• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GB Coach Wardle Under Investigation

Started by valpopal, April 11, 2013, 06:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay has opened an investigation of men's basketball coach Brian Wardle after the school received a complaint from the parents of a former player, alleging mistreatment.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130411/GPG020110/130411080/UWGB-opens-investigation-men-s-basketball-coach?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|&nclick_check=1

classof2014

Saw that too. Makes sense, Kam Cerroni quit mid-season and he saw pretty regular playing time.

Sultan Muhammad announced he was transferring, he also saw regular playing time.

And the 7' 1" Bross kid, who was redshirted this season is transferring.

Not too surprised that something popped up. Most players don't just quit mid-season for no good reason. Thought GB was going to have a better season than they did, perhaps Wardle played a big roll in their underachieving season.

valpopal

No matter the results of the investigation, this most likely will weaken Green Bay since it can hurt the recruiting of new players to replace the ones who have left.

valpotx

Good news for us with us probably not getting an MVC invite because of facilities  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

The kid's parents had to speak up for him? Come on. You're a 7'1 adult.

LaPorteAveApostle

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130411/GPG020110/130411080/UWGB-opens-investigation-men-s-basketball-coach-Wardle?nclick_check=1

couldn't get your link to work for me...

QuoteSince mid-February, four players have left the UWGB program. Guard Kam Cerroni left on Feb. 14, citing differences with Wardle. Shortly after the season, [7'1" center Ryan] Bross and fellow freshman Nick Arenz, who played little last season, announced their decisions to leave. On Monday, junior guard Sultan Muhammad was granted his release. Muhammad, who started all but 10 games last season, said he wanted to transfer closer to his home in Grand Rapids, Mich., because of a family matter, although he declined to discuss the matter.
also instructive:
QuoteWardle, 33, has a 47-49 record in three seasons. He is coming off his best season, going 18-16 and finishing tied for third in the Horizon League. He has four more years remaining on his contract, which pays him a base salary of $133,132 plus another $70,000 in extra income. Wardle, who was the youngest coach in Division I at age 30 when he was hired in 2010, originally signed a five-year contract. He was given one-year extensions before each of the previous two seasons.

Quote from: a3uge on April 11, 2013, 09:46:03 PM
The kid's parents had to speak up for him? Come on. You're a 7'1 adult.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

For what it's worth (probably not much):

Wardle used the F-word on the sidelines in both games at the ARC - mostly when angry over a call/no call, twice that we observed when angrily lecturing a player. Seemed like a pretty natural part of his vocabulary.  Doesn't make him a bad person - on the other hand, I wouldn't have a hard time picturing him using obscenity-laced tirades during practices.

By Wardle's own admission (kind of), GB's defensive scheme on the Ryan game-winning shot was terrible. To allow Ryan to dribble all the way from the other end of the court unimpeded instead of forcing him to dribble through defenders and eat up clock was totally inept.  Relevance: On his way back to the locker room he should have been saying, "I'm an F-ing idiot, I'm an F-ing idiot, I'm an F-ing idiot..."  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on April 12, 2013, 07:22:07 AMon the other hand, I wouldn't have a hard time picturing him using obscenity-laced tirades during practices
good. point.

if you'd use that word in front of several thousand people and televised, how much would you use it behind closed doors in front of two dozen?

the worst part will come when we as a society reach the point where no one sees that as a big deal any more.

or have we already?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 12, 2013, 07:40:21 AM
Quote from: wh on April 12, 2013, 07:22:07 AMon the other hand, I wouldn't have a hard time picturing him using obscenity-laced tirades during practices
good. point.

if you'd use that word in front of several thousand people and televised, how much would you use it behind closed doors in front of two dozen?

the worst part will come when we as a society reach the point where no one sees that as a big deal any more.

or have we already?

Coach K, who is one of the greatest of all times, curses like a sailor and has his whole career.  Does anyone think less of Coach K because of it?  Honest question.   

Here is an article on him that even mentions us!

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0306COACHK_226

QuoteAnd here was a coach who had most foully cursed everyone around him for the last twenty-five years. He cussed like a man whose mouth was on fire. He was a Chicago foundry spitting out hot nuggets of :censored: ! and :censored: ! and :censored: ! at officials, rival coaches, even--most especially--his own players. The injustice of life spewed out of him like the spray from a hydrant wrenched open in the summertime. He liked for his teams to stomp on even the weakest of opponents--the Valparaisos, the Bucknells, the Harvards--and he would curse them as they breathed their last.

classof2014

If it's just a case of Wardle swearing then I don't see what the big deal is. Many, many, many coaches swear like truck drivers. As long as he isn't abusing his players then swearing isn't too big of a deal and if some people have a problem with it then suck it up and deal with it. They're all adults and if when he is passionate he swears then who cares!?

Yes, if he is singling out players and verbally abusing them or just flat out abusing them, then there's an issue and action should be taken on the behalf of Green Bay.

wh

Coaches can get away with the cussing thing but I have never found anything particularly appealing or becoming about it.  It's a primitive, inarticulate way of showing anger or expressing frustration.  It is not a desirable quality in today's business world for people who aspire to advance to the executive level.  It is becoming increasingly less acceptable as the baby boomer dinasours continue to exit the workforce.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on April 12, 2013, 09:57:42 AMYes, if he is singling out players and verbally abusing them
Kind of hard to verbally abuse without swearing.  Not impossible, just difficult to do "well".

Quote from: wh on April 12, 2013, 10:31:06 AMIt's a primitive, inarticulate way of showing anger or expressing frustration.  It is not a desirable quality in today's business world for people who aspire to advance to the executive level. 
Amen to this, although I don't know that it's becoming less acceptable.

Quote from: valpo04 on April 12, 2013, 08:27:04 AMCoach K, who is one of the greatest of all times, curses like a sailor and has his whole career.  Does anyone think less of Coach K because of it?  Honest question.   
I didn't know that, but I certainly do.  Particularly because it causes cognitive dissonance when one thinks of his image, both physical and in the abstract.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 12, 2013, 11:27:19 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on April 12, 2013, 09:57:42 AMYes, if he is singling out players and verbally abusing them
Kind of hard to verbally abuse without swearing.  Not impossible, just difficult to do "well".

Quote from: wh on April 12, 2013, 10:31:06 AMIt's a primitive, inarticulate way of showing anger or expressing frustration.  It is not a desirable quality in today's business world for people who aspire to advance to the executive level.
Amen to this, although I don't know that it's becoming less acceptable.

Quote from: valpo04 on April 12, 2013, 08:27:04 AMCoach K, who is one of the greatest of all times, curses like a sailor and has his whole career.  Does anyone think less of Coach K because of it?  Honest question.   
I didn't know that, but I certainly do.  Particularly because it causes cognitive dissonance when one thinks of his image, both physical and in the abstract.

I am talking about cussing becoming less acceptable in the workplace, not society at large.  Here is an interesting article about the risks of profanity in the workplace:

http://www.brighthub.com/office/human-resources/articles/120765.aspx

This kind of thing was not a topic of discussion or concern 20 or 30 years ago, only more recently as workforces have become more diverse.  Some of the worst offenders are the baby boomers, who cut their teeth in business as members of the good old boys fraternity. 

classof2014

Quote from: wh on April 12, 2013, 12:36:44 PMI am talking about cussing becoming less acceptable in the workplace, not society at large.  Here is an interesting article about the risks of profanity in the workplace:

Never been to where I worked then, one of my bosses only used swear words... I digress

I don't believe that swearing as a basketball coach is all that terrible of a thing. I played sports throughout high school and when I did something wrong typically I would say "Oh F***!" and same with my coaches they would swear all the time. It was just normal. They would never swear at us but it was a way of expression or to stress a point. Yes, it can come across as unprofessional at times but sometimes in order to make a point they'll let a few F bombs or something similar will be dropped. Obviously there is a big difference between corporate world where swearing would be unacceptable and the coaching world where it is pretty commonplace. As long as Wardle wasn't swearing verbally abusing his players, I don't see the problem with him being passionate and dropping the F bomb here and there.

LaPorteAveApostle

If cursing helped at all, then Homer Drew either would have done it or settled for being a lesser coach (obviously the latter).

It's simply lazy.  And uncouth.

But far from the worst social problem facing this culture today.  I'll take Wardle over Kermit Gosnell every day.

bbtds

I don't think we should convict Wardle before all the evidence is in. If we do, on cursing alone, then, as mentioned previously, we have to convict Coach K also. Maybe some of his players were coddled and are offended by his cursing. Therefore they must find a new place to be a student athlete.

I noticed another story in the GB paper that said that 40% of all Div. I men's basketball players have transferred by the end of the sophomore year. Is that a problem with the coaches or the players?

agibson

Apparently the 7' 1" Bross was a Green Bay walk-on, and is transferring to Concordia Mequon.  So, presumably comfortable with Lutherans and the LCMS.

You'd think we'd have a shot at getting him to walk-on at Valpo!

historyman

Quote from: agibson on April 12, 2013, 02:45:39 PMApparently the 7' 1" Bross was a Green Bay walk-on, and is transferring to Concordia Mequon.  So, presumably comfortable with Lutherans and the LCMS. You'd think we'd have a shot at getting him to walk-on at Valpo!

I can't think of a player since Seth Cloclasure that played basketball at Valpo and also chose Valpo for it's "LCMS"ness. Back in the day, sure. But Valpo is decidedly Pan-Lutheran or Independent Lutheran now.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 12, 2013, 01:23:26 PM
If cursing helped at all, then Homer Drew either would have done it or settled for being a lesser coach (obviously the latter).

I remember a story of Homer stopping a practice and scolding a team member for his language after a rough play. Still, I doubt Wardle is under investigation simply because of his cursing. I was near the Green Bay bench during a couple of games and clearly heard his use of such language, which I am sure was not a secret among those at Green Bay.

One of the things that hurt Rutgers' coach in terms of language was not that he cursed but that he used terms that were labeled "homophobic," something viewed as a much more grievous offense, especially in the atmosphere of the academic world. I would think Wardle's words would most likely have to be more than cursing and include something of that sort to be seen as serious by his university's administration.

valporun

bbtds, some of that percentage of players transferring is due to the sales pitch about or expectations of playing time. If the "high school hero" isn't getting the playing time he should be getting, in his or his AAU coach's eye, he's going to move on to a school that will play him. In most cases, that means a school like Valpo benefits from a Capobianco finding he isn't going to get the court time at IU, so he'll pan around for a place where he'll get the time.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on April 12, 2013, 04:49:05 PMIn most cases, that means a school like Valpo benefits from a Capobianco finding he isn't going to get the court time at IU
Very true, but more transparency and honesty in the process (on the part of all concerned, surely) would benefit (for example) Valpo in getting four years of Capo, not two-plus :)

LaPorteAveApostle

Interesting, given the topic:
QuoteThe Illinois High School Association issued its sanctions Wednesday against state champion Harrisburg, runner-up Seton Academy and the officials for failure to enforce bench conduct during the game.

Seton Academy coach Brandon Thomas is barred from coaching his team the next two years during the postseason and Harrisburg coach Randy Smithpeters is barred next year, but Smithpeters can still coach in the postseason if he completes a teaching and modeling behavior training program. Both are on probation for the 2013-14 school year. Both schools can appeal the decisions to the IHSA board of directors.

Both coaches' actions on the court were not of the highest standard. Thomas' suspension is the result of what the IHSA said was an "obscenity-laced tirade in the presence of student-athletes in the tunnel following the first half." Thomas also threw his medal to an assistant coach and the Sting left the court without accepting the runner-up trophy.
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/columnists/mike-nieto/mike-nieto-what-have-we-learned-from-fallout-from-class/article_4fdc3200-f0f7-5468-a521-40a4fc98d053.html

WH, you may well be right about swearing becoming less acceptable!

VULB#62

Whoa!   :o

Wardle appears to be a maniac.  Check out this USAToday release about Brennan Cougill's mom's letter to the UWGB President.  Some tidbits: Wardle keeps a list on every player of "distractions" and stated that once the list hits 6 you're off the team.  He prevented Cougill from have a team dinner between the Valpo and UWM games.  There's more and she says Brennan didn't suffer as much as other team members.  It's beginning to sound like the HL and UWGB has it's own Rice to deal with.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 16, 2013, 05:31:54 AMWhoa!   :o Wardle appears to be a maniac.  Check out this USAToday release about Brennan Cougill's mom's letter to the UWGB President.  Some tidbits: Wardle keeps a list on every player of "distractions" and stated that once the list hits 6 you're off the team.  He prevented Cougill from have a team dinner between the Valpo and UWM games.  There's more and she says Brennan didn't suffer as much as other team members.  It's beginning to sound like the HL and UWGB has it's own Rice to deal with.
Good to reference the website. No, I'm not a moderator.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/16/second-mistreatment-complaint-brian-wardle/2086837/

Wardle: There's no crying in Div. I basketball!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Thought I did but was in a rush this AM.  And thanks for the helping post.  I would have caught it and modified but always appreciate a helping hand.  Having first hand experience with clinical depression (not me), it is serious and requires persons to understand, not persecute, the individual.  Meds help a lot, but sometimes they can't always do the job and the person suffering is helpless to control their behavior.  I'm certain he didn't want to cry -- it just happens. I saw Brennan in TV coverage a couple of times and he was a load.  Almost blocked Rowdy's buzzer beater.