• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/21, 12:15pm ET: NCAA First Game: (14) Valpo v. (3) Michigan State Game Thread

Started by Zoltar, March 17, 2013, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

It's not a very deep analysis.

But, Luke Winn writing for si.com likes us.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130317/2013-selection-sunday-ncaa-tournament/?sct=hp_t11_a1&eref=sihp

Upset I Like: No. 14 Valparaiso over No. 3 Michigan State. I know, it's in Auburn Hills, and I know, Tom Izzo is not the best coach to pick against in the tournament ... but the Spartans have been inconsistent offensively, and Valparaiso is the No. 1 most experienced team in the field of 68. The Crusaders start five seniors, their entire rotation consists of upperclassmen, and they're coached by miracle-worker Bryce Drew. That's a great Cinderella formula.

KL31NY

A Semi-Insane, Semi-Logical Classification of All 68 Tournament Teams

We're #57 w/out much of an explanation, insight, or anything for that matter. Plus, they use a picture of Dority in our section of the article. Plus plus, the word ****ing is used a couple times for teams underneath our slot. Is Grantland ESPN's version of Bleacher Report or Deadspin, because this is lacking any substance. I only found out because my brother posted the link to my wall.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 18, 2013, 08:23:50 PM
Quote from: KL31NY on March 18, 2013, 07:41:35 PMIs Grantland ESPN's version of Bleacher Report or Deadspin

yes, albeit with better writers.

Huh.  I _only_ know the name because Charlie Pierce, regular guest comedian/commentator (and non-sports ignoramus) on NPR's "Only a Game" apparently writes there.  Never actually visited.

wh

My apologies if this has already been posted somewhere:

NCAA Selection Show Viewing Party

NCAA Selection Show Viewing Party

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Smj on March 19, 2013, 07:44:55 AMGood MSU interview

Bad MSU spelling

"Michigan State Basketball vs. Valpariaso Preview"

they will know how to spell it come thursday...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

At the risk of being "redundant", as I've failing to search high and low as to whether or not this had beenposted previously, here is Coach Izzo's view on our team.

http://www.spartansportsnetwork.com/

To listen to him, you'd think they were playing against Oscar Robertson and some other dudes.  Oh, Erik Buggs has also got their attention.

Clearly, their plan is to stop Erik from getting into the lane (good luck with that) and to keep the ball out of Ryan's hands.  No mention of Kevin or Will or any of the other guys who can score.  They have noticed our experience and it also has their attention.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

It was going to be tough for VU no matter where they ended up, so it's a bonus that's it's close enough for the fans to make the trek. They just need to play lose, have some fun, and see what happens. If this tournament has taught me anything over the years, it taught me that, anything can happen. It wasn't so long ago, when no one even heard of Gonzaga, or could tell you where Butler was from. Keep the faith, and enjoy the ride, no matter how long it last. Good luck Crusaiders. Make us proud!

jack

LOL - Ummmm....Yeah......check that...."Loose" Thanks for the correction!

wh

Quote from: vu72 on March 19, 2013, 12:42:40 PM
At the risk of being "redundant", as I've failing to search high and low as to whether or not this had beenposted previously, here is Coach Izzo's view on our team.

If I'm not sure whether something has already been posted, I just apologize up front for possibly being redundant.  So far, that's been enough to keep our resident "masters of minutia" at bay.  ;)

covufan

Quote from: truth219 on March 17, 2013, 06:31:40 PMWhat are the odds we can beat mich state...id say 1 out of 10

According to Massey, 21% http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8361&s=193573

According to Real Time RPI, we lose 62-59  http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_281_Men.html

According to Sagarin, we lose by 13.

I'd say the odds are much better than when we last faced MSU in the NCAA tournament.

talksalot

We've played Sparty twice, lost by an average of 28.5 (30 then 27).  This year, we've played in this type of arena with this type of crowd, once:  the Pit in Albuquerque.... scares the crap out of me...

anyway, my OTHER bracket has Miami winning it all.   without a bunch of research, I believe we have a history of losing to the national champion one year before they win it all.

BTW... I'll be in the ballroom watching the game... got too much real work to do after being in Florida for a week...

agibson

Quote from: covufan on March 19, 2013, 03:42:26 PMAccording to Real Time RPI, we lose 62-59  http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_281_Men.html

Wild!  Something seems broken there.

Fairly consistent ~10.5 point dogs in Vegas?

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on March 19, 2013, 04:57:42 PMBTW... I'll be in the ballroom watching the game...

Too bad!

But, does that mean a viewing party at VU has been announced, or is in the works?

vuweathernerd

Thank you NCAA for scheduling the game smack dab in the middle of my squadron change of command ceremony...  So unfortunately, I won't be in the chat. I plan on DVRing the game and watching it when I get home from work.

LaPorteAveApostle

nerd, i'm in the same boat.

except replace "my squadron change of command ceremony" with "a funeral (not my own)"

and

instead of "DVRing" put "not knowing what the hell to do without a dvr any more"

LaPorteAveApostle

Freep:
Ex-Michigan State, -Valparaiso hoopster Brandon Wood has advice for both teams
http://www.freep.com/article/20130319/SPORTS07/303190107/

Efficient offense why Valparaiso can be potent vs. Michigan State (with videos)
http://www.freep.com/article/20130319/SPORTS07/303190105/

No, that doesn't mean "we can be potent with videos!"  the lede:
QuoteApparently, Valparaiso is a combination of Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin, with a forward who is a fusion of Ohio State's Deshaun Thomas and Indiana's Christian Watford, and a center who reminds Derrick Nix of Gonzaga star Kelly Olynyk.
There are valid reasons for concern, and not just on the Valpo side ...
"Boy, we've not played against anybody that's started five seniors ever, that I can remember," Izzo said. "This is unique."
And that's really the scariest thing about Valparaiso, the offensive efficiency. The Crusaders are sixth in the nation in field-goal percentage (48.9), share the ball and have multiple shooters other than Broekhoff.

"They're like Wisconsin," Payne said, "but they go a lot harder than Wisconsin."

It's no secret how the Spartans will defend the Crusaders. Izzo plays man-to-man defense at all times, though he may have to use a small lineup more often to allow Branden Dawson to guard Broekhoff for stretches.

It's less certain what Drew will do against MSU.

mj

If we want to pull the upset I think the magic number is 10. We need to have less than 10 turnovers and hit more than 10 3s. A quick scan of the box scores tells me that it's been done at least once this season.

Also, I think we'll know how this game plays out in the first 5 minutes. If we miss a couple 3s, turn the ball over and allow MSU to run in the first 5 minutes we could be in for a long morning. I think the guys will give them a fight on Thursday though.
I believe that we will win.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on March 19, 2013, 01:27:19 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 19, 2013, 12:42:40 PM

If I'm not sure whether something has already been posted, I just apologize up front for possibly being redundant.  So far, that's been enough to keep our resident "masters of minutia" at bay.  ;)

Do you know the singular of minutia? Minutia is plural for all who may not have known that.

valpotx

Yes, please plan man-to-man defense against us, so that Buggs is not left wide open!
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2013, 11:54:50 PMDo you know the singular of minutia? Minutia is plural for all who may not have known that.

Actually, minutia IS singular...minutiae is the plural for all who may not possess a degree in dead languages.

LaPorteAveApostle