Ryan was being held all night, reminded me of what they used to do to Bryce to try to slow him down).
Yup!  We should also mention that not only was the hand part of the ball last night but also most of the lower arm, chest, chin and any other body part within 10 inches of the ball. The refs were very consistent in allowing ball hack contact. We finally figured that out and got a few hack turnovers ourselves but it was a little slow in coming.

StlVUFan

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 13, 2013, 02:48:12 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on March 13, 2013, 02:42:09 PM
I wouldn't overthink this. Some teams do, some don't. They chose not to, and that's fine in my book.

Couple things to think about in terms of Donlon being gone (and he was in the press room doing interviews):
1) Game time was 8PM Central (This is 9PM in Dayton)
2) The game ran just a little over two hours, so past 11:00 in the east
3) WSU's writers and news were pretty tight up against deadlines, so they probably wanted him as early as possible.

Back to the original question, after HOW they lost (losing a late lead, etc.) its like having your heart ripped out...staying to watch would be like laying on the ground and watching the lions eat it...
I still remember 2002 when they made Ron Hunter bring back his team for the postgame ceremony in spite of the fact that there were no runner up awards to hand out like there was for the women's final.  I thought that was kinda cruel myself.

valpotx

I remember that in both 2000-2001 and 2002-2003, our team was still sitting in their seats as the runner-up during the presentations
"Don't mess with Texas"