• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

William Jewell @ Valpo

Started by VULB#62, September 08, 2013, 07:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

William Jewell Lost to Concordia Nebraska 30-15.  They trailed 23-0 at one point. WJ QB went 17-37-164yds. 2 TDs/2 Ints.

Dayton def. Duquesne, 23-20
St. Joseph's (Ind.) def. Valparaiso, 34-31  :(
Youngstown State def. Morehead State, 67-13
Northern Iowa def. Drake, 45-14
Georgetown def. Davidson, 42-6
Bucknell def. Marist, 27-14
Butler def. Wittenberg, 49-24
Campbell def. Virginia-Wise, 56-21
Florida Tech def. Stetson, 20-12
Jacksonville State def. Jacksonville, 48-13
San Diego def. Western New Mexico, 38-35

After being killed by YSU the last two years it's nice to know that YSU set Total Offense records against someone else.

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -- The No. 25 Youngstown State football team rolled up a school-record 718 yards on Saturday afternoon at Stambaugh Stadium en route to a 67-13 win over Morehead State before a crowd of 13,226.

The Penguins tallied 359 passing yards, 359 rushing yards, 33 first downs and converted 7-of-10 third-down chances. YSU's total included 207 yards in each of the first two quarters.

Freshman quarterback Austin Gahafer led Morehead State with a 16-of-23 performance, 148 passing yards and one touchdown. He also rushed for 32 yards and one score in his collegiate debut.

milanmiracle

William Jewell 35 Valpo 34

St. Joe was predicted to finish 4th in their conference, and Wiliam Jewell was predicted to finish 5th in the same conference it should be another close game, but since William Jewell is still not wearing Campbell jerseys it will be another close loss.

*it was good to see that Valpo wasn't on YSU's record books. I also think there's a bigger need to run things up than in years past. Wolford's seat is getting pretty warm in Youngstown. 3 years and no playoffis will do that there.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Since Homer is an alum, we need to thank these guys for making our Drews possible by kicking them in the family Jewells
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Concordia Nebraska is a small Lutheran college of 2200 students.  If they beat William Jewell Valpo should pound them.  If we don't then schedule Wisconsin Lutheran again, oh wait, Wisconsin Lutheran is probably way better.   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

It is time we knock out a ham and egger at home.  Valpo wins big.

Valpo 38
WJ 14

I believe this and I expect this.  If not, Carlson will be joining Lane Kiffin in the unemployment line.

bbtds

William Jewell    23
Valpo              30

Newman will kick three field goals.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

We need a win.  We need to finish a game strong, even if we are ahead. 

Valpo  -  41
Jewell  -  17

This is what we need, not that I really believe my prediction.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Newman may even win a game for Valpo this year. After I found out he wasn't the one who flubbed the first extra point against St Joe I'm even more encouraged by him.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

willy

I think this will be another close game.  I think we will score enough points to win but the defense scares me. We have given up over 500 yards of offense in both games so far.  Coach Carlson is happy about the run defense giving up less than 4 yards a carry against St. Joes but we gave up 14 yards a pass completion and 400 yards.  I don't see our future changing with this type of Carlson led defense.
But I think We'll beat William Jewel!

Valpo 24
William Jewel 21

bbtds

Quote from: willy on September 12, 2013, 11:31:44 AM
I think this will be another close game.  I think we will score enough points to win but the defense scares me. We have given up over 500 yards of offense in both games so far.  Coach Carlson is happy about the run defense giving up less than 4 yards a carry against St. Joes but we gave up 14 yards a pass completion and 400 yards.  I don't see our future changing with this type of Carlson led defense.
But I think We'll beat William Jewel!

Valpo 24
William Jewel 21

I certainly believe this result is more likely then beating anyone by more than 10 points. We just don't have the defense to stop any team for very long.

Also I wonder how good our offensive line will be this week with the injuries we suffered against St Joe. I think Valpo will compete against William Jewell but beat any team by more than 10 with our lapses on both offense and defense is not at all likely. I just hope we keep up the improvement even if the improvements are small steps.

setshot

Hope we don't lose our jewels to William Jewel. Ouch! :'(

LaPorteAveApostle

It's a good thing we haven't earned the right to look beyond any opponent, because I'm already worried about the following week, versus Theodore Osco.

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 12, 2013, 09:16:51 PM
It's a good thing we haven't earned the right to look beyond any opponent, because I'm already worried about the following week, versus Theodore Osco.

I say we kick them in the teeth and see who will save their souls now.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on September 12, 2013, 11:37:34 PM

I say we kick them in the teeth and see who will save their souls now.

I'm really worried about the game against Charles Walgreen. They started their season at the corner of Happy and Healthy.

valporun

Has there been any news about the lineman who had the major injury towards the end of Saturday's game? I forget the name of the player, but I know chef would have some information about it.

VULB#62

No info on that, Run, but I looked at the 2 deep in the latest release and 6 pure freshmen are now on the 2-Deep.  Waiting for Bama Powell to move into a starting role -- he received last week's team award for Big Play (2 of them).  Right now the 3 down DL starters are only 240, 240, 245.  Powell is 308.  The freshman kicker, Newman is now the #1 place kicker.

chef

Powell plays on must run down situations. He hasn't been listed as a starter, but has played about half the snaps. The injury to Bodzianowski was a serious one.

VULB#62

Knee?  Bods is still listed on the 2-deep as the starter. Behind him is Colm Flaherty, 6-3, 295, a junior-eligible senior. Don't lose any size, but a starter is a starter.

historyman

Quote from: chef on September 13, 2013, 02:44:19 PM
The injury to Bodzianowski was a serious one.
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 13, 2013, 07:21:31 PM
Knee?  Bods is still listed on the 2-deep as the starter. Behind him is Colm Flaherty, 6-3, 295, a junior-eligible senior. Don't lose any size, but a starter is a starter.

That's really going to hurt the run game and the protection Hoffman desperately needs to make his plays. Lets hope Bodzianowski's replacement is up to the task.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Game is being televised. Announced on the VU Athletics site.

valpotx

I am now firmly in the 'Fire Carlson' camp.  We should win games like last week and at home against William Jewell...
"Don't mess with Texas"

setshot

Welcome to the club. I think Carlson should go NOW! His leaving just might energize the team. But,ML will stay with him until the end of the 0-11 season. BOOK IT! :crazy:

milanmiracle

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 08, 2013, 09:49:46 AM
William Jewell 35 Valpo 34

St. Joe was predicted to finish 4th in their conference, and Wiliam Jewell was predicted to finish 5th in the same conference it should be another close game, but since William Jewell is still not wearing Campbell jerseys it will be another close loss.

*it was good to see that Valpo wasn't on YSU's record books. I also think there's a bigger need to run things up than in years past. Wolford's seat is getting pretty warm in Youngstown. 3 years and no playoffis will do that there.

Darn! I was soooo close...missed by a point! Ugh. William Jewell 36 Valpo 34.

Oh well...the Camels are coming! They have 2 weeks of positive quotes to get them ready. (I am not sure if I am predicting a win yet or not).
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado