• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The New 2013 FB Season

Started by VULB#62, August 24, 2013, 10:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

In other PFL action, it looks like our conference mates kept their games against scholarship competition much closer:

Delaware 51
Jacksonville 35

Youngstown State 28
Dayton 10

Other games that I have no idea about the other team's level/division:

Pikeville 13
Morehead State 10

Grand View 21
Drake 16
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUOR63

[size=78%]After watching the game tonight, I'm curious why the coach is stuck on running a wide open spread style offense when the receivers don't catch the ball very well.  The running back seems to be a pretty good player and the O-Line seemed like they were putting a few decent drives together.  With that personnel, it seems like a smash mouth up the middle type game would be a good game plan.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]The athletes on ND were clearly superior (that's what you get with a free education).  Hopefully these guys can get a win soon so that they know their hard work this summer wasn't all for naught.[/size]

vu72

I guess there is SOME good news from last night. First, we were only penalized twice--a big improvement.  We didn't beat ourselves--we let them pulverize us! 
Second, our punter did a pretty solid job or replacing Greg Wood.  A couple over 50.  Lastly, we seem to have found a guy who can make a field goal, albeit only one, but he also made an extra point so I'll take this as good news.

I really think the coach needs to think hard about whether or not Hoffman is the guy or not.  He has a ton of experience and still only 40 some yards passing?  Perhaps Lehman or another needs to take the reins.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on August 30, 2013, 07:07:30 AMI really think the coach needs to think hard about whether or not Hoffman is the guy or not.  He has a ton of experience and still only 40 some yards passing?  Perhaps Lehman or another needs to take the reins.

This need to play Hoffman and others with the same kind of experience will ultimately lead to Carlson's downfall if he doesn't change it now. The experience these "veteran" players bring is rooted in failure. Why does the coaching staff believe that this experience will somehow turn into winning? After Lehman threw the touchdown pass Hoffman came back into the game. Does that make sense to anyone? Play the players that are successful.

KL31NY

On a positive note, the WVUR webcast appears to be working. I even heard my own voice just a moment ago on a couple promos.

mms://audiocast.valpo.edu/wvursports
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on August 29, 2013, 08:33:03 PM
This first half proves that Carlson has made no progress at all with this Valpo football team.

And this surprises you why? Can somebody let me know when there are changes made so I can pay attention again? Insanity...doing the same things over and over again expecting different results. Ugh
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

I agree that it made no sense to put Hoffman back in after Lehman had a successful drive
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on August 30, 2013, 12:14:16 AM
The issue was not on WVUR's end. The WVUR webcast was working properly in that everything was being sent correctly from the on-air board to the media encoder that packages the stream. The problem was with the audiocast.valpo.edu link that the University assigned. Over the summer the servers were changed and WVUR's website was affected as well as the stream. Both are visible and able to work on campus, but are not visible off campus. I personally tested the webcast late last week on campus and it worked fine. It was never apparent that there would be a difference in the performance between on-campus and off-campus computers. WVUR and University staff worked throughout the day on Thursday to address the concerns and will continue to do so on Friday.
Really?  No one thought to test everything.  Why don't we just assume it will work, because that is what higher educated people do.  It is 2013, right?

milanmiracle

I also find it interesting there was no game thread made for this game. Last year there was a thread every week. Have the optimists lost hope as well?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VULB#62

My bad.  I assumed, based on the fact that another thread that covered the off- and pre-season existed and that this would be the initial game thread and that subsequent games would have their own threads.  I've posted a separate St. Joe's thread to get back on track.

On the performance last night:  After 4 years, I am sadly disappointed in the fact that the D STILL cannot stop anybody early in the game.  75 yards on the first play out of the blocks?  Given our past history I would have assumed a cautious first series with safeties deep that is designed to bend but not break.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 30, 2013, 03:45:36 PM
My bad.  I assumed, based on the fact that another thread that covered the off- and pre-season existed and that this would be the initial game thread and that subsequent games would have their own threads.  I've posted a separate St. Joe's thread to get back on track.

On the performance last night:  After 4 years, I am sadly disappointed in the fact that the D STILL cannot stop anybody early in the game. 75 yards on the first play out of the blocks?  Given our past history I would have assumed a cautious first series with safeties deep that is designed to bend but not break.

Followed less than 2 minutes later with a 64 yard punt return, followed on the opening kickoff for the second half with a 90 yard return for another TD.  Special teams need some work but I think much help will come from playing against slower, smaller opponents.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Two comments:
1.  This is the first time I have ever heard of a college team being down 14-0 before making a tackle.
2.  Since Dakota is also the name of a Native American clan that is part of the Sioux nation, shouldn't they just go by "North" instead of "North Dakota"?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 31, 2013, 10:10:31 AM2.  Since Dakota is also the name of a Native American clan that is part of the Sioux nation, shouldn't they just go by "North" instead of "North Dakota"?
+100
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Quote from: vu72 on August 30, 2013, 07:07:30 AMI guess there is SOME good news from last night. First, we were only penalized twice--a big improvement. We didn't beat ourselves--we let them pulverize us! Second, our punter did a pretty solid job or replacing Greg Wood. A couple over 50. Lastly, we seem to have found a guy who can make a field goal, albeit only one, but he also made an extra point so I'll take this as good news. I really think the coach needs to think hard about whether or not Hoffman is the guy or not. He has a ton of experience and still only 40 some yards passing? Perhaps Lehman or another needs to take the reins.
If your punter is a highlight of your team's play, that is a very bad indication of how the game went.
I have to wonder if Hoffman needs to hit the bench.  He has experience, bit it isi 2-21 record experience.  On the other hand, a game like where you are overmatched is no real indication.

Let me ask this - if Valpo loses to St. Joe and William Jewell, is it time to really evaluate the coaching situation?

crusadermoe

Note that Dayton stayed close to YSU.    That is probably the only real comparison to our game.

This year looks like deja vu all over again.     Kudos to Valpotx for his guess.   

I think I have said ad nausem that they need a clear Chicago-based recruiting strategy that uses "clusters" of kids from good high schools.   
Two reasons:  You can "bring" good athletes who want to play with their mediocre athlete friends who are better students.  None are D-2 just a notch below but want to play together.   Try to tap into the HSs that have academic strength and start a pipeline.   This random "spanning the globe" strategy that pulls in the same marginal athletic ability you can find in the burbs is pretty pointless.

You need a younger coach with charisma who doesn't look like your high school chemistry teacher.

usc4valpo

Agree with your comments.  Gather smart Chiciagoland talent and got a local flavor. Also, the Cubs optimism and Joel Osteen quotes will only get you so far.

VUdad

Moe, your idea makes sense. In looking back at last year's and this year's class, a few players come to Valpo with legitimately strong talent--all-area or all-state honors. Theses players have the talent needed to make a difference at the level Valpo plays. What happens? These players definitely know how to win.  What happens?

VULB#62

It's pretty clear that the PFL is not yet at an FCS level.  Our best (Butler, USD and Jacksonville) go down convincingly to FCS iron. Marist loses to an NEC team.  MSU loses to a middle of the road NAIA team. Campbell also loses big.  Drake and Dayton looked competitive in ther loses, but Drake's is to a n NAIA school. Only Mercer wins, but it's against another NAIA school with only 1200 students.  And, of course, we know the Valpo score.  From the PFL Site: 

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE def. BUTLER, 55-14
BROOKINGS, S.D. — Host #6 South Dakota State jumped in front less than 40 seconds into the contest and the nationally-ranked Jackrabbits went on to post a 55-14 victory over Butler on Saturday (Aug. 31) night. The non-conference game at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium was the season-opener for both teams.

CAL POLY def. SAN DIEGO, 38-16
SLUIS OBISPO, Calif. – The University of San Diego football team dropped its season-opener to No. 11 Cal Poly, 38-16, Saturday AN evening in a non-conference game at Alex G. Spanos Stadium.

SACRED HEART def. MARIST, 37-21
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – Senior quarterback Chuckie Looney set Marist's career record for touchdown passes, but the Red Foxes suffered a 37-21 loss to Sacred Heart in their season opener at Tenney Stadium on Saturday night.

CHARLOTTE def. CAMPBELL, 52-7
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Beginning its inaugural (FBS) season, Charlotte posted a 52-7 win against Campbell, Saturday, at Richardson Stadium. Charlotte begins 2013 1-0 with the win, while Campbell falls to 0-1. The game was the first for both head coaches, CU's Mike Minter and the 49ers' Brad Lambert.

PIKEVILLE def. MOREHEAD STATE, 13-10
MOREHEAD, Ky. – Turnovers proved costly as Morehead State suffered a 13-10 loss to Pikeville, Thursday, at Jayne Stadium. The Eagles outgained the Bears by a 378-326 margin in total yardage and ran 16 more plays. However, Morehead State suffered three turnovers, including a pair of interception, while forcing none.

DELAWARE def. JACKSONVILLE, 51-35
NEWARK, Del. – Jacksonville scored the game's first two touchdowns but could not hold off nationally-ranked Delaware, falling 51-35, Thursday at Delaware Stadium.

GRAND VIEW def. DRAKE, 21-16
DES MOINES, Iowa – Drake's offense was stymied in the fourth quarter of a 21-16 loss to Grand View [NAIA], Thursday, at Drake Stadium. After closing to withing five points after three quarters, Drake would only cross midfield once on three fourth quarter possession and that drive was snuffed out at the Grand View 49 on an interception.

YOUNGSTOWN STATE def. DAYTON, 28-10
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – Youngstown State scored the game's first 14 points en route to a 28-10 victory against Dayton, Thursday, at Stambaugh Stadium. The Flyers were outgained by 440-270 in total yardage, thanks largely to the effort of Penguins running back Adaris Bellamy who ran for 203 yards and a touchdown on 17 carries.

MERCER def. REINHARDT, 40-37
MACON, Ga. – Mercer freshman running back Payton Usher ran for 115 yards and senior kicker Josh Shutter nailed a 31-yard field goal with three seconds left to lift the Bears to a thrilling 40-37 victory over Reinhardt University Saturday night at Mercer University Stadium. A sold-out crowd of 12,172 were on hand for the Bears' highly anticipated return to the gridiron and they got their money's worth as the Bears and Eagles battled through eight lead changes late into the night. In the end, two Shutter field goals in the final 3:17 of play were the difference as the Bears rallied from down 34-37 in the fourth quarter.

FloridaFootball

The QB needs o release the ball faster. There was some success running so that is a plus. At some point, man to man will have to be played. Cover 2 or Cover 3 with no pass rush will be get you beat on a weekly basis.

The defense was on its heals because of the offense. Longer sustained drives with key catches on third down will hello.

vu84v2

12,172 in attendance for the Mercer game is an impressive number.  It would be impressive for a FCS team at any level.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 31, 2013, 02:37:48 PMLet me ask this - if Valpo loses to St. Joe and William Jewell, is it time to really evaluate the coaching situation?
No.  Time, and evaluation, will have already passed.

valporun

Quote from: covufan on September 04, 2013, 04:13:44 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on August 31, 2013, 02:37:48 PMLet me ask this - if Valpo loses to St. Joe and William Jewell, is it time to really evaluate the coaching situation?

My guess, yes, there will be some real evaluation to consider the path for Coach Carlson, but I don't see Mark LaBarbara making a significant coaching change during the season. I say this because I don't see any of the assistant coaches that could be the interim coach until the season is over. After the final game, I could see a change coming, but not during the season.

covufan

Quote from: valporun on September 05, 2013, 11:08:12 AM

My guess, yes, there will be some real evaluation to consider the path for Coach Carlson, but I don't see Mark LaBarbara making a significant coaching change during the season. I say this because I don't see any of the assistant coaches that could be the interim coach until the season is over. After the final game, I could see a change coming, but not during the season.

I agree.  Was just saying for myself that the evaluation time will have already passed.  Agree to keep everything intact until season over.

usc4valpo

Quote from: covufan on September 05, 2013, 03:27:46 PM
Quote from: valporun on September 05, 2013, 11:08:12 AM
No. Time, and evaluation, will have already passed.
I agree. Was just saying for myself that the evaluation time will have already passed. Agree to keep everything intact until season over.
I agree with that - and rarely in college football do they make changes during the season.  My feeling is that these next 2 weeks will make or break Carlson.

VULB#62

I've met Dale and he's a really good guy.  I admire his knack for organization.  I don't think what they are doing in the off-season and on a daily basis has been seen at Valpo in a long time. I think he has brought a measure of discipline to everything that supports a "system." All of these are good off-the-field things that make a program competiive.  If I was a player, I'd say that "we have a real program going here and I'll buy in."

However, ...... what mystifies me is how, when the ball is kicked off on a Saturday afternoon, kids with good credetials and some measure of experience give up 21 (+ or -) points in the first quarter, fail to get a first down, and crumble before all competition except Campbell.  Something is missing, but I can't put my finger on it.  I want so bad for these kids to experience victory or even competitve losses, but it isn't happening.