• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/21, 12:15pm ET: NCAA First Game: (14) Valpo v. (3) Michigan State Game Thread

Started by Zoltar, March 17, 2013, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

Quote from: agibson on March 20, 2013, 09:36:19 PM
From one of Oren's game day pieces
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/ncaa-tournament/mens-tournament/wood-provides-bond-between-valparaiso-and-michigan-state/article_1dd1853c-a662-5352-9983-2ecc314b6c6d.html

Wood isn't the only Michigan State player with ties to the Crusaders. Sophomore walk-on Keenan Wetzel attended Valparaiso two years ago but was never cleared to practice with the team. Wetzel transferred to East Lansing last season and has been a valued member of the scout team for the last two years.

"Everyone on our team respects those guys," Wetzel said. "I'm friends with a couple of them and there is no way that we're going to overlook them."

Had anyone heard of this Wetzel guy?  What's the story?

I do remember the name, he was supposed to be a pretty good walk-on a couple of years ago and then disappeared from the roster never to be heard from (until now) again.   I don't know the story other than he was never cleared to practice and evidently transferred to Michigan State. 

ValpoGenXer

Why so many fans who know Valpo's offensive style inside and out continue to provide detailed observations about how MSU could beat us defensively on this VERY public message forum is beyond me.  Are you a fan or a scout for MSU?

LaPorteAveApostle

GenXer, probably because a) the MSU coaches should have better things to do than read our message board and b) if they are earning their inflated salaries they have already figured these things out from watching video.

I agree with you to the extent that SSSSHHH in general until the game is being played, though.  It's a bit like telling Verlander, "hey, man, do you know you have a no-hitter going? ...it's totally sweet"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

Quote from: HC on March 20, 2013, 09:09:31 PM
WSU put a bigger guy on Buggs in the 2nd half. It worked for a while.

Good point, HC.  They used 6'2" Bramanti in the first half and I think they tried 6'6" Young in the second.  Is that right?

I wasn't surprised that Crews employed that strategy in the SLU game because he did the same thing in Evansville - Butler games in the early '90's.  He would assign 7'1" Sasha Hupmann to Butler's Tim Bowen (a 5'9" guard very similar to Buggs) and dare Bowen to shoot from 15 feet or beyond.  Driving (like Buggs did successfully against WSU) wasn't an option because a seven-footer was planted in the middle of the lane.

Not sure what Izzo will do.  Very similar situation to the MSU-Butler Final Four matchup when Butler had a point guard (Nored) who wasn't a perimeter threat.  I should know how they played it then, but I can't really remember.

LaPorteAveApostle

Friends, I wanted to ask for your advice/help. 

Briefly:  I no longer have a DVR.  I must play a funeral at 1 PM Eastern tomorrow.  This is a conundrum.

Does anyone know of any online sources that are not live streams?  I.e., a pausable feed, like the B1G Network has with football games?  I know how to get live streams, but obviously that is no help.

Watching during the funeral is out.  No choir loft, plus I often cheer loudly at inopportune moments (such as baby sleeping) so I am hardly dependable.

Plus I plan on doing a lot of cheering :)

any ideas?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 20, 2013, 09:56:39 PM

Briefly:  I no longer have a DVR.  I must play a funeral at 1 PM Eastern tomorrow.  This is a conundrum.

Does anyone know of any online sources that are not live streams?  I.e., a pausable feed, like the B1G Network has with football games?  I know how to get live streams, but obviously that is no help.

Watching during the funeral is out.  No choir loft, plus I often cheer loudly at inopportune moments (such as baby sleeping) so I am hardly dependable.

any ideas?

I feel your pain.  No ideas.  Question: are you part of a military honor guard?  I work for the military.  Perhaps you can PM me on the subject.  Good luck tomorrow!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ValpoGenXer

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 20, 2013, 09:51:38 PMGenXer, probably because a) the MSU coaches should have better things to do than read our message board and b) if they are earning their inflated salaries they have already figured these things out from watching video. I agree with you to the extent that SSSSHHH in general until the game is being played, though. It's a bit like telling Verlander, "hey, man, do you know you have a no-hitter going? ...it's totally sweet"

Sort of.  I saw a post a few back that completely described in great detail how I would go about defending Valpo.  It wasn't necessarily just "play off Buggs", which everyone knows by now.  I'm just wondering why anyone would think it was a good idea to bring this philosophy out on a Valpo fan forum the night before the biggest game in 9 years...  Unless they aren't a Valpo fan?

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 20, 2013, 09:56:39 PM

any ideas?

I'd check out CBSSports.com.  It's already showing a replay available for the JMU-Long Island game played a few hours ago.  You should be able to catch a replay of the Valpo game there ... unfortunately, you'll need to navigate through their main webpage to get there ... SPOILER ALERT!!!

FWIW, I'm now watching the JMU-LIU replay just two hours after it finished through CBSSports.com ... I hope this is available to you tomorrow.

agibson

What's wrong with
http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness
?

There's the down side that it's a little hard to get the replay started without seeing the score.  But, if you can tolerate that, it might be OK...

I think, in past seasons, the replays were even up fairly promptly.

I doubt I'll be able to watch the game "properly" during the day.  But, I suspect I will have it on now and then, in the background, etc.  And devote more attention to it if it gets interesting.

I'll have to come back to it in more detail later... but it might be Saturday night :(

wh

Quote from: ValpoGenXer on March 20, 2013, 09:47:10 PM
Why so many fans who know Valpo's offensive style inside and out continue to provide detailed observations about how MSU could beat us defensively on this VERY public message forum is beyond me.  Are you a fan or a scout for MSU?

Just when you think you've heard it all...

Please tell me you're not serious about anything you just said.

ValpoGenXer

If you don't think MSU assistants read this board you are delusional.  It's not like Valpo is a known commodity to a B1G - they'll take any scouting they can get.  That's just a fact.

zvillehaze

Quote from: agibson on March 20, 2013, 10:16:17 PM
What's wrong with
http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness
?

That's what I was referring to, since the links on CBSSports.com take you there.  I agree that it will be hard to get through all those links without seeing the score, so maybe LaPorte could have a friend cue the replay up for him.

zvillehaze

Quote from: ValpoGenXer on March 20, 2013, 10:30:37 PM
If you don't think MSU assistants read this board you are delusional.  It's not like Valpo is a known commodity to a B1G - they'll take any scouting they can get.  That's just a fact.

FWIW, I've received several calls from Dane Fife, but I recognized his number and let them go to voicemail.   :-X

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 20, 2013, 11:12:56 PM

FWIW, I've received several calls from Dane Fife, but I recognized his number and let them go to voicemail.   :-X

We all appreciate that.  ;)

You know, I was just thinking...One time earlier in the season after a particularly poor shooting game, I commented that I don't know why anyone would ever play anything but zone against us.  You don't suppose Dane read that, do you?   :)

a3uge

AHEEMMMEMEEEMMM...

It's really important that Michigan State guard Buggs very closely on the perimeter, as he is our best 3-point shooter. It's also best to foul Broekhoff at every chance because he's a poor free-throw shooter. Don't foul Buggs, he's like a 95% free throw shooter. Leave Bogan open for the 3-pointer because he can't buy a bucket from out there. Finally, Van Wijk can't make a layup to save his life. Force the ball down low to him and back off, because he'll definitely miss those open layups when given a chance.

Also, it might be wise to call timeouts periodically after a Michigan State run because Drew rarely uses his timeouts and the MSU players will be very gassed at that point. It's a proven stat that when Bryce doesn't use a timeout in the entire second half, the Crusaders are 22-0. So call timeouts often.

agibson

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on March 21, 2013, 12:04:41 AMNew York Times piece on the team.
QuoteAsked this week if he would ever leave Valparaiso, Drew said, "I'm very, very happy being here."
;D

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.  If someone happens to think of it, I'd appreciate a PM with a link to the game to avoid spoilers, but I don't want anyone to have to compromise their own viewing experience.  Thanks.

EDIT:  maybe won't be able to without a cable subscription? oh well, serves me right.

LaPorteAveApostle

AXE body spray trolling MSU:

and the piece o'resistance:

(one Michigan fan comments, "maybe not a good idea to alienate half your clientele", which, hilarious)

LaPorteAveApostle

also, Luke Winn, who's been banging the national drum for the upset as loudly as anyone, placing us #9 on picks to spring the upset:

agibson

The replays of the play-in games, and even their live broadcasts, didn't seem to require a login.

But there was a login button , so maybe that changes to day.

Unfortunately, it's all one big flash app.  So, I'm not sure it's possible to get a direct link to a game.

You'd have to get someone to use your computer to cue (queue?) it for you.

vu72

Funny story this morning, which shows how far and wide "the shot" has gone.  I work at a military base in Houston.  I drive up to the security gate and the guard says "how you doin"? I say "terrific, the NCAA tourney starts today and my alma mater, Valparaiso, opens it up against Michigan State".  He looks a little surprised, apparently not being a huge basketball fan.  He then says "oh yeah, what ever happened to that guy Drew" (while saying this he puts is arms up as if to take a shot) I tell him he's now the coach, and he says (surprised) "so he took over for the father?" and I say "oh yeah, don't bet against Valpo"!!  As I drive off into the sunset, eh, parking lot.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Does the fact that we have BCS conference transfers on the team help with the "not being intimidated" factor for this team?  Bogan, Boggs and Capo played against these types of teams during the conference seasons so hopefully they can impart to the rest of the guys that we have no reason to play scared.  One hour and 10 min to tip off and I have already chewed my nails down to the cuticle...
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72