• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Volleyball 2013

Started by original sin, July 23, 2013, 07:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on December 06, 2013, 07:25:23 PM
Quote from: covufan on December 06, 2013, 01:48:20 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on December 06, 2013, 12:21:54 PMDoes Iowa have a men's soccer program in need of a good coach (or might they be planning to start one?)  ?  If so, we're in trouble.
Not so sure it would have to be just U of Iowa.  If Coe College, Mt Mercy U, Grinnell College, Augustana or St. Ambrose have an opening, all would be a problem for VU.  Also, if the UofI Volleyball job pays an amount that is substantially more than both are making at Valpo, and there is an opportunity to develop an indoor/outdoor facility for coaching soccer in either Iowa City, Quad Cities or Des Moines, we could also be in trouble.  I'm sure the Averys have discussed the possibility of leaving VU for other opportunities in the past, and what criteria would allow one to follow the other. 

I'm sure the Avery's will be in the same situation.  I don't envey their situation, only the individual opportunities that exist for either Avery.  Good luck to them!

I would guess that both Avery's are making near the top pay at their respective positions in the Horizon.  That said, a BIG position will be difficult to turn down although moving the family for one spot might be more difficult.

Carin and Mike are both respected D-I coaches and in the prime of their careers.  I doubt that they would consider a move where only one would coach at that level.  While D-III is a great competitive environment at its level, it would be a big step backward for, in this instance, Mike and would send a signal that he's ready to spend the next 20 years at that level.  He's too young for that.  But stranger things have happened.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 06, 2013, 12:21:54 PMDoes Iowa have a men's soccer program in need of a good coach (or might they be planning to start one?)  ?  If so, we're in trouble.
and I think bbtds meant to quote you.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa