• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU FB vs. Bye

Started by VULB#62, September 14, 2013, 06:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 17, 2013, 06:42:46 PMWell, it is Tuesday and again the Valpo administration once again showed they did not care or they have no guts to make a change.
You're wasting your time. It will not happen before the next game. It will not happen during the season either. Valpo football and it's fans will actually be fortunate if it happens during the off season but if the coaching change does happen it will happen then, not before. As chef would say, "You can bet on that."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

Quote from: historyman on September 17, 2013, 07:06:02 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 17, 2013, 06:42:46 PMWell, it is Tuesday and again the Valpo administration once again showed they did not care or they have no guts to make a change.
You're wasting your time. It will not happen before the next game. It will not happen during the season either. Valpo football and it's fans will actually be fortunate if it happens during the off season but if the coaching change does happen it will happen then, not before. As chef would say, "You can bet on that."
Thanks for your insight and a reality check for me.  It is a shame the administration allows this embarrassment to move forward.  This would have been a decent time to fix this.

agibson

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 15, 2013, 07:48:14 AM1600 dedicated fans were there for the opening game for WJ.  That is a sad attendance for an opening game under nice weather.

But a good target for men's soccer!  A few more wins and they might have a shot.

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 18, 2013, 06:14:09 AM
Thanks for your insight and a reality check for me.  It is a shame the administration allows this embarrassment to move forward.  This would have been a decent time to fix this.

I'll go one step further...Coach Carlson will be at Valpo until his contract is up (whenever that might be). It just doesn't make any sense financially to do it any other way. Success on the field doesn't generate much additional income for the University, and the program is at absolute rock bottom, so what's the difference if they wait until the end of this season? Valpo plays D1 non scholarship football, I think that in and of itself tells you how much of a priority VU places on football.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 18, 2013, 01:20:42 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 18, 2013, 06:14:09 AM

I'll go one step further...Coach Carlson will be at Valpo until his contract is up (whenever that might be). It just doesn't make any sense financially to do it any other way. Success on the field doesn't generate much additional income for the University, and the program is at absolute rock bottom, so what's the difference if they wait until the end of this season? Valpo plays D1 non scholarship football, I think that in and of itself tells you how much of a priority VU places on football.
[/b]

I don't think that's right at all.  Schools like Davidson, Georgetown, Drake, Butler and all the others choose to play non-scholarship because it makes the most financial sense.  All these fine institutions are in  the same boat yet somehow figure out how to have a winning program.  Accepting less than stellar performance, or no performance at all has nothing to do with the level of play from a Divisional level or scholarship level.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

Quote from: VUdad on September 15, 2013, 07:40:46 PMSecond thought--the team needs a leader or two. Watching the sidelines Saturday showed no player working his teammates (a very different vibe than the random guy who throws down his helmet). In conversations with a few players' dads, they agreed that the team (especially on offense) doesn't have a player positioned to light up his fellow players. Or has their respect. That's a key ingredient to win or turnaround a floundering program. It's been said that in football, the energy on the sidelines spills onto the field for teams that win, and vice versa for teams that don't. 

I get what you are asking for, I really do. It's going to take a VERY special player, or group of players to turn this thing around. I don't know if you were on this forum when they played Jacksonville, but I watched that whole debacle. Only one other time have I felt so bad for a group of kids playing a game. I said it then, and I'll say it now. He absolutely sacrificed those kids that day all in the name of a "system" that had absolutely no chance of working that day. Developing a system is fine, developing a system against a team that's better designed to stop it than you are to run it is outlandish! There wasn't even any clock management to try to limit the bleeding. They'd line up and hike the ball 10 seconds into the play clock...on a punt! Maybe since they score every time they touch the ball, you might want to think about limiting possessions and opportunities? Maybe? He's got a saying this year, "what's important now"...where the heck was it then! I think that saying is very self serving. I think the saying should be, "save my job now because if I allow this debacle to continue I'll be unemployed when my contract is up". Jacksonville was very kind that day to Valpo and that's the ONLY reason they didn't hit 100. It's bad when you throw a wide receiver screen and the corner can get to the ball almost as fast as the receiver, without gambling and jumping a route.

From a Fox Sports article a couple of years ago..."It was humiliating, McCarty recalls, that one game. Valpo's football team was already 0-6, struggling under a new head coach after winning only a single game the year before. Then It was humiliating, McCarty recalls, that one game. Valpo's football team was already 0-6, struggling under a new head coach after winning only a single game the year before. Then Jacksonville University came to town, and everything went wrong. A punt was blocked and recovered in the end zone. An interception was returned for a touchdown, then another. Two and a half hours after opening kickoff, McCarty's team had lost, 86-7, and any optimism for a year that was supposed to be this struggling program's new beginning had vanished.

The team took a knee around their coach. Alumni and classmates had long since left the stands. McCarty's parents, who'd driven three hours to see their son's team get crushed, waited by the gate. The coach gave a short postgame pep talk, then players walked toward their locker room. McCarty could almost feel it: the moment when much of the team checked out.Jacksonville University came to town, and everything went wrong. A punt was blocked and recovered in the end zone. An interception was returned for a touchdown, then another. Two and a half hours after opening kickoff, McCarty's team had lost, 86-7, and any optimism for a year that was supposed to be this struggling program's new beginning had vanished.

McCarty could almost feel it: the moment when much of the team checked out."

Here's the thing...the team is 2-34 under Coach Carlson. What do you think is going to happen to kids psyche when they've been beaten, humiliated, made the laughingstock of the university and they have a coach who won't adapt to their strengths. It's a minor miracle they even have guys around who care enough to suit up at this point. I can't imagine they have any faith in their coach, I wouldn't. It has to be hard, very hard, to lose that much that often, and not really see things get better. What changes have they made to "the system" to improve their chances for success? None that I've seen.

Really think about what you are asking these kids to do and overcome. My hats off to them, I don't know if I could do it...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on September 18, 2013, 01:43:09 PM
I don't think that's right at all.  Schools like Davidson, Georgetown, Drake, Butler and all the others choose to play non-scholarship
because it makes the most financial sense.
  All these fine institutions are in  the same boat yet somehow figure out how to have a winning program.  Accepting less than stellar performance, or no performance at all has nothing to do with the level of play from a Divisional level or scholarship level.

I don't think I made my point very well...sorry about that. I am not saying you can't win as a non scholarship program, I am saying football is not really very high on the universities list of things they're willing to invest in. It makes financial sense to have scholarship football for 200+ D1 universities, but not Valpo? Interesting. I wonder why that is? It's also interesting how many other universities manage to fund things like stadiums, arena's and you know, a track! Hmm...

I get your point, and I am sure you get mine too.

willy

I feel sorry for the kids who pour their heart and soul into Valparaiso University's football program!  The kids come to Valparaiso because it is a great academic school and they get the chance to continue to play the game they love.  They come to Valparaiso to turn this program around and make it something the university and the community can be proud of.  Only to realize it seems, the players commitment to the program runs deeper than the university's.

valpotx

I've said it several times before when this is brought up, but a new football stadium and more resources will in NO WAY affect the current football players ability to win games.  These things will only help to recruit BETTER football players, not increase the likelihood that the current players will win.  Don't get me wrong, as I feel bad for the players that we lose all of the time, but we need to be realistic that the guys showing up to play for the program know what they are getting into when they see the facilities on their visits.  Changing their facility will not make them winners, they have to do it for themselves. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: willy on September 18, 2013, 02:51:02 PMOnly to realize it seems, the players commitment to the program runs deeper than the university's.

Bingo! It is time for the university's attitude to change towards football. The first change that should be made is a new coach and then they can address the facilities, equipment, funding that are required to actually win. I just don't believe the board of directors has the will or desire to invest in what it takes to make the football team a winning program.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 18, 2013, 02:40:45 PM
Quote from: vu72 on September 18, 2013, 01:43:09 PM
I don't think that's right at all.  Schools like Davidson, Georgetown, Drake, Butler and all the others choose to play non-scholarship
because it makes the most financial sense.
  All these fine institutions are in  the same boat yet somehow figure out how to have a winning program.  Accepting less than stellar performance, or no performance at all has nothing to do with the level of play from a Divisional level or scholarship level.

I don't think I made my point very well...sorry about that. I am not saying you can't win as a non scholarship program, I am saying football is not really very high on the universities list of things they're willing to invest in. It makes financial sense to have scholarship football for 200+ D1 universities, but not Valpo? Interesting. I wonder why that is? It's also interesting how many other universities manage to fund things like stadiums, arena's and you know, a track! Hmm...

I get your point, and I am sure you get mine too.

Yes I do my friend.  I suppose the difference is simple.  Being non-scholarship isn't necessarily a bad thing or one that somehow paints you into a "loser" or "cheapskate" mode.  As I stated earlier, with schools like Georgetown and Davidson in the same category we have good company.  Miracle's point is very valid and just points to commitment by the administration, alumni and sports fans at Valpo in my view.  Mercer plays at the same level and plays in a brand new facility.  I doubt very seriously that anyone in D1 non-scholarship has worse facilities and I certainly could be wrong.  Those who travel with the team or ex-players could comment on this.  If there are worse facilities then a double shame on you to Valpo as someone with worse facilities finds a way to attract a winning coach and players.

Willy's point is also a good one.  The player's commitment is CLEARLY bigger.  Witness the fact that what? 30 of them stayed all summer to workout?  I doubt other similar programs had that kind of participation.  There is only one answer to an attempt to stop the bleeding and we all know what that answer is.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on September 18, 2013, 01:43:09 PMValpo plays D1 non scholarship football, I think that in and of itself tells you how much of a priority VU places on football.
[/b]

I don't think that's right at all.  Schools like Davidson, Georgetown, Drake, Butler and all the others choose to play non-scholarship because it makes the most financial sense.  All these fine institutions are in  the same boat yet somehow figure out how to have a winning program.  Accepting less than stellar performance, or no performance at all has nothing to do with the level of play from a Divisional level or scholarship level.
Valpo, along with many other schools that had NCAA Division I programs for most sports except football, was forced to go Division I in all sports.  That is the driver for the PFL - like minded institutions that wanted to be Division I in football, but non-scholarship, so it wouldn't have to compete with Division I and I-AA programs that gave scholarships.  As pointed out, there are schools that have had success at the non-scholarship level, which is an example of the schools commitment to football.  Valpo has shown it is not committed to football, but not by being in the PFL, but by letting mediocre to bad PFL seasons be the norm.  In the 20 previous seasons of PFL play, Valpo has only had four non-losing seasons in the PFL.  I don't care if Valpo is in a non-scholarship league, but they need to be competitive.  A 0.500 season or better in the PFL should be the expectation, not the exception. 

If the hiring of Dale Carlson was the first step in making the Valpo football team competitive, as stated in the strategic plan from 2012: Goal 2.4: Finish in the top 3 in the Pioneer Football League while winning the Championship at least once every four years; then the last few weeks fall woefully short of this goal. 

Valpo is in the PFL not because Valpo does not care about football, but because Valpo cares about being Division I in everything else.  The Valpo Administration commitment to football needs to be more than words in a strategic plan.  And soon.

crusadermoe

Great post covufan.    That really sums up the reasonable goals.   Goals imply consequences or the authority at the top means nothing.

Hats off to LaBarbera for all the other sports.   If this is last year of FB contract I would guess we get an announcement in late November.

covufan

usc4valpo

Quote from: covufan on September 18, 2013, 05:39:20 PMValpo is in the PFL not because Valpo does not care about football, but because Valpo cares about being Division I in everything else. The Valpo Administration commitment to football needs to be more than words in a strategic plan. And soon.
excellent point, and based on this, my conclusion is that if Valpo is not committed to make football work, then drop the sport.   It would be more beneficial to the school if they dropped football than having this lackidaiscal attitude from the key stakeholders and continue that dismal performance.   Right now, very few people care, and it will stay this way unless the status quo is gone.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 18, 2013, 06:55:36 PM
Quote from: covufan on September 18, 2013, 05:39:20 PMValpo is in the PFL not because Valpo does not care about football, but because Valpo cares about being Division I in everything else. The Valpo Administration commitment to football needs to be more than words in a strategic plan. And soon.
excellent point, and based on this, my conclusion is that if Valpo is not committed to make football work, then drop the sport.   It would be more beneficial to the school if they dropped football than having this lackidaiscal attitude from the key stakeholders and continue that dismal performance.   Right now, very few people care, and it will stay this way unless the status quo is gone.
I certainly can't blame anyone for feeling this way.  I believe chef and others closer to the administration that say Valpo cares about the football program.  But the numbers are not there.  Since Coach Amundsen had a string of five winning seasons end in 1973, we've had eight winning seasons, two 0.500 seasons, and 29 losing seasons.  This should not be acceptable. 

There are a number of schools that in the last few years have either brought back football after several years, or started football from scratch.  I've heard rumblings that Evansville, and other schools that have dropped football for monetary (or lack of caring) reasons, are now reconsidering those decisions.  I'd hate to see Valpo give up on football, but I understand your frustration with the current state of Valpo football.  When one person says it, there are many others thinking the same thing.  With only 1600 showing up for the home opener, the revenue stream has to be down as well.  I hope that alumni that show up for homecoming show their displeasure by boycotting the game, spending their money someplace else while watching other games on TV.  If Valpo knows that they have xxx number of alumni in town for dinners and other activities, and only 1/10 of xxx show up for the game, maybe they'll get the hint (but I doubt it). 

I really hope that Carlson junks his "system", and allows all of the coaches input to put these players in a position to win.  I'd even accept the lonesome polecat, for those that remember Koch's last season.

usc4valpo

Go Cookie! 

I remember that classic 1981 season when the offense did not score until homecoming in the fourth quarter.  They played Albion in the third game of the season,  where the placekicker attempted a 25yard FG that was kicked short of the uprights - and this is not a typo.

VUdad

Milan--I understand your point about the coach's responsibility for what's happening. My point on team leadership was not intended as an indictment of players. Instead, I simply tried to point out a missing element on this team to consider. And if/when a special player(s) does happen to grab hold of the leadership challenge and have a positive impact on his teammates, win or lose, I hope he captures the attention he deserves from all of us watching from the stands. Like you, I assume, I'm definitely far more concerned about the players and their character formation then the coach and his offensive formations. (Pun intended)

VULB#62

Facility Guy here.  Those of you who know my posts know how much I believe that Valpo has to upgrade all of its facilities -- especially the non-track and Brown Field.  That winning $400 million Powerball ticket I just bought would have that happen by next fall.

HOWEVER, I will go on the record as stating that a new granstand will not stop an opposing TB from breaking a 72 yard run against us or prevent a KO from going the distance against us.  The only thing that will stop that is (a) talented kids willing to play a team focused game and (b) a coaching staff that knows how to the get very best out of every kid who steps on the field.  I sincerely believe we have (a). But without (b) we are condemned to repeat past experiences.  Isn't insanity defined as making the same mistake over and over expecting a different result? In 3.273 seasons the same mistakes (not by the players; I'm referring the systems and the processes that are used to put the kids on the field) are repeated over and over.  Insanity.

Back to facilities.  They are nice to have, but they don't win games.  Well coached FB teams win games regardless of how good or bad the facilities are.  Tex is right.  The kids who come to Valpo know what they are getting into facilitry-wise, but they come anyway believing they can make a difference -- only to find out that no matter how hard they want it, they are not given the guidance to achieve it.

bluehorseshoe

A great deal of insight here...yet seems like the same system...same results. Hopefully some changes are made in both the system and approach to the games.For example,  I know this freshman class IS talented and it would be a shame if they get bogged down in the mayhem.  Saw some nice plays and motivated players at the scrimmage when they got in there...maybe rotate some in and turn em loose!!! Nothing to lose.

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on September 18, 2013, 07:36:32 PMI hope that alumni that show up for homecoming show their displeasure by boycotting the game, spending their money someplace else while watching other games on TV.  If Valpo knows that they have xxx number of alumni in town for dinners and other activities, and only 1/10 of xxx show up for the game, maybe they'll get the hint (but I doubt it). 

I think if you are an alum, who only comes for Homecoming once every few years, the curiosity of seeing why Valpo football is so bad gets the best of you and you end up going to the game. You might leave early after the team gets down a few touchdowns (okay, maybe not against Campbell this year) and find something else to do. Even if you do stay till the end, when they lose it will be extremely disappointing. You will draw your own conclusions but I don't think ultimately it will change anything.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: historyman on September 18, 2013, 03:06:33 PM
Quote from: willy on September 18, 2013, 02:51:02 PMOnly to realize it seems, the players commitment to the program runs deeper than the university's.

Bingo! It is time for the university's attitude to change towards football. The first change that should be made is a new coach and then they can address the facilities, equipment, funding that are required to actually win. I just don't believe the board of directors has the will or desire to invest in what it takes to make the football team a winning program.

If the VU Board is actually going to address substantial facility upgrades, basketball as the flagship should be the priority and should not compete with football in this regard.  Both the basketball and football venues are garbage, but the difference is that the basketball program has had far more success with what it has had to work with generally. Address basketball first and then football.

usc4valpo

Quote from: willy on September 18, 2013, 02:51:02 PMI feel sorry for the kids who pour their heart and soul into Valparaiso University's football program! The kids come to Valparaiso because it is a great academic school and they get the chance to continue to play the game they love. They come to Valparaiso to turn this program around and make it something the university and the community can be proud of. Only to realize it seems, the players commitment to the program runs deeper than the university's.
Has the administration ever been directly asked about the football situation?

VUOR63

What is Bernardi doing now?  Will he come back and coach?

Valpo89

Quote from: VUOR63 on September 19, 2013, 12:20:49 PM
What is Bernardi doing now?  Will he come back and coach?
Sam has a great gig at Valpo High School. He is "dean of students" or something like that and, I believe, the offensive coordinator for the football team.
I know he's probably making more than he ever did as Tom Horne's defensive coordinator.