• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

William Jewell @ Valpo

Started by VULB#62, September 08, 2013, 07:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enough is enough.  Same old post-game comments from Carlson.  Broken record - need to play for 60 minutes, play each play as hard as we can, great effort, great fight, etc.  He's happy to have two weeks to "get things straightened out before Campbell."  Really?  You've had over 3 years to straighten it out.  Absolutely should not have lost to this team.  What now, Mark Labarbera?

agibson

I'm no kind of football fan.  But, interesting to me that we lost while covering substantially more yardage.  They scored on 26 and 27 yard drives?  Bad punting on our part?  Or what's going on?

Ah, wait, turnovers!  Interceptions and fumbles, I guess?

historyman

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 14, 2013, 04:11:22 PMOh well...the Camels are coming! They have 2 weeks of positive quotes to get them ready. (I am not sure if I am predicting a win yet or not).

Just because we beat Campbell before doesn't mean we beat them again. With Mike Minter now as head coach you have to believe the Camels will likely have improved and unfortunately Valpo regressed against William Jewell.

No way the Crusaders should have given up the 2nd & 3rd touchdowns in the 1st & 3rd quarters. It's totally ridiculous that Valpo can't make those tackles. Awful! Just awful! Those sudden lapses in being able to make plays simply ruin the Crusaders chances at victory.

I don't believe we beat Campbell this year and it's very possible we don't win another game under Carlson.

I don't think Mark LaBarbera will replace Carlson during the season but I can't see him coming back after it's over.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

milanmiracle

Historyman - sarcasm doesn't translate well over the net. I don't think Valpo will beat the fighting Mike Minters. They've already won a game this year and by a decent margin. It will take a minor miracle for Valpo to win another game with this staff.

I really feel for the kids who have experienced very little success during their time on the field.

*it gets awful quiet around here when the Kool Aid runs out...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

Time to bring back the motivational speeches.  It worked against Campbell.

Either bag Carlson and/or bag football. 

This is embarrassing and unacceptable.  We cannot even beat a ham and egger team at home.  I feel bad for the kids and parents. This is not working - the Valpo administration need to quit wimping around, earn their big paychecks and make some tough decisions.

bbtds

http://blogs.valpo.edu/football/

The Crusaders return to Brown Field this Saturday at 1 PM to face William Jewell College from Kansas City. We were originally scheduled to play Wagner University from New York on this date. Wagner backed out after scheduling a guarantee game for this date. William Jewell had this Saturday open and we were able to work out a return game to Kansas City in 2014. It will be the first meeting between the two schools. On a side note, William Jewell is the alma mater of Dr. Homer Drew.

http://www.wagnerathletics.com/news/2013/9/14/FB_0914130643.aspx?path=football

Syracuse, NY - After opening the season with losses to Big 10 foes Penn St. and Northwestern, Syracuse Orange hit on all cylinders this afternoon in posting a 54-0 victory over Wagner in front of 33,299 fans at the Carrier Dome in the 2013 home opener for the Orange.

....the Seahawks also saw their season record fall to 1-2.

vu72

One of two things have occurred. The first is I have terribly overstated the ability of our kids.  William Jewell lost to Concordia Nebraska by 15.  We are suppose to be D1 FCS.  Something does not compute.  If we are good as we are suppose to be we should have beat the predicted 8th space finisher in their D2 conference by a minimum of 3 tds.  Instead we manage to once again lose a close one.

The second thing that comes to mind is that the kids really do have the talent but our coaching just sucks.  Given the numbers posted by Hoffman today and still a posted loss, I'll put my money on thing 2.  Time for a change.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 14, 2013, 08:26:14 PM
...the Valpo administration need to quit wimping around, earn their big paychecks and make some tough decisions.

Just to clarify, what exactly is the tough decision? If you're referring to getting rid of Carlson and his winning percentage of 6, is that really a tough decision?

That being said, I think they should keep him until his contract is up. The program can't get worse and VU will generate the same amount of money if they never win a game. Why cost the university money when they've demonstrated they're okay with losing football.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

Agree, USC,  the administration needs to step up NOW.  Do not wait until the end of the season to get rid of Carlson.  Show this team that you care.  This debacle has gone on long enough.  Two wins going into the fourth game of his fourth season is ridiculous.  This team is the laughingstock of campus.  I feel sorry for them.  They are giving it their all and are the victims of terrible coaching.  Carlson and his revolving door of coaches have managed to take a program that was already suffering to new levels of awfulness!  Not sure who would be the choice for the interim HC, but can't be any worse than what we are dealing with now!  Time for President Heckler and the Board to prove to these kids and parents who are spending a fortune for a Valpo education that they want football to succeed.  If Carlson is still here next week, we will all get the message. 

Note to 2014 recruits looking at Valpo.  Run somewhere else fast.  Things are as bad as they look and worse. 

usc4valpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 14, 2013, 08:52:03 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 14, 2013, 08:26:14 PM...the Valpo administration need to quit wimping around, earn their big paychecks and make some tough decisions.
Just to clarify, what exactly is the tough decision? If you're referring to getting rid of Carlson and his winning percentage of 6, is that really a tough decision? That being said, I think they should keep him until his contract is up. The program can't get worse and VU will generate the same amount of money if they never win a game. Why cost the university money when they've demonstrated they're okay with losing football.
The tough decision is to show some guts and either fire the coach, or if necessary and it does not fit in with the Valpo vision, get rid of football.  You cannot keep ignoring that you have a problem, and the administration is doing that right now.

You have a bye week, if you are going to can a coach during the season, this may be the time.  But there are other issues that need to be fixed besides Carlson.

VULB#62

From the PFL site:

Dayton 21, Robert Morris 14       
Jacksonville 69, Morehead State 19       
Marist 43, Georgetown 23       
William Jewell 36, Valparaiso 34       
Charleston Southern 30, Campbell 10       
Butler 31, Franklin 28       
Mercer 61, Warner 0       
Lenoir-Rhyne 34, Davidson 18

Dayton gave YSU a game and now they've beaten a NEC (some scholarships) team
Marist has beaten a Patriot League team for the first time.

usc4valpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 14, 2013, 10:26:13 PMFrom the PFL site: Dayton 21, Robert Morris 14 Jacksonville 69, Morehead State 19 Marist 43, Georgetown 23 William Jewell 36, Valparaiso 34 Charleston Southern 30, Campbell 10 Butler 31, Franklin 28 Mercer 61, Warner 0 Lenoir-Rhyne 34, Davidson 18 Dayton gave YSU a game and now they've beaten a NEC (some scholarships) team Marist has beaten a Patriot League team for the first time.
and Campbell stayed competitive with Charleston Southern!  they are not a gimme - heck what am I saying after that my weak 38-14 Valpo prediction.  No game for Valpo will be a gimme. 

valpopal

As everyone has already mentioned, the game was a great disappointment. We should have won this game as well as the game last week, and there are no excuses. Something different needs to be done.

However, as some have pointed out, we must remember that the players have extended tremendous effort at all times. Today's game was a difficult one from the moment Kent Warren was injured and in great pain. When Hutson hurt his shoulder, it appeared the offense would shut down, and it did for a while, but the team rallied in the fourth quarter. Hoffman had a record-breaking game. Of course, they fell short, but the fourth quarter was evidence of their unwillingness to give up, and I applaud that.

Even after all that happened, had a missed field goal been made or the refs not blown a call when they ruled a Valpo fumble after the player had been down by contact, the game still could have been won. I don't offer either as an excuse but as a tribute to the way the players kept fighting. I saw how easy it would have been for them to hang their heads before the fourth quarter and give up, but they didn't. Now, it will be interesting to see how they will react in the two weeks before the next game. I hope they show the same resilience.

I did take a number of photos at the game, and more than twenty can be found at Valpo Sports Photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157635528820812/

In addition, I have two here, including one that shows the injury to Warren's left leg as it begins to twist under him while being tackled:

Great post and pictures. In the end, it is all about the kids.  Keep fighting! 

usc4valpo

Outstanding photos!  I wonder which team Homer was rooting for...

VULB#62

That pic of Tevin Johnson coming out of the fog is superb!  The concentration in his eyes and the way his arms are positioned were captured at just the right time.   :thumbsup:

BTW I couldn't tell from the TV coverage or from your pics Pal, but did the visitor stands have a "Valpo Crusader Football" banner strung across the top like they do for soccer? The soccer banner has some great graphics and added to the stadium feel (what little there is of it, at least).

valpopal

Had we won the game we would be celebrating Eric Hoffman's terrific performance: 495 yards passing for four touchdowns. He could have had even greater stats since a few long passes went right through receivers' hands. I hope this gives him and the offense some needed confidence as they prepare for their next game. Congrats to Eric!

historyman

Quote from: 414 on September 14, 2013, 09:01:28 PMIf Carlson is still here next week, we will all get the message. 

Actually I think the message was delivered last year from the board when the head coach was retained. The board will allow Mark Labarbera to "let the head coach resign" (as Keith Freeman was allowed to resign) at the end of his contract but they will not hire another head coach or promote an assistant coach to head coach in the middle of the season and garner extra expenses for the football program. As far as the board is concerned to h*ll with the kids.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

milanmiracle

Quote from: 414 on September 14, 2013, 09:01:28 PMIf Carlson is still here next week, we will all get the message.

I think "all" is a bit much...there people on this board who will still defend him being retained.

historyman

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 15, 2013, 11:53:13 AM
I think "all" is a bit much...there people on this board who will still defend him being retained.

I'm not so sure there is anyone left on this message board saying to still give Carlson a chance. I just think they all believe that replacing Carlson in the middle of the season will not help anything and since the board seems to be about not overspending on athletics that the cost compared to return of promoting another person to head coach in the middle of a season is not worth it. 

Anyone want to claim that Carlson should still be extended a chance to prove he is the man to turn Valpo football around?

VULB#62

I believe Campbell and/or Davidson fired their HFBC in mid-season (actually more like early November but before the season was over) last year.  Didn't help them much but it was a statement.

Don't think there are many DC defenders, just some realists who figure the contract will be allowed to run out.   :(

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 15, 2013, 12:11:36 PMDon't think there are many DC defenders, just some realists who figure the contract will be allowed to run out.   :(

Count me among the realists...I don't think there is any way he gets fired midseason. There's a better chance of me growing antlers than for Carlson to be fired now. My guess is he's on a 5 year contract, and will be allowed to finish that contract. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's back next year.

usc4valpo

Well, I am not seeing anyone on the board defending Carlson right now.  I am sure he is a nice guy and has football knowledge, but in nicest way I can say it, this situation for him is a square peg in a round hole.   In the US, millions of talented people have failed in their job basically because it is not the right job fit.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 15, 2013, 12:32:29 PM
Well, I am not seeing anyone on the board defending Carlson right now.  I am sure he is a nice guy and has football knowledge, but in nicest way I can say it, this situation for him is a square peg in a round hole.   In the US, millions of talented people have failed in their job basically because it is not the right job fit.

I agree with this.

bbtds

St. Joe lost 35-31 to Siena Heights Univ(who?) in Rensselear on Saturday.

http://athletics.saintjoe.edu/news/2013/9/14/FB_0914134951.aspx?path=football

In a back-and-forth contest, the final two minutes received the most attention in Saint Joseph's College football teams 35-31 loss to Siena Heights University. SJC recorded 525 yards of total offense, but could not get the final five needed for victory in the last two seconds of the game.