• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Navy

Started by jetz, March 12, 2013, 10:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

The boys are warming up now and the rain has stopped.  Look to start around 11:30 EDT or so.  I'll try to do blog updates here.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpo04

As a Navy football season ticket holder, go easy on the Mids!  :thumbsup:

jetz

Sorry for the confusion.  New update at 11:13p...game cancelled today.  No word yet on possible reschedule.  I'll be here tomorrow for updates on the 6p EDT game. 

jetz

Now they are trying to reschedule the Navy game for tomorrow.  We will play two.  Not sure of time/place for Navy resked game.  Will update here...

valpotx

Too bad, as Navy is usually pretty decent in baseball.  Hopefully we can reschedule the game, though that usually doesn't happen
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2013, 10:36:49 AM
Too bad, as Navy is usually pretty decent in baseball.  Hopefully we can reschedule the game, though that usually doesn't happen
Navy should be able to handle anything involving water.

LaPorteAveApostle

True that.

I was at the ND-Navy game in Baltimore...'08 probably?

ND owned the first half, absolutely amazing...and then the skies simply opened up second half and Navy almost came all the way back.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 12, 2013, 12:29:38 PM
True that.

I was at the ND-Navy game in Baltimore...'08 probably?

ND owned the first half, absolutely amazing...and then the skies simply opened up second half and Navy almost came all the way back.

I was there too... hated the first half... left after getting absolutely soaked, listened to the end in the car leaving the stadium while dodging ignorant ND fans playing some sort of duel involving throwing full beer cans at each other and having no clue that their team was on the verge of an epic collapse.   >:(

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo04 on March 12, 2013, 01:39:50 PMwas there too... hated the first half... left after getting absolutely soaked

oh ye of little faith...i stayed though i  didn't even care who won, and didn't bring a poncho.  a lady next to me had pity though :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

jetz

OK we're finally up and running here in Aurburndale, FL.  It's the top of the 1st and Navy is the visiting team.  They have their first two batters on first and second after Dalton Lundeen issued a leadoff walk and gave up a swinging bunt single.

jetz

Lundeen strikes out the #3 hitter.  He then gets the cleanup man to bounce into a 5-4-3 double play.  Vavra's throw to first was low, but Loeffler made the pickup to complete the DP.  0-0 mid 1

jetz

Mahoney back at ss after a day off in Tampa.  He will lead it off.  The Navy pitcher is a hard throwing rightyh.  I'm not near the gun but he's at 90 or so.  Mahoney drives a ground ball single through the hole on the right side.  Vavra lays down the bunt, and the Navy throw from the catcher is wide for an error.  1st and 2nd for Valpo no out.

jetz

Bain will step in.  It's 60 degrees in the bright sunshine here.  Wind blowing left to right at 10 mph makes it a little chilly.  Yesterday's rain didn't end til mid afternoon, so it was a good call to postpone.  Bain draws are walk and they're juiced with no out.

jetz

Loeffler will bat cleanup.  The senior lefty has picked it up in the last few games with the bat.  Valpo wearing all gray today with gold trim.  We are the home team.  Navy in gray pants and solid navy blue jerseys.  Loeffler pokes a two strike single out to left.  Mahoney and Vavra score.  Bain stops at 2nd.

jetz

Morman lays down a perfect bunt and there is no throw.  Loaded again.  Martin's swinging bunt goes pitcher to home for the inning's first out. 

jetz

Mark Johnson getss the start in right today.  He bounces to 2nd, who bobbles and goes to second for the force.  Johnson beats the throw to first and Loeffler scores.  Cribbs steps in with runners at the corners.  Yet another swinging bunt is beaten out for a single.  Morman stays at third and they are loaded with two away. 

jetz

Hara is the 9th Crusader to bat this inning.  He hits a hard ground ball to the 2nd baseman's left.  He dives but his toss to first is off the mark.  Two more score.  It's now 5-0.  Mahoney up with Hara at first and Cribbs at third.  Call Hara's play an error.  Mahoney draws a walk and again the bags are full.

jetz

Vavra with a chance to add to the big inning, but he bounces short to second for out #3.  End of 1, Valpo leads Navy 5-0.

jetz

Navy's #5 hitter bounces to Vavra who makes the routine play for out #1 in the top of 2.  Valpo will play a second game against Yale tonight at 7pm EDT.  The game was moved back an hour from the original schedule.  Not sure why.  Lundeen, a tall lefty freshman gets a strikeout looking for out #2.  The next batter bounces the first pitch to Mahoney, and the Mids go down 1-2-3.  5-0 Valpo mid 2.

jetz

Bain steps in.  He bounces to second for out #1.  This complex is five full diamonds with standard high school bleachers and chain link.  All five diamonds are in use for now in the Russ Matt Invitational.  That's the name of this two month long college series.  It's a half hour from the rental villas where the team stays in Winter haven.  Loeffler lines a ball back to the pitcher, who makes an "instinct" catch.  Two down.  Morman draws a walk.  Martin is HBP.  Two on for Johnson.

jetz

Johnson flies to shallow center, and the inning is over.  Valpo leads 5-0 after two.  Valpo has about 25 family members here watching, as do the Midshipmen.  Each of the Mids owes the Navy at least four years of service after graduatiion, so you have to admire the dedication from these D1 players who have no chance of getting drafted.  As a former Navy guy, my hat's off to them...

jetz

Lundeen gets a backwards K on a bender, and there's one away.  The next Mid bounces to Martin at third, who makes the play for the second out.  Johnson corrals a routine fly ball in right to retire the side.  Mid 3, 5-zip Valpo.  No music or PA here, which is kind of refreshing...

jetz

Cribbs sheds his catcher's gear and heads to the plate to start the Valpo third.  He fans on a 90 mph heater for the first out.

jetz

Hara steps in.  The juco transfer has struggled at the plate this year, batting just .186 coming in to today.  He whiffs for the second out.  Mahoney will bat for the third time today.  He pops up down the left field line and it's caught by the left fielder for the third out.  5-0 Valpo after 3.

jetz

Lundeen is a freshman making his second collegiate start.  He wears jersey #42.  FB is at about 86.  He gets the batter to bounce weakly to Mahoney, who charges and makes and good throw for the out.  One away.