• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Soccer Thread

Started by historyman, September 14, 2013, 12:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

It's been awhile since we defeated a top 10 team and I'm sure valpotx will remind us that while at Valpo his baseball team beat then number 1 Notre Dame!  Congrats to the soccer team who should, after beating Butler and MSU, start receiving votes! Another struggle for our friend Brandon!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

This is BIG!

But part of it is due to Mike's commitment to facing the best opposition in order to prepare for the HL schedule and hopefully going deep into the NCAA playoffs.  All their high profile games are on the road.  Everyone should watch his interview with Aaron on Valpo All-Access where he explains his approach.

Valpo Coaches Show: Mike Avery 9|11|14

I know it is not fair to compare programs, but it appears Mike has a different approach to scheduling than the MBB program at this point, and, acknowledged, 18 soccer games compared to a 30 game schedule is different, but I'm beginning to have more respect for the way Oakland goes after big opponents whenever they can get them.

valpotx

I hope that this leads to a solid conference season this year!  We seem to play really well against top competition under Avery, and outside of that one regular season championship a few years ago, need to carry that momentum to conference.  Yes, you have to love this victory, and we should be ranked much higher come the next polls.

Vu72, have to love a victory against #1 ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

It is not often we get to celebrate a win versus a top-10 team, so I thought I'd put the final score of the game against Michigan State on the record with an image that includes goal scorer Omar Lawrence #18:

covufan

After this win, Valpo has climbed to #36 in the Massey ratings (from 94)!

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=csoc&sub=NCAA I

vu72

Quote from: covufan on September 12, 2014, 12:26:36 PM
After this win, Valpo has climbed to #36 in the Massey ratings (from 94)!

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=csoc&sub=NCAA I

Interesting that we can move alittle higher with a win at Northwestern (#32) and of more interest that at #36 we still aren't the highest in the Horizon (UIC at #19).  Tough league!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

valpotx

The HL, and even the Summit, generally have good men's soccer programs.  Each has traditionally had at least one top 25 team every season for awhile now.  The Midwest has good soccer, with Indiana usually being one of the top teams.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

I've heard that Saint Louis U has one of the oldest successful programs in the United States. It started out in the catholic high schools (Irish and Italian, the Germans had not embraced football/soccer in the US yet) of St Louis and also the old East Coast towns. If anyone remembers the movie about the 1950 US World Cup team the players were Italians and one German-Harry Keough from St Louis and some East Coast guys--Keough was the head coach that brought SLU an immediate co-NCAA championship.

Upon his retirement as a player, he became coach of Florissant Valley Community College. In 1967, St. Louis University hired him away from Florissant. In his first year with the Billikens, Keough took his team to an NCAA co-championship. He then took his team to four additional championships during his tenure (1969, 1970, 1972, and 1973). When he retired from coaching in 1982, he had compiled a 213-50-23 record with SLU.

VULB#62

I happened to be checking out the HL site and looked at the scores for this past week.  Besides HL MSO teams losing to nationally ranked squads in some close scores, one result jumped out at me.  UWGB 8 - Viterbo 0.  What is a Viterbo you ask?  A Viterbo is an NAIA Catholic university in LaCrosse, WI with 2279 students.

So, I checked the box score.  Green Bay's Audi Jepson scored 5 goals.  He scored 3 in the first half  leading the Phoenix to a 5-0 lead at the break.  He then scored two more in the second half, the last coming in the 80th minute. Jepson played 81 of the 90 minutes.  GB used just 5 substitutes all game, only one of whom managed 51 minutes, the rest were 24', 15' 41' and 13.  Viterbo used 21 players, only 2 of whom played the entire 90 minutes.  The V-Hawks managed 3 shots all game,  GB 21. 

I don't know the details, but at least from the box score, in my mind, this calls into question several things:

>> Why is this even on a D-I team's schedule? Why wasn't this an exhibition?  This was a slaughter, that as the 'winning' coach, I would be embarrassed to even own up to. The UWGB coach knew coming into the game that the V-Hawks had scored exactly 2 goals and had given up 21 in 6 games.

>> Why was Jepson even on the field in the second half?  He had a hat trick by halftime.  Time to get reserves some experience.

>> Why were the starters on for so long?  In games like this the only thing that is learned is how to be a bully.  They might as well have been playing against air, so despite a player's quote on the UWGB site that it was a "confidence game," how do you build confidence when the opponent is not skilled enough to compete with you?  I can picture the final two goals (Jepson's was the last one at 80:32 BTW ) and the derisive laughter of the Green Bay players as they returned to the center circle after each score.  I can picture it, because I've seen it at the youth club level and it is not a pretty sight.

I'm having trouble respecting UWGB athletics about now.  It started with the Wardle fiasco and now this.

valpo64

AMEN!   to your thoughts, #62.

VULB#62

The men's team is banged up coming out of the two tightly scheduled games with Butler and MSU this past week (no details available) and now faces Northwestern late Wednesday night (9:30 PM KO)

NU is now 2-1-2 after dropping a match today at Ohio State 2-0.  I watched the first 30 minutes on the BTN and they are formidable.  Lots of speed and good ball control.

Our Crusaders will have their hands full.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Tie or win keeps them in the top ten in the GL region.  After playing at NC State and MSU, the venue should not be intimidating to these kids. Butler Bowl is also tough on visiting soccer teams.  Mike will prepare them well. 

VULB#62

valpopal

For the second time this season Jordan James scored the winning goal in double-overtime. Last time it was against Butler. Tonight, it was an exciting close to a tough game against Western Illinois, as the team came back from being behind 1-0 at the end of the first period to win 2-1.

valpotx

Again, a sign that the Marketing program is getting students out, in that we had 650+ at the game!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Great Horizon League video interview with Omar Lawrence Interview: Omar Lawrence on Vimeo
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

[tweet]514616294428377088[/tweet]

valpotx

The big difference so far this year, has been our play in close games.  In seasons past, we would either draw, or lose by 1 goal in these types of games that we are now winning.  Hopefully we can keep this up in conference!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Based on the HL website,

Both the VU @ Belmont and the Dayton @ Valpo MSO matches will be streamed on the HL Network.

valpotx

Valpo wins 2-1 at Belmont!  I know that Vu72 put this in the Volleyball thread, but thought that I would post it here as well!  We are now 5-1-2 (1-0)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

[tweet]516615177698283520[/tweet]

valpotx

How awesome!  I believe that this is our first national ranking (top 25) in any sport, since we were there after the 1997-1998 season in Men's Basketball?  On top of that, our RPI is #9!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/msoccer/news/2014-15/13938/crusaders-battle-with-dayton-resume-league-action-with-trip-to-uic/#.VCl22vldUXg
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

VERY tough game tonight against Dayton. 

In Mike's Soccer news letter, he talked about eluding the "bear trap" at Belmont and then went on to mention that the team was banged up going onto Belmont, got the result anyway, and came out of the game even more banged up going into Dayton.  He also explained why they play OOC Dayton on Monday and then almost immediately turn around to face regionally ranked UIC in conference play on Wednesday.  Had to do with the league scheduling Belmont for Valpo this past Friday.  Mike had the opportunity to cancel Dayton, but he and the team chose to move the date one day rather than lose a quality opponent at home.  It's all about his "we'll play anyone, anywhere, anytime" philosophy of building the program.

The Flyers are 4-3-1 on the year and beat Ohio State, 1-0, on Saturday. Brian Richards leads Dayton with three goals, while Amass Amankona and Rafael Gamboa top the team with three assists apiece. Chris Froschauer has started all eight games and posted five shutouts with a .61 GAA.  It's gonna be a defensive struggle.

Monday's match will be streamed live at HorizonLeague.com through the Horizon League Network.