• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. UWM

Started by jetz, March 29, 2013, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

I'm not in Chicago today, guys.  No updates from me as I have to be at work all weekend.  Right now I'm not getting GT either....anyone else? 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

Mocha9

I can't get GT to work!  ???

Valposter

Game Tracker is down today.  You can follow pxp on twitter @ValpoBaseball1.  No score thru 3 innings.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Mocha9

Just got a text down 0-1 bottom of the 5th.  :(

Thx Valposter, i'll check it out on twitter.

jetz

Yeah I'm following on Twitter.  Their SID Chris Zills tweeted that he was working on GT til about the 3rd but I think they gave it up.  We have stranded nine baserunners thru 5 innings and now trail 2-0.  Can't get the big hit again...

jetz

I wasn't able to be there today, but I just finished following Brad Collignon's Twitter updates.  Gametracker was down, so here's the salient points:

We lost 2-0.  The UWM pitcher, Jake Long, threw his third consecutive complete game shutout.  We had plenty of chances to score, however.  We stranded 12 base runners on the day and from the sounds of things outhit UWM.  We never got the big hit.

Cole Webb is now the Friday starter.  The coaches have named DeBoo the Saturday guy with Worm going on Sunday. 

Bain started in left.  Burns started at third.  Martin is out with a hamstring injury.  Mahoney had a minor knee issue last game, but started at short today.

I'm sure it's frustrating for all involved, especially the pitchers, when the offense can't seem to get going.  The good news is that, by the sounds of it, we are capable of beating these guys with their ace on the hill.  Hope the bats get going soon.  Also hope they can get GT up and running tomorrow.

valpotx

Man, we are in a lot of trouble if we don't get these bats going.  We are now 9-16, 1-5 in HL.  If we can't plate runs, our pitchers pitch with so much more pressure each inning
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on March 30, 2013, 08:59:17 PM
Man, we are in a lot of trouble if we don't get these bats going.  We are now 9-16, 1-5 in HL.  If we can't plate runs, our pitchers pitch with so much more pressure each inning

Totally agree. Plus, we need an attitude adjustment.  We need guys who play hard, and right now we're not.

valpotx

Hopefully, Monday's PNC game will allow our hitters to gain some confidence!  Though the pitching will be easier than they normally face, it will allow them to get back to the fundamentals, and work on lining the ball into the gaps.  We should blow them out, regardless of whether our starters get 1-2 ABs, or we play mostly reserves.  After that, a win against ND can give us a great boost going into our first home series against UIC!  Let's get back in the conference race!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

blackpantheruwm

I wouldn't get too down, VuCru. We're on a  :censored: roll.  If we go 2-1 or sweep YSU next weekend, it'd take a colossal screwup for us to lose the title. 7-2 and we haven't played at home yet.

On a side note, why the hell was this series played at UIC? Our field conditions sucked, fine, but let's just switch the series. This should have been at Valpo, and the series scheduled to be down there should have been moved up to Milwaukee. Instead, we lost the home field advantage in the season series against the preseason picks for champ.

historyman

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on April 01, 2013, 01:43:22 AMI wouldn't get too down, VuCru. We're on a  :censored: roll.  If we go 2-1 or sweep YSU next weekend, it'd take a colossal screwup for us to lose the title. 7-2 and we haven't played at home yet. On a side note, why the hell was this series played at UIC? Our field conditions sucked, fine, but let's just switch the series. This should have been at Valpo, and the series scheduled to be down there should have been moved up to Milwaukee. Instead, we lost the home field advantage in the season series against the preseason picks for champ.

I think you would have found that Valpo's Em Bauer Field was in worse condition than Milwaukee's field.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: historyman on April 01, 2013, 04:16:37 AM
Quote from: blackpantheruwm on April 01, 2013, 01:43:22 AMI wouldn't get too down, VuCru. We're on a  :censored: roll.  If we go 2-1 or sweep YSU next weekend, it'd take a colossal screwup for us to lose the title. 7-2 and we haven't played at home yet. On a side note, why the hell was this series played at UIC? Our field conditions sucked, fine, but let's just switch the series. This should have been at Valpo, and the series scheduled to be down there should have been moved up to Milwaukee. Instead, we lost the home field advantage in the season series against the preseason picks for champ.

I think you would have found that Valpo's Em Bauer Field was in worse condition than Milwaukee's field.

We share our field with high school JV teams.

valporun

Was Milwaukee's field being used over the weekend for high school games/tournament action? Also, I'm guessing UIC's field was being used because it is field turf, so it was easier to get ready for a weekend series. There are a lot of facilities in Chicago that are hosting teams from the Northern Illinois area because our fields are about as unplayable as it seems Em Bauer is. Chicago definitely invested their fields into turf because they could get more games played this way. Heck, even the independent Frontier League team here in Rockford can't host high school or college games currently because the field is just too hard to get prepared to play on, and they were supposed to start having games there two weeks ago. This winter has been hard on the Great Lakes portion of the Midwest.

Enrico Palazzo

Chris Zills showed me a picture of "the Hank" just before they left for Chicago. Let's just say it could've passed for Hank Aaron Lake before Hank Aaron Field. 

Emory G. Bauer wasn't much better.  The infield dirt doesn't take water well, and the walk-ups from the dugout to the plate were extremely soft.  Another site was discussed, but Chicago was the only option that worked.  There's a night and day difference between the surfaces of Valpo/Milwaukee and UIC's. 

historyman

So Hank Aaron was a lake, Em Bauer was holding water, Les Miller was draining well and Curtis Granderson will handle it better than Les Miller when it gets built.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on April 02, 2013, 10:14:02 PM
So Hank Aaron was a lake, Em Bauer was holding water, Les Miller was draining well and Curtis Granderson will handle it better than Les Miller when it gets built.

It's good to know Les Miller's prostate is working well enough for Valpo & Milwaukee to use him.  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on April 02, 2013, 11:27:52 PMLes Miller's prostrate
then give him a hand up, for cripey
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

I like these fields'  water rentention being in question to the analogy of someone's prostate or being like a camel. I seriously hope temps start to warm up, and in terms of rain, we get a drizzle here and there, no downpours!! We need baseball games to be played.

talksalot

Thank you ValpoRun for spelling that gland correctly.   As a PROSTATE cancer survivor, I can tell you there is a difference between that and being PROSTRATE:

1.  to cast (oneself) face down on the ground in humility, submission, or adoration.
2.  to lay flat, as on the ground.
3.  to throw down level with the ground.
4.  to overthrow, overcome, or reduce to helplessness.
5.  to reduce to physical weakness or exhaustion.

(snide, cynical comment coming... ok ... altogether now... :  But enough about the Cubbies...  )   sorry... OH, wait!  They are in first place (5:35pm 4/4/13)

bbtds

Wow! When I misspelled that several times I never even saw it. My apologies to everyone. I always meant to spell prostate.

LaPorteAveApostle

I was going to wait until he realized that to post one of my favorite lines of all time:

Back in the 1930's, William Lyon Phelps of Yale found the following sentence gleaming out of the pages of a freshman essay:

"The girl tumbled down the stairs and lay prostitute at the bottom."

In the margin of the paper, Professor Phelps commented: "My dear sir, you must learn to distinguish between a fallen woman and one who has merely slipped."
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa