• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Big Men coming?

Started by rlh, May 14, 2011, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

Not sure if I have said this before, but his story seems very similar to Tim Duncan's. Not that he will be Duncan, but that he started his hoops career later and was a bit under the radar.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpofan56

Quote from: valpo84 on June 08, 2011, 09:21:20 PM
Not sure if I have said this before, but his story seems very similar to Tim Duncan's. Not that he will be Duncan, but that he started his hoops career later and was a bit under the radar.

This is ridiculous.  You could make this statement about hundreds of guys, all of which never have been/will be Tim Duncan.  Besides, Duncan ended up in the ACC which doesn't exactly scream "under the radar."

valpo84

I said their stories are similar, we will have to see about Fernandez' game. Duncan was not heavily recruited out of HS (he had a couple of offers from BCS and then lower mid-majors v Fernandez' couple of BCS offers and mid-majors), from places not well known for their basketball (St Croix v Jamaica), learned the game in HS (Duncan started in 9th grade after his Olympic swimming dreams were shattered by a hurrican destroying the only pool in St. Croix) and was a cerebral student and athlete.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpofan56

Quote from: valpo84 on June 09, 2011, 09:55:34 PM
I said their stories are similar, we will have to see about Fernandez' game. Duncan was not heavily recruited out of HS (he had a couple of offers from BCS and then lower mid-majors v Fernandez' couple of BCS offers and mid-majors), from places not well known for their basketball (St Croix v Jamaica), learned the game in HS (Duncan started in 9th grade after his Olympic swimming dreams were shattered by a hurrican destroying the only pool in St. Croix) and was a cerebral student and athlete.

And I'm still saying that this could be said about a lot of recruits. (ie. Moussa Mbaye).

valpopal

Not exactly a "big man," but here is a news story today that reports Manny Arop, a 6'6" Gonzaga transfer, after narrowing his choices to two schools, has selected ISU over Valpo:

http://tribstar.com/sports/x1478025573/Arop-chooses-ISU-mens-basketball

StlVUFan

Valpo doesn't have Sports Management major?????

Quote"I think ISU has an endless list of things I like, but there's two main reasons why I chose it," said Arop in a phone interview on Tuesday.

"First, it's a great basketball opportunity. We have a great coach and I have great teammates. The second part is academics. ISU has my major [Sports Management] and I can transfer easily into their program," Arop explained.

Or is it: "ISU's entrance requirements (academics-wise) are more lenient than Valpo's"?

vuweathernerd

we do have sports management, i'm about 90% sure. gotta be the entrance requirements.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

A quick scan of this year's roster shows 6 players with sports mgmt. majors - Rogers, Witt, Skelton, Little, Buggs and Harris.

mj

QuoteOr is it: "ISU's entrance requirements (academics-wise) are more lenient than Valpo's"?

I hate to hijack the thread about Valpo's academic standards but I really didn't want to start another thread. Basically I've heard that Saudi Arabia has recently decided that Valpo isn't rigorous enough and has decided to cut back the number of students they send. My girlfriend knows a guy who did his undergraduate at Valpo, applied and got accepted into a masters program. But when he told Saudi Arabia, they told him he couldn't go there again because of their concern about the academics.

Granted this is all hearsay but I think it's a potential concern. I love Valpo but when I hear people go on about how great the academics are I have to pause. There are some excellent programs, professors, and students. But I also witnessed a lot of mediocre academic performance as well. And this was just a few years ago.
I believe that we will win.

valporun

Quote from: wh on June 17, 2011, 08:20:32 PM
A quick scan of this year's roster shows 6 players with sports mgmt. majors - Rogers, Witt, Skelton, Little, Buggs and Harris.

Hopefully these guys have the business sense to manage the training centers and AAU teams of the future. Most professional sports organizations are saturated with former athletes who had to take on internship after internship to build the resume for the future.

BulldogBully

ya a guy from La Lumiere thats what i saw

vu72

Quote from: BulldogBully on June 21, 2011, 10:31:40 PM
ya a guy from La Lumiere thats what i saw

What the heck does this mean??   :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

BulldogBully

umm a guy that is like 7'1 is coming to valpo???

valpopal

I believe that if Vashil Fernandez is coming to Valpo, he should be arriving about now for the beginning of the second summer session. Keep an eye out for a very tall figure walking across campus this week.

uguy

He is here and should be playing this upcoming season. Registered for summer class. Could give us a true big man in the middle. I understand he will need some work.

sectionee

valpopal

Quote from: uguy on June 29, 2011, 01:12:41 PM
He is here and should be playing this upcoming season. Registered for summer class. Could give us a true big man in the middle. I understand he will need some work.

I had heard he was going to arrive, most likely today, as my previous post hinted. Glad to hear that confirmed.

hoopfan22

Anyone seen him play? This is good news.

sectionee

One of the other new guys confirms he is on campus and has been playing some pickup games with the guys.

Crusader03

Quote from: uguy on June 29, 2011, 01:12:41 PM

Awesome news...we really need an athletic big man and Vashil fits the bill

sectionee

One of the other new guys confirms Vashil is there and has been playing pickup games with the guys!  Here is quick post on Vashil I made, http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2011/06/big-man-on-campus.html.

Crusader03

Quote from: sectionee on June 29, 2011, 09:10:37 PM
One of the other new guys confirms Vashil is there and has been playing pickup games with the guys!

Any reports on how he is playing?

Crusader03

Article about Vashil from Jamaican source

Not sure if this has been posted, but a nice look at where Vashil is coming from and what he might bring to our program