• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/12/13, 8pm - ESPN: Wright St. @ Valpo HL Championship Game Thread

Started by valpo04, March 10, 2013, 07:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Get off my back, Wilbur Wright State University, said Mr. Ed

bbtds

a3uge

How about "Wright '140 RPI With a Ceiling of a 15 Seed' State"

gerb

Well, that conversation of good will turned quickly. Regardless, looking forward to a good game from Val-poo. ;)

wh

Quote from: gerb on March 12, 2013, 04:45:04 PM
Well, that conversation of good will turned quickly. Regardless, looking forward to a good game from Val-poo. ;)

Gerb - You have a classy program, an excellent coach and players that put team before self.  You are a worthy opponent and if for some reason we lose this game, I will proudly support WSU as our representative in the Big Dance.  Good luck and may the best team win!

crusadermoe

You've got a helluva coach at Wright State.     Best of luck.............................next year!   This is the Valpo seniors' night!

Valpo   67                 
Dudley Do-Wright State    58

historyman

Snowing big thick "lake effect" flakes in Valpo right now. Hope this is supposed to end soon.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: gerb on March 12, 2013, 04:45:04 PMWell, that conversation of good will turned quickly.

were you expecting a replay of the Milhouse vs. Bart miniature golf championship match?

"This is the most stirring display of gallantry and sportsmanship since Mountbatten gave India back to the Punjabs."
(-- Tearful announcer, "Dead Putting Society")

VU 72
WSU 63
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Does anyone else think that regardless of outcome, their coach will be a hot commodity this summer?  Taking a team that was 'supposed' to finish last to a third place regular season finish, and the HL tourney championship game can get you some looks.

I saw on the WSU board that they think we will lose Bryce this year.  I think that with this solid recruiting class coming in, he will want to see how it plays out after a few seasons more.
"Don't mess with Texas"

gerb

Quote from: wh on March 12, 2013, 04:55:44 PM

Gerb - You have a classy program, an excellent coach and players that put team before self.  You are a worthy opponent and if for some reason we lose this game, I will proudly support WSU as our representative in the Big Dance.  Good luck and may the best team win!

Yup. You will. ;D

Kyle321n

68-62 Valpo. God I hope I'm wrong and it's a blow out.  If we get up by 10, I will consider the game over.

Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2013, 05:03:10 PM
Does anyone else think that regardless of outcome, their coach will be a hot commodity this summer?  Taking a team that was 'supposed' to finish last to a third place regular season finish, and the HL tourney championship game can get you some looks.

I saw on the WSU board that they think we will lose Bryce this year.  I think that with this solid recruiting class coming in, he will want to see how it plays out after a few seasons more.

Bryce isn't leaving unless a bluechip job comes and offers him Calipari like money, and that job isn't coming.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2013, 05:03:10 PM

I saw on the WSU board that they think we will lose Bryce this year. I think that with this solid recruiting class coming in, he will want to see how it plays out after a few seasons more.

Give that man a BIG pay raise!  (Said not having a clue what he makes now.)  ;)

bbtds

Quote from: gerb on March 12, 2013, 05:03:23 PM
Quote from: wh on March 12, 2013, 04:55:44 PM

Yup. You will. ;D

Wwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright!

crusadermoe

Money seems not to be Bryce's main motivation or he would never have taken the Valpo job.    I can't imagine VU pays him a lot.   

Remember also that he earned well over $8M in the NBA.   Plus he picked up daily NBA meal money" of $80 or more bucks per day.   Eat hamburgers and reasonable cost meals and you pocket $50 per day.    Doubt he was out howling at the moon past 4am every night.

I agree he will likely want to coach his own recruits for a couple years and now he has a great shot at the NCAA every year.    Now....Roger Powell?   I think he will be offered a lot of jobs very soon.  No surprise if he is not back next year.       

Paul 

valpotx

I guess that the same poster on the WSU board also mentioned that we will lose 69 of our 72 points per game.  We actually retain 21 ppg out of the 72 ppg, or around 28%.  It will be a different team next year for sure, but I think that our guys will get it together by conference to give it a top 4 run.  We aren't really a program that rebuilds as others do in our conference, but rather reloads  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

70zboy

As a lot of you probably know, Coach Donlon grew up in the northern Chicago suburbs. At the beginning of this school year, his father who is now serving as a basketball operations assistant (he's on the bench too), was a dean at our local high school. Prior to that he had been the high school coach and prior to that served as as assistant at Northwestern to Bill Foster. I can't say for sure but I'm thinking he stayed put in the north Chi suburbs to provide a stable home base for his family instead of continually moving around as an assistant. Kudos for that.

wh

"We're excited," he said. "It doesn't matter who we play (today). This week is all about us."
Doug Minnerath on March 9th

I understand Detroit players will be gathering at Jason Calliste's apartment tonight to watch the big game and chow down on some Chinese.  House rule: every egg roll has to taken 4 times around the waist and bounced twice on the floor before being eaten.  ;)

drewsaders11

1. Detroit sucks...can I get a retweet?

2.  I'm not really sure why any of us are attempting to stir up any bad blood between the two schools on the boards.  I have respected Wright State ever since I have been affiliated with Valpo.  Good, consistent program with respectable players.

3.  Talking about seeding at this point is like counting your chickens before you even have a chicken to lay an egg that hasn't even hatched yet.  With that said, whoever said Wright St. woud get a 16 if completely insane and should never post again. Its uninformed BS like that that makes me shy away form boards in general, and irritates fans of other teams.    1. Liberty 2. James Madison 3. Iona 4. Western Kentucky 5. SoCon winner (1 seed Southern, all other eligible teams below .500 if they win it) 6. NEC Conference winner.   All of those teams would DEFINITELY be lower than Wright St.  There is no possible way Wright St. would be a 16.  So think before you post.

4.  Lets go Valpo!  I hope to see us make more free throws, not allow many second chances, and for KVW not to go down for any amount of time.  If all three of those things happen, we have an excellent shot. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 12, 2013, 05:44:54 PMHouse rule: every egg roll has to taken 4 times around the waist and bounced twice on the floor before being eaten.

well put, except for they won't bounce unless they're spring rolls
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

gerb

Quote from: drewsaders11 on March 12, 2013, 06:09:34 PM1. Detroit sucks...can I get a retweet? 2.  I'm not really sure why any of us are attempting to stir up any bad blood between the two schools on the boards.  I have respected Wright State ever since I have been affiliated with Valpo.  Good, consistent program with respectable players. 

1. Yup

2. I don't see any bad blood here. I think both of our fan bases have a solid respect for the others'. In a situation like this, though a little good-natured manufactured animosity can be fun. I mean really, you guys are like our much much older but much much smaller brother who happens to have NOT won a national championship on any level despite a 51-year head start.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 12, 2013, 06:40:33 PM
Quote from: wh on March 12, 2013, 05:44:54 PMHouse rule: every egg roll has to taken 4 times around the waist and bounced twice on the floor before being eaten.
You can bet Ray Jr will "stuff" the last one in his mouth as he's walking out the door.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on March 12, 2013, 06:43:49 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 12, 2013, 06:40:33 PM
You can bet Ray Jr will "stuff" the last one in his mouth as he's walking out the door.
And Anderson will wonder why his "long shot," Wright State, didn't come through as he watches Ray Jr "stuff" that last egg roll. 

agibson

Quote from: historyman on March 12, 2013, 05:01:44 PM
Snowing big thick "lake effect" flakes in Valpo right now. Hope this is supposed to end soon.

Might now be finished.  About an inch accumulated, but I suspect the roads are fine.

We just signed Bryce to a multi-year extension last summer.

I doubt he's getting mega-bucks, but I'd guess his salary is within laughing distance of competitive.

I doubt salary's one of his most significant motivating factors, and I bet it didn't even take the NBA per diem to make it true.

a3uge

Anyone else cheering for Notre Dame women's basketball to pull away so this game starts soon?