• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Northwestern job

Started by Chairback, March 13, 2013, 10:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 18, 2013, 09:54:39 PMThe redistribution of wealth issue is like the abortion issue

Well, we can at least agree that it's a moral issue!

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 18, 2013, 09:57:35 PM
Quote from: wh on March 18, 2013, 09:54:39 PMThe redistribution of wealth issue is like the abortion issue

Well, we can at least agree that it's a moral issue!

:)

valpotx

Just look at all of the incorrect information provided in that article, and it will give you an idea of how relevant it is  ;).  Bryce isn't dumb enough to go to NW
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Quote from: valpotx on March 19, 2013, 10:30:56 AM
Just look at all of the incorrect information provided in that article, and it will give you an idea of how relevant it is  ;).  Bryce isn't dumb enough to go to NW
First Grantland's "take" on Valpo in the tournament, now Sippin' on Purple... this is how I feel about this kind of "journalism"
Billy Madison - Ultimate Insult (Academic Decathlon)[Forum Weapon][How To Troll][Ignorance Is Bliss]
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: KL31NY on March 19, 2013, 11:39:03 AMSippin' on Purple...

i actually did like this one paragraph, with the exception of the edits i had to make :):
QuoteMany speculate that Drew could be the "basketball Pat Fitzgerald" for Northwestern, since he's only 38, and he's exciting to be around and watch. The only hitch: he's already the basketball Pat Fitzgerald for Valpo. Much as Fitz played for Northwestern and is freakishly devoted to his school, Drew chose Valpo over other options, chose to be an assistant coach there, and now has the head job. His whole life has been at Valpo - his dad took the coaching job in 1988, when he was 14 - and if he wants to he can coach at Valpo until he wants to retire, like his father did. His playing career fizzled after he left the place he loves, and there's a decent chance his coaching career could too. Pat Fitzgerald somewhere else would just be any other coach: so much of his fire and drive and what makes him so popular amongst recruits is likely the fact that he's clearly insane about Northwestern University; I'd imagine Drew has a similar effect. Sure, many recruits would be eager to play for an excitable young Bryce Drew at Northwestern, but he might have less success pulling that than he does doing the same schtick at Valpo.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

I didn't think much of the writeup either, but most of my problems were with shallow opinions, not factual errors.

FWalum

I agree that I am not so worried about Northwestern, but would be worried about Wake Forest.  When Skip Prosser was at WFU my daughter, who was a student at Wake Forest and did some kinesiology studies on the basketball team, use to jog occasionally with Skip Prosser and talked to him about Valpo and Homer finding out that they were friends.  When Skip passed away I communicated briefly with Homer about Skip and what a loss this was to the coaching fraternity.  Wake Forest IMO is exactly the type of school Bryce would find a comfortable fit for his family and faith.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

AL HAMNIK: Bryce Drew's heart with the VU Crusaders for now
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/columnists/al-hamnik/al-hamnik-bryce-drew-s-heart-with-the-vu-crusaders/article_4f083938-9cee-538b-a302-0083b7c875f7.html

QuoteDo you leave a job where the administration loves you, fans love you, recruits want to play for you?

Do you hop the fence for greener pastures?

This was not the time or place to ask, but I had to.

Will you be coaching Valparaiso in 2013-14?

"I love Valpo right now. I haven't even thought about next year," Bryce said. "Our whole focus was trying to get our guys to win this game."
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Geez, now these reporters are thinking that NW actually has a chance.  They are NOT a better situation than what he currently has, other than $, as you can see by them having 0 NCAA appearances.  Bryce is going to get much better offers from programs that can actually do something in their conference.  The way he speaks in this article, it doesn't look good that he will be coming back, 'I got to coach...'  We will see how it pans out, but my thinking is that he might not want to come back and chance having a losing season with a lot of unknowns at the NCAA level.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2013, 10:28:43 AMThe way he speaks in this article, it doesn't look good that he will be coming back, 'I got to coach...'  We will see how it pans out, but my thinking is that he might not want to come back and chance having a losing season with a lot of unknowns at the NCAA level.

I just don't see how the quotes from this article say that Bryce is not coming back.

"I love Valpo. I love this team. I got to coach at Valpo on the same floor named after my dad. (I think this is an acknowledgement that there will be opportunities with other schools and a decision on whether to return to Valpo still has to be made.) I'm really happy here right now," Bryce told me after the 65-54 loss to Michigan State.

Will you be coaching Valparaiso in 2013-14?

"I love Valpo right now. I haven't even thought about next year," Bryce said. "Our whole focus was trying to get our guys to win this game."

Those are honest answers. The decision about next year is not even close to being made. I'm not saying that Bryce is for sure staying at Valpo. Like a wise person who makes wise decisions about his future Bryce will weigh all the options and make the choice that is right for him.

HC

He may leave, but I'd be willing to bet it won't be to Northwestern.

valporun

All of this speculation reminds me of the time that Coach K was asked after an NCAA tourney game about the prospects of one of his players jumping to the NBA, and he addressed as more not the appropriate time to discuss or consider it. Bryce seemed to handle this question in the same way, and I respect that. I'm not sure that Bryce should jump just yet.

What I do wonder is how much of the schedule impact was due to the contracts for home-and-home matchups made while Homer was still the coach, plus all of the Bracketbuster matchups that were pushed back, including the Loyola Marymount game that is yet to be played, or the EKU game. Plus, a lot of the scheduling was in those pesky tournaments in November or December, where we were a part of the field regionally, but not in the final four concept, so we were dealt some terrible matchups in those as well. I concede the Oakland, IPFW, and IUPUI games were more for having a close game, travel or not, for the sake of playing a game after a break or tournament. When we initially started playing IPFW, it was in their transitional period, so we contracted them a couple of games, nothing wrong with it. That was always a Homer thing to do, hence all the games against Belmont. Bryce has a favorable record, but let's see how he does next season with a fresh slate of games, even with the home matchups with St. Louis, Murray St., and New Mexico. See what he can do with that before saying he's ready to jump to a better school or bigger money.

vu72

Not sure whether Northwestern would be of interest or not.  It obviously is a very highly regarded school in the BIG.  Scott went for the money and challenge at the absolutely worst place and has done a great job not only turning the ship but refloating it as well.  People who assume he is one of the lowest paid in our conference have no knowledge of the facts and even public annual reports may not show the entire package as Homer, for example, did receive deferred comp on several occasions.

I would think that Bryce would opt for a religious school versus a Mississippi State as an example.  It could be any number of high profile schools, like one of the Catholic 9 plus one conference or as fwalum suggests, a private school like Wake Forest, but then, if a high profile academic school has his interest then Northwestern would certainly fill the ticket and be a huge challenge.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Bryce's answer to the New York Times (Tim Rohan) felt slightly more encouraging
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/sports/ncaabasketball/now-coach-bryce-drew-is-hoping-valparaiso-makes-another-ncaa-run.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0
Asked this week if he would ever leave Valparaiso, Drew said, "I'm very, very happy being here."

And, the NYT always works hard on clever endings to stories, so maybe it's worth quoting
One fan, Pat Kelly, watched practice from the front row, wearing a brown Valparaiso sweatshirt.

"They've got a good shooting team, a veteran team," Kelly said. "If things go their way, they can give Michigan State a game."

He shrugged and added, "They might have a shot."

StlVUFan

WSCR talked to BTN's Tim Doyle today about a few things, one of which was the Northwestern job.  Bryce's name never came up.  It was mostly about Chris Collins, Tommy Hammaker, and the coach for Bucknell as conceivable possibilities.

VULB#62

If you're referring to Tommy Amaker, of Hahvid, he's had a stint in the B1G at Michigan.  He's proven he can recruit and coach academically qualified, skilled BB talent.  Been coaching since 1988 starting, incidentally as a Duke assistant (9 years).  HBB coach at Seton Hall (97-01), Michigan (01-07) and Harvard (07 to now).Collins has yet to see an head coaching experience but has a good pedigree.

StlVUFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 22, 2013, 03:56:45 PM
If you're referring to Tommy Amaker, of Hahvid, he's had a stint in the B1G at Michigan.  He's proven he can recruit and coach academically qualified, skilled BB talent.  Been coaching since 1988 starting, incidentally as a Duke assistant (9 years).  HBB coach at Seton Hall (97-01), Michigan (01-07) and Harvard (07 to now).Collins has yet to see an head coaching experience but has a good pedigree.
Yes, sorry for my lame spelling ;)

They talked about that very issue with Collins.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 22, 2013, 03:14:38 PMTommy Hammaker

He would want to bring his top assistant, Bob Schlammer.

usc4valpo

Amaker may look at a better opportunity than NW, especially now that his stock rose big after Harvard win over lost Lobos.

Again, I cannot understand why Collins wants to take a job at NW. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 22, 2013, 09:35:54 PMAmaker may look at a better opportunity than NW

he's got it already.  at harvard. 

he flopped on a bigger stage. already. 

and harvard can hardly be outbid...

valpo84

BTW we beat Amaker in 98-99 at Hoosier Classic something at Hoosier Dome. Lubos Barton's 1st weekend and we swept Seton Hall and South Carolina and he went nuts.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

Didn't realize that Collins was a local Chicago kid and recruited for Duke in the neighborhood.  That's great foundation.

valporun

His dad, 76ers coach Doug Collins, was an Illinois native too. Collins always liked Illinois and the court at Illinois State University is named after him. Helps Northwestern to have someone that understands the Chicago basketball scene, best of luck to him.